Douglas Rome
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Mark I and Standard

What's the difference? thanks, douglas
Old 01-01-2017, 07:11 PM
Irish Bird Dog
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Standard was first version with fixed sights

Mark I is first try at target type with adj rear sight

there are now versions: Mk II, Mk III, Mk IV out
Old 01-01-2017, 07:59 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Both the RST and Mark I pistols can be subdivided by the design of the grip frame, A54 and A100.

There are also 22/45 versions of the Mark II, Mark III and Mark IV pistols.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:19 AM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
Mark I will say Mark I on the side of the receiver. If it is not a MK II and does not say so on the side of the receiver and has fixed sights ,then it is a standard.
Generally there is a 50-75$ difference in value for the standard and Mark I . Many people call a standard a Mark I incorrectly .
Old 01-02-2017, 12:04 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Rome View Post
What's the difference? thanks, douglas
Maybe this will help you a little bit with a visual interpretation:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=507788

Just click on the above link.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:27 PM
Model 52
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At the end of the day a Mk I is a Mk I if it is stamped Mk I.

The A54 frame "old model" Standard Model pistols could be had with adjustable sights as factory option, so you'll find a smaller number of A54 framed standard model pistols with adjustable sights.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:16 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
Standard with adjustable sights? Just curious where you found that. I know RL Wilson's book is not all encompassing but he does not mention that and I have messed with Ruger 22 pistols for 50+ years and never ran upon that fact ?
No insult intended just curious?
Old 01-03-2017, 06:09 AM
HIghstandardguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
+1 ???
Old 01-03-2017, 09:47 AM
schutzen-jager

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIghstandardguy View Post
+1 ???
+2 - A54 + A100 grip frames not relevant to this topic - standard +mk1 used both style - all mk. 1 came from factory with adjustable sights - all standard models came from factory with fixed sights ( early models wth 1/4" rear dovetails , later models had 1/2" dovetails ) - lots of standard models around with non factory after market adjustable sights -
Old 01-03-2017, 10:08 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStacy View Post
Standard with adjustable sights? Just curious where you found that. I know RL Wilson's book is not all encompassing but he does not mention that and I have messed with Ruger 22 pistols for 50+ years and never ran upon that fact ?
No insult intended just curious?

+ 3 My interest was piqued also. I have every conceivable reference book on the Ruger Mark pistols that's been published, and even a couple that are out of print that I've been able to get my paws on. I don't find any information in those tombs that references adjustable sights being offered as a factory option for the early Standard pistols.
Now, I know Ruger has done some strange, one-of-a-kind offerings and I'd sure like to see something in print where they did indeed offer adjustable sights, but the ONLY reference I have been able to locate involves the introduction of the Ruger Mark I Target in 1951 that came from the factory with a rear adjustable sight, made by Micro Sights.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:54 AM
SATCOM2
US Army Disabled American Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Standards w/adj sights

I have a RST4 Standard 4 1/2”, Red Eagle, #207X, shipped 1949 (yes 1949, the 737th gun made as none were made from 0666-2000) type 1A, with micro adjustable rear sights and large hooked from sight. It did not leave the Ruger factory that way. People modified or had modified by gun smiths, their RST4s by adding a Micro rear sight and taller front sight. They copied the first MARK I (T-678) which arrived in 1951 starting at serial #15000. As noted by two members above.

Ruger purchased their sights from Micro Sights for years and were available to the public. I have a Single Six Flatgate from 1956 done the same non original way. Also people did same kind of work on RST6s. All this explains “My brother-in-law's grandfather had an adjustable sight RST4, cause he saw it.” The micro sighted RST4 looks odd but the Flatgate looks down right ugly. Plenty of these type Ruger around but none of them left the factory that way.

SATCOM

Last edited by SATCOM2; 01-13-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:43 AM
irishbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Douglas, you asked for the time and instead learned how to build a watch!

These guys have great info and are definitely SMEs (subject matter experts) on all things Ruger rimfires.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:19 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCOM2 View Post

Ruger purchased their sights from Micro Sights for years and were available to the public. I have a Single Six Flatgate from 1956 done the same non original way. Also people did same kind of work on RST6s. All this explains “My brother-in-law's grandfather had an adjustable sight RST4, cause he saw it.” down right ugly. Plenty of these type Ruger around but none of them left the factory that way.The micro sighted RST4 looks odd but the Flatgate looks

SATCOM
I have a 3 screw Single Six with the fixed rear sight. I have inquired to Ruger and was told there was no way to convert my SS to an adjustable rear sight. Your reference to your flat gate really caught my interest. Could you put up a picture of it? Did Micro Sight use the existing 6.7mm [the width of mine - yours may have differed] dovetail or was a larger dovetail milled for the sight? Did the front sight have to be altered as well?
I have a 1979 RST w/4 3/4" barrel that I converted to a set of Millet sights. My shooting dramatically improved. The front sight is quite a bit taller than the original front sight which makes it a little difficult to use my original Ruger holster. I understand they are no longer available. BTW, I also agree that fixed sight Rugers
should be referred to as RSTs, particularly since the pistol can still be bought with nonadjustable rear sights.

VH