Ruger MK1 not firing, Help! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:19 PM
superdavebigD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger MK1 not firing, Help!

My 1970's MK1 5 1/2 heavy barrel is not firing/dropping the hammer.

At the range, it does not fire with loaded mag inserted but fired with mag out (1 in the chamber).

I toyed with it today at home, unloaded. Trying with and without mag(same result).

After I cock the bolt back and release it:
-Majority of the time it won't fire.
-Sometimes it will fire.
-Sometimes I can feel it wanting to catch but won't fire.

Please help a brotha out. I adore this pistol and want it working.

Last edited by superdavebigD; 12-05-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:31 AM
HIghstandardguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Did you try different magazines? You don't say anything about your maintenance regime or round count, so I would start with a detailed cleaning. Carefully inspect each part for damage or excessive wear.

Last edited by HIghstandardguy; 12-06-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:41 AM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Sounds like you need a new hammer . It could be very dirty keeping the sear from engaging the hammer notch but could be just bad sear or hammer or extremely dirty keeping the disconnector from coming up and engaging the sear.
As previously do a thorough cleaning and inspection. Is the gun new to you or one you have had for a long time ? Did it work previously ?
Old 12-06-2016, 08:30 AM
fergusontd
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, it is probably real dirty. you'll need to disassemble and clean, all semi autos build up internal residue and need to be cleaned. I do that to my Mark 1 often.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:30 PM
superdavebigD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all for the insight. I will start with a thorough disassembly/cleaning. To be honest I have not taken it apart in fear of not being able to put together . My friend has one and had to take it to a gunsmith to reassemble.

It is new to me, bought it this year and took it out about 5 times. First couple of times no issues.

I did try a second mag while at the range, with no change. The issue happens with or without the mag inserted.

Will disassemble, clean, inspect and report back.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:20 PM
superdavebigD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Photo attached of my MK1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161206_095438-1_1481048378359.jpg (248.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-06-2016, 02:28 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdavebigD View Post
Thank you all for the insight. I will start with a thorough disassembly/cleaning. To be honest I have not taken it apart in fear of not being able to put together . My friend has one and had to take it to a gunsmith to reassemble.

It is new to me, bought it this year and took it out about 5 times. First couple of times no issues.

I did try a second mag while at the range, with no change. The issue happens with or without the mag inserted.

Dave,

If you don't mind, I have a suggestion. What I would first recommend is that you remove your grips and then take the upper barrel/receiver assembly off.
Once done, you should be able to see just what exactly is causing the pistol to not allow the hammer to go forward. It could be a number of things, gunk being one of 'em. Then, you might try using a spray parts cleaner with a thorough spraying of those internal parts and then a blow dry with compressed air.
After that exercise, reassemble the upper and see what happens afterward. Unless you seen any parts or springs that didn't appear to be properly positioned, try shooting your pistol to see how it now performs.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:54 PM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I see you have a pair of Hogue grips on your Mk I. Did you tape the sear pin in place or use a piece of thin plastic to keep the pin in place? The pin might be walking and stopping the disconnect bar from working
Old 12-06-2016, 10:58 PM
superdavebigD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n64atlas View Post
I see you have a pair of Hogue grips on your Mk I. Did you tape the sear pin in place or use a piece of thin plastic to keep the pin in place? The pin might be walking and stopping the disconnect bar from working
I believe you have solved it. Great observation. As soon as I went to pull the grips, I noticed the Hammer pivot pin had completely walked out of one side. It was protruding out of the frame and I saw it before taking off the grips.

Pistol is currently taken apart(grips off, bolt and top half taken off). I am going to clean, put back together and hope for the best. Also will put something in there to stop this from happening again.

Photo attached of the hammer pin walked out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161206_194031_1481082999574.jpg (150.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-06-2016, 11:01 PM
superdavebigD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
Quote:

Dave,

If you don't mind, I have a suggestion. What I would first recommend is that you remove your grips and then take the upper barrel/receiver assembly off.
Once done, you should be able to see just what exactly is causing the pistol to not allow the hammer to go forward. It could be a number of things, gunk being one of 'em. Then, you might try using a spray parts cleaner with a thorough spraying of those internal parts and then a blow dry with compressed air.
After that exercise, reassemble the upper and see what happens afterward. Unless you seen any parts or springs that didn't appear to be properly positioned, try shooting your pistol to see how it now performs.
Thank you much. After reading your post I decided to slow down and try your method first. The pistol looks to have a very low round count, so broken parts just didn't make sense.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:46 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
If you bought the Hogue grips new they come with a plastic filler that goes under the left grip to hold the hammer pin in. If not I bet you can call Hogue and they will send you one of the fillers. You can also fold some tape up carefully to hold the pin in till you get a filler.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:40 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Thank you much. After reading your post I decided to slow down and try your method first. The pistol looks to have a very low round count, so broken parts just didn't make sense.
Yes, your pistol looks to be in very excellent condition. BTW, from your picture, it's the hammer bushing pin that's drifted out of place.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:03 PM
Model 52
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think what was happening is that the partially drifted sear pin allowed the sear to slide forward on one side where the pin had worked out of the frame, just enough that a magazine in place would then prevent the sear from rotating enough to release the hammer on the other side of the sear.

With no magazine in place the slightly cockeyed sear could still rotate enough to release the hammer.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:52 PM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
Yes, your pistol looks to be in very excellent condition. BTW, from your picture, it's the hammer bushing pin that's drifted out of place.
You are correct, I typed to fast when I said sear pin. Should have been hammer pin.