Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:13 PM
Eglock86

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to Eglock86
Son's first gun (from santa)

I thought I'd share my son's first pinker/critter getter, Santa's elf's found an old red pad 10/22 stock cut it down to about 12 l.o.p. and ground the pad. He also had a holster maker (cbleatherworks) make him a custom sling complete with his name and some art work. Then he went and put a new Simmons 8point 3-950 (Wich by the way kinda impressed me and I'm a Swarovski guy). End result, 1 very happy little boy. He shoots it very well. I kept the original stock for when he grows up. I spent last year building a custom long range gun in 300rum and after my brother in law recent purchase of a ruger 17wsm and my son with his 10/22 the last few days I think a 22mag will be my next build

Last edited by Eglock86; 01-02-2017 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Phone is stupid
Old 12-29-2016, 05:43 PM
DSCR
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Awesome!
Old 12-29-2016, 06:25 PM
LDThornton

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
That's one happy boy!.......

Old 12-30-2016, 10:16 AM
Pappy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very good. He looks happy.

The next step is eye and hearing protection.

Sent from my keyboard using Hunt-n-Tap.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:19 PM
A square 10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
lucky young man , the eyes and ears are way too important , he does look happy
Old 01-02-2017, 09:21 PM
RCP Phx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
The next step is eye and hearing protection.
No, that should have been the FIRST step, "Safety First"!
Old 01-03-2017, 07:13 PM
Eglock86

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow lots of nazis on here. He wears hearing protection when daddy shoots his big guns, I didn't know that ear muffs and safety glasses were part of squirrel hunting or small varmint shooting. It's a .22 not a 50 cal. Maybe I'm old school.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:22 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eglock86 View Post
Wow lots of nazis on here. He wears hearing protection when daddy shoots his big guns, I didn't know that ear muffs and safety glasses were part of squirrel hunting or small varmint shooting. It's a .22 not a 50 cal. Maybe I'm old school.
Whoa! I really don't think it's necessary to resort to name calling here. This is not the first time I've seen the "tsk, tsk" when members see a child shooting without eye and ear protection. While I insist on it during target shooting for my own kids, I get where you're coming from as we have all gone hunting with a 22 and certainly would not be wearing ear protection if we want to hear the tree rats. That said, when sitting at the bench shooting a couple hundred rounds downrange, actions tend to get fouled and an OBD can throw brass out the ejection port and do some real damage, not just to the shooter but to people standing nearby. The membership here is very safety oriented, please try to take their advice in the manner intended, they simply do not want to hear the heartache story of an injury that could have been avoided through simple protective measures.

And my hat is off to you, sir
for making a young man very happy and bringing him up in the sport.

WELCOME to RFC

DrGunner
Old 01-04-2017, 09:21 AM
ArtS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DrGunners right. I shot a lot of rounds last year and had at least three fingers cut and two impacts on my safety glasses from "shrapnel" from both my gun and neighboring benches from one cause or another. With centerfires, there is really very little chance of needing safety glasses except in the extremely rare instance of a catastrophic failure. The autoloader .22 is just the opposite; crap flies out of every hole with regularity when shooting them. Shaved lead, unburned powder blowback, carbon and sometimes brass are all ejected. They define the need for safety glasses.

Regarding sound, subsonic target ammo is general pretty safe ( I have actually measured the instantaneous levels) but if shooting high velocity or hunting ammo, the impulse level is above OSHA limits. Fact is that most of the sound level with a .22 is due to the supersonic velocity of the bullet, not the few grains of powder. That's the reason for the popularity of silencers on them.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Everyone is just trying to keep the little guy safe.

Congrats on the young 'un. Will probably bee outshooting you before long.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:34 PM
Eglock86

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lol sorry fellas, the correct term I meant to use was "safety nazis" we say it around the shop jokingly . I didnt mean to come off aggressive. But thanks guys I hear what your saying and I appreciate it. We practice great safety and we will as long as I'm teaching him
Old 01-05-2017, 04:44 AM
ThunderStick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congrats on bringing a new life time member into the shooting sports! All of us have an idea of how much safe is "safe enough". Have fun!
Old 01-05-2017, 08:50 AM
Nomack
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStick View Post
Congrats on bringing a new life time member into the shooting sports! All of us have an idea of how much safe is "safe enough". Have fun!

Ditto. My son is 12 and now working his way into competitive shooting, and chasing elusive small game. I enjoy watching him almost as much as I enjoy shooting.