Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:10 PM
22shooters
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

So someone tells me..."I put mark II grips on my mark 1." Then I tell them that their pistol is a 6 inch standard with the A100 frame and the mark II grips won't work on my standard because it is the A54. Response is a blank look and a questioning..."oh....ok" . Most mark owners don't care. Most "know " it must be a mark 1 because it was made before the mark II. I try to not talk RFC level around people unless I know I can be understood. In my pre RFC days I also didn't understand.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:49 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22shooters View Post
So someone tells me..."I put mark II grips on my mark 1." Then I tell them that their pistol is a 6 inch standard with the A100 frame and the mark II grips won't work on my standard because it is the A54. Response is a blank look and a questioning..."oh....ok" . Most mark owners don't care. Most "know " it must be a mark 1 because it was made before the mark II. I try to not talk RFC level around people unless I know I can be understood. In my pre RFC days I also didn't understand.

Totally true. I think confusion is also added by the fact that both - the Mark 2 and Mark 3 have versions with and without adjustable sights. "Therefore" the same "must" be true of the Mark 1.

I guess they also think the "Mark I" printed/missing on the receiver is no different than later pistols having different colors of trigger.

Can't really say they're "dummies", but certainly "ignorant" applies.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:44 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Anyone selling a Ruger Standard or Ruger Mark I owes it to every potential buyer to at least try and list the pistol correctly. Making excuses, for those who won't even try to do that falls short of being honest.

I'm absolutely sure early Ruger Mark pistols will continue to be listed for sale incorrectly, in the very same manner magazines will continue to be called "clips" and Ruger pistol bolts will be called "slides" by those too lazy to actually read the manual, or acquire one not provided.

This seems to be an era of being patient and accepting people's ignorance. Just the other night I was watching a fella interview students on a college campus on a late news show. He was asking students as they passed by to name some of the Supreme Court Judges. One of these educated genius' was astute enough to claim "Judge Wapner" was one of those on the High Court. And so goes our future.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:49 PM
mageepeak
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
well

All are ignorant. How much don't you know if you don't know how much is known? A MKI or MKII is how important...depends on the interest. We hope a gunsmith would know and kindly point it out to those who don't. My daughter said to me, "everyone knows something you don't" and I responded, "that means I know something everyone else doesn't"-HA! So, as life goes. SGW- Please tell me the molecular weight of water, hint H2O. Very simple to some and others have no clue.

Last edited by mageepeak; 06-29-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:47 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
we all know everything until we reach a certain age - then we are amazed at all we did not know - curse of youth [maybe a blessing that lets us to learn eventually] either way its a common flaw in humanity

i always assume those im speaking to know more than i and will impart some valuable knowledge - learning - im looking to learn something new every day - whether its retained or not is is the question these days - lots of stuff in the dusty files in my head
Old 06-29-2016, 11:43 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A square 10 View Post
we all know everything until we reach a certain age - then we are amazed at all we did not know - curse of youth [maybe a blessing that lets us to learn eventually] either way its a common flaw in humanity

i always assume those im speaking to know more than i and will impart some valuable knowledge - learning - im looking to learn something new every day - whether its retained or not is is the question these days - lots of stuff in the dusty files in my head
I completely understand what you write about and so do most of the GOOD folks around here. Sometimes it just pays to read, or listen instead of blurting out some idiotic statement that some insist on.

In several of the instances where folks don't quite understand how to describe a Ruger .22 caliber pistol they have for sale, or auction, a simple note to them concerning the accuracy of their description is often understood by them to be a helpful suggestion. Unfortunately, there are a few malcontents who only post around here to try and cause cause strife and problems, because they really don't have anything worthwhile to contribute.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:25 PM
pickax

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mageepeak View Post
All are ignorant. How much don't you know if you don't know how much is known? A MKI or MKII is how important...depends on the interest. We hope a gunsmith would know and kindly point it out to those who don't. My daughter said to me, "everyone knows something you don't" and I responded, "that means I know something everyone else doesn't"-HA! So, as life goes. SGW- Please tell me the molecular weight of water, hint H2O. Very simple to some and others have no clue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A square 10 View Post

SGW, these guys have it cold. I can see your frustration. I lurk here with no knowledge, but a desire to learn. It is all here if you take time to search. Those that don't may benefit from another sticky on the basics of all Ruger models.
Is it worth it? Instant gratification? Your call.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:57 AM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (95)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStacy View Post
I believe on some of the seller's part it is intentional misleading of people. They have a standard and want to sell it as a Mark I to some one gullible enough to buy it as a Mark I. A cheaper gun and sold at a higher price model.
I have dealt with many people on GB and also some jerks that try to cheat you.
Beware of fuzzy pictures !!

I have bought a few guns via Gunbroker, very few of them were accurately described, some were downright junk
Old 07-01-2016, 11:16 AM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
CZ, I bought a 10/22 Sporter that was in "excellent" condition. When I got it the gun ,side away from camera, was red rust and all of the finish peeling off the gun. I sent the seller a cryptic note about his honesty and got back a bunch of threats and a good cussing. I forwarded the response to GB officials --- nothing was done about it. I gave the seller the lowest score you could and offered to send pictures to any one who wanted to know about him. He blasted me on his rating ,but I was able to get GB to remove it from my feed back. Beware!!
Old 10-24-2016, 08:31 PM
gunsmither
RFC Sponsor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Who cares???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
I L@@K at some of the auction sites and see how many Ruger RST4's and 6's are listed as Ruger Mark I pistols. What don't these "dummies" understand? ALL Ruger Mark I pistols have an adjustable rear sight, and they are blazingly marked as Mark I on the receiver. The fixed sight versions are the RST4 & 6. How difficult is that?
Perhaps "MKI" should be used to describe all the first generation Ruger .22 Pistols; those that don't have a last shot hold open feature? That may well be the criteria that the folks listing them use for that style. I doubt they are deliberately mis-leading potential buyers.

Seems to me it's easier to refer to that type as "MKI" style, as differentiated from "MKII" and "MKIII", and now of course the newest, "MKIV" style.

Most folks, myself included, are not purists, and many don't know the differences, nor care about them. Mechanically, there is no difference between the early Standards and "MKI". Only the sights, and barrel lengths are different as far as I can tell.

At some point Ruger changed the magazine button from right to left in preparation apparently for the "MKII" Series introduction, but neither the early Standards or "MKI" has the hold open feature.

UNIQUE gunsmithing tools and accessories for 10/22's, MkII's, S&W
Old 10-24-2016, 11:52 PM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think this says it all:
Old 10-25-2016, 12:45 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n64atlas View Post
I think this says it all:
I think you're correct, and thanks for posting that manual. At least someone, at some point in time, thought putting the difference in PRINT would be a distinguishing factor.

I do think in some cases, as posted above by Mr. Stacy, there are some "shysters" who purposely misname these models on auction sites, only to sell a plain pistol under the guise of it being something better, to someone less knowing.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:50 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
"Perhaps "MKI" should be used to describe all the first generation Ruger .22 Pistols;"
actually there is no such animal as a MKI . If it was not a Ruger standard it was a Mark I . Ruger did not refer to them as MK II & MK III until the MK II came out.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:41 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmither View Post
Perhaps "MKI" should be used to describe all the first generation Ruger .22 Pistols
Why not? This Forum does in their Forum titles and Ruger themselves do in their historical section.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:26 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
You can call them what ever you like I was just using the correct terminology for the Ruger pistol. I believe this discussion started about some one not using the correct name for the Ruger model in question. The use of incorrect names will only serve to further confuse people not acutely aware of which model of Ruger you are talking about.