Which grips? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:25 PM
Bozz10mm
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Which grips?

I recently decided to replace the walnut thumb rest grips on my Mark I Target. After using the thumbs forward grip on my CCW, I just couldn't get used to the feel of the thumb rest.

I ended up ordering two sets of grips. A hogue grip and a set of Bamboo grips that I thought looked nice. I like the way they both look on the pistol, but I'm leaning towards the Hogue grips. What do you guys think.

Which one looks the best?

This was before I finished the bamboo with Formby's Tung Oil finish, so they are a lot more shiny than the photo.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:29 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry, they both look good to me! The finger grip Hogues may help accuracy, but the bamboo looks Sunday-go-to-meetin'.

I'm a little weird, maybe. I was always happy with the plastic factory grips.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Guess I'm a little bit (or more) weird too. I like my grips to look like they were made for the gun I've put them on. I don't really care if some other grips "will fit" mechanically.

I had to hunt hard for MKII grips that didn't have the MKIII mag release cutout.

I guess I don't care for the Hogue grips you have because of the bolt-stop thumb piece cutout.

2nd vote for the bamboo grips!
Old 07-06-2016, 06:07 PM
DeadEyeDan
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I put the Hogue thumb rest grips on one of my Rugers, the Lipseys model and while I prefer the original wood or plastic panels the already accurate pistol became even more accurate with the thumb rest.

I have a couple other mark pistols with the target grips but they are all right handed and Im a lefty lol, so the Hogue grips are super nice for us lefties and at a low cost

My favorite thing is pistol shooting and each frame fits my hand different so one type of grip doesn't cover all my needs and I imagine that's how it is for most folks.

Dan L.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:55 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
If you put MK II grips on a MarkI you will have to put a filler behind the left grip panel of you hammer pin will walk it's self out to the left and stop the gun from functioning. If you want traditional go with the Ruger Mark I A100 flat checkered wood grip panels. MK II grips will fit your A100 grip frame but you will need a filler to hold the hammer pin in place.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:32 PM
Bozz10mm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, thanks. The Hogue grips did come with the nylon/plastic filler for the hammer pin.

The bamboo grips were made to order for the Mark I.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:39 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
[QUOTE=Bozz10mm;6784897]I recently decided to replace the walnut thumb rest grips on my Mark I Target. After using the thumbs forward grip on my CCW, I just couldn't get used to the feel of the thumb rest.

I ended up ordering two sets of grips. A hogue grip and a set of Bamboo grips that I thought looked nice. I like the way they both look on the pistol, but I'm leaning towards the Hogue grips. What do you guys think.

Which one looks the best?

I probably like/prefer the first ones you took off!

"Walnut thumb rest"!
NMCA #2047

Last edited by rosscoe; 07-06-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Did you get the gun reblued or is that original finish? Really good looking finish on that gun !!
Old 07-07-2016, 11:17 AM
Clovishound
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a bull barrel Mark I target with the walnut thumbrest grips. Both my daughter and I love the thumbrest. But, every one is different.

I like the look of wood grips, but Hogue grips are unmatched IMO, in function. I bought a Model 10 that had decent looking wood grips. Before I had fired more than a couple cylinders through it, I went out on the sales floor of the range/store and picked up a Hogue that was installed to complete the rest of the range session.

As far as looks, I tend to prefer the looks of the Hogues, between the two pictured. I am sure the Hogues are more comfortable, and should provide a better grip.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:47 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Which grips?

I picked up a 50s mark 1 target because of the huge Herret's it was wearing.They fit my hand quite nicely and they look cool IMHO
Old 07-09-2016, 06:05 PM
Hanshi
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found these grips while rummaging through a spare parts bin in the local gun shop back in the 1970s. They fit my hand like a glove and I especially like the generous thumbrest. I don't know who made them, maybe Ruger??
Old 07-09-2016, 06:07 PM
Hanshi
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So sorry; I simply forgot to post the pic. It's a nice old MKI BB I bought about 45 years ago.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:27 PM
Bozz10mm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStacy View Post
Did you get the gun reblued or is that original finish? Really good looking finish on that gun !!
Actually, it was re-blued back in about 1988. A friend of mine borrowed it for a few days, and when he brought it back, the finish was all messed up. He felt so bad that he had it re-blued. LOL, I don't know what he did to it to mess it up, but he made it right.

He told me he had a friend of his re-blue it, but I suspect he sent it back to Ruger. I really haven't shot it much since.

Last edited by Bozz10mm; 07-09-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:39 PM
Clovishound
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanshi View Post
I found these grips while rummaging through a spare parts bin in the local gun shop back in the 1970s. They fit my hand like a glove and I especially like the generous thumbrest. I don't know who made them, maybe Ruger??
Look just like the grips that are on my mid 70s Mark I target. I bought it new back then.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanshi View Post

Could be factory or maybe Siles