Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:01 PM
1911-GATOR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Clark Custom Ruger Mark I

Hello and Happy New Year. I've been viewing topics on this forum on and off for a while but never got around to posting anything. So I thought I'd start the new year off with a post of the first gun I ever purchased, a Ruger Mark I Target Model. Bought new in late-1979 when I was a broke college professor with a young family to support and student loans to pay off.

An interest in bullseye shooting led me to pick up a set of custom Herrett stocks in February 1980 and to, eventually, send the pistol off to Jim Clark for some of his special magic in December 1982. The bullseye thing didn't work out too well and even though I've bought, traded and sold a few firearms since 1979, I've kept the very first one:

Thanks for looking. Ed
Old 01-02-2017, 08:40 AM
jason_garvin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't blame you for keeping that one, rather unique. Probably shoots real good too.

Jason G
Old 01-02-2017, 09:28 AM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
That is a beauty and I bet it shoot excellent !!
I would love to find some of those old Herrett shooting star grips.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:34 AM
1911-GATOR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Ruger shoots fantastic and has been very reliable from day one. My hand size is a bit larger than it was in 1980 so the Herretts don't fit as well anymore. No worries since I plan to use a set of Hogue wrap around thumb rest grips for range trips. I'll store the Herrett stocks just to keep the set togther. Thanks for the replies. Ed
Old 01-02-2017, 12:01 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911-GATOR View Post
Hello and Happy New Year. I've been viewing topics on this forum on and off for a while but never got around to posting anything. So I thought I'd start the new year off with a post of the first gun I ever purchased, a Ruger Mark I Target Model. Bought new in late-1979 when I was a broke college professor with a young family to support and student loans to pay off.

An interest in bullseye shooting led me to pick up a set of custom Herrett stocks in February 1980 and to, eventually, send the pistol off to Jim Clark for some of his special magic in December 1982. The bullseye thing didn't work out too well and even though I've bought, traded and sold a few firearms since 1979, I've kept the very first one:

Thanks for looking. Ed

Hey Ed............... to the Ruger Mark I forum. That pistol sure looks to have been well taken care of. I'm sure that Mr. Clark installed his version of a "pre-travel" screw in the front face of the receiver, just above the trigger guard.

Back in the day I passed on a couple of Clark built Ruger Mark I "tuned" target pistols. It was just too early during my efforts to apply extra funds toward machinery purchases, etc.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:37 PM
1911-GATOR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
Hey Ed............... to the Ruger Mark I forum. That pistol sure looks to have been well taken care of. I'm sure that Mr. Clark installed his version of a "pre-travel" screw in the front face of the receiver, just above the trigger guard.

Back in the day I passed on a couple of Clark built Ruger Mark I "tuned" target pistols. It was just too early during my efforts to apply extra funds toward machinery purchases, etc.
Hello. Thanks for the reply. Yes, it does have the pre-travel screw above the trigger guard. I do my best to keep my pistols operating as they should and looking great - cheaper than trashing them and buying new ones. Have a great day. Ed
Old 01-02-2017, 07:37 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
very nice looking mkI
Old 01-02-2017, 09:41 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice, that pistol definitely is a keeper!