Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:09 PM
SGW Gunsmith
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Simply AMAZING!

I L@@K at some of the auction sites and see how many Ruger RST4's and 6's are listed as Ruger Mark I pistols. What don't these "dummies" understand? ALL Ruger Mark I pistols have an adjustable rear sight, and they are blazingly marked as Mark I on the receiver. The fixed sight versions are the RST4 & 6. How difficult is that?
Old 06-26-2016, 09:06 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
"Forget it - he's rolling"

You're correct, of course, but it's a little like trying to overcome the Blutarsky Effect.

The Blutarsky Effect.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:04 PM
mister9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
That is funny!

Old 06-26-2016, 11:43 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
I believe on some of the seller's part it is intentional misleading of people. They have a standard and want to sell it as a Mark I to some one gullible enough to buy it as a Mark I. A cheaper gun and sold at a higher price model.
I have dealt with many people on GB and also some jerks that try to cheat you.
Beware of fuzzy pictures !!
Old 06-27-2016, 09:09 AM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Not everbody knows that there is a difference between the Standard and the Mark I. Even here on RFC, the forum is called Mark I. Not Mark I and Standard.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:47 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n64atlas View Post
Not everbody knows that there is a difference between the Standard and the Mark I. Even here on RFC, the forum is called Mark I. Not Mark I and Standard.
I think the forum name needs to be amended. Or at least have a subforum. That would be good for all them for that matter.

VH
Old 06-27-2016, 11:27 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n64atlas View Post
Stevie Wonder may have an excuse, but when it's CLEARLY marked on the receiver, 'cmon, that goes way beyond ignorance. And, if it is indeed done to dupe some unsuspecting buyer, those who know better should send a message to the seller.

MOST folks don't have an issue with what the forum is labeled, nothing should be sold here anyway, and it only takes a few "pecks on the keyboard" to inform the not-so-informed, what is what just to steer 'em in the right direction.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:50 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius does have limits.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:43 PM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Not everyone lives in the world of the internet or Rugers. They just have an old pistol they want to sell. When I bought my first one in 1971, they were all called Mark I's. It might frustrate you that someone doesn't do the research to find out if it is a standard or a Mark I target, but many don't care. It can work to your advantage if someone is selling that old Ruger and not know it is a Mark I or one of the rare versions of the first issue. It is rare that people are age, spend anytime on the net. Most will visit facebook or something like that to chat with family and friends. But look who posts on the forums. Most are the same people every day.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:58 PM
dave bulla

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As a fairly experienced gun guy in general who just happens to have very little experience with Ruger 22's other than having shot several that belonged to friends, how about educating me a little. I've never even heard of these RST 4 & 6 pistols you mention.

I recently came close to buying a Mk I target (marked as such on the gun) and asking about it is how I ended up here.

I've got my thinking cap on, educate me please.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:00 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Those are model numbers. The RST 4 is the fixed rear sight 4- inch barreled model Ruger STandard. The model designation for the 6-inch barrel length Standard version is the Ruger RST6, with non-adjustable rear sight. ALL of the Ruger Mark I Target versions are marked on the left side of the receiver................plain as day, and ALL of the Target designated mosels have factory installed adjustable rear sights.

The Ruger Standard pistol, this one is an RST4 was NOT sent out with an adjustable rear sight. This one has an aftermarket rear sight added.

The left side of the pistol only designates Ruger semi-automatic in .22 caliber. This is all open information that's available throughout the web for anyone willing to do a bit of research to find it.

Rear, fixed sight, on the factory shipped Standard pistols, again anm RST4 version:

Last edited by SGW Gunsmith; 06-27-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:31 PM
dave bulla

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks SGW Gunsmith.

As you said, that is probably info easy to find on the Internet. The problem (at least in my case) was the ignorance that there was a need to look.

I've never owned a Ruger yet nor sold one though so no harm done and I now know just a little more than I did this morning.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:17 PM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Dave Bulla: Be aware that these pistols are addictive. The more you know, the more you want one
Old 06-28-2016, 09:33 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave bulla View Post
Thanks SGW Gunsmith.

As you said, that is probably info easy to find on the Internet. The problem (at least in my case) was the ignorance that there was a need to look.

I've never owned a Ruger yet nor sold one though so no harm done and I now know just a little more than I did this morning.
You're very welcome. That's what RFC is for, ( I think ) even though some misinformation still gets passed along around here. I always hope that it's NOT intentional but as always, asking here will sometimes get you a good answer much more quickly.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:33 AM
dave bulla

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, I had my suspicions. I've been getting a bit hooked on old Hi Standard pistols too. Have two of those now. Still think about that Ruger MK I target at the local shop now and then. It had the longer barrel around 6 3/4" maybe. Not a bull barrel but a heavy taper. Also had some vintage aftermarket target grips on it. I've got a post on it right here in this forum with more details.