Disassembling, cleaning, and re-assembling the Ruger 10/22 rotary magazine. - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Dave_D55

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/45 Fan View Post
I did find if I tightened the 9/64" allen retaining bolt at the front of the magazine too tight it caused the rotor to bind. Backing it out slightly let the rotor turn freely so don't over do the tightening torque.
22/45 Fan,

Just the advice I needed. I've been struggling with 4 of my 6 mags not feeding well. Cleaned them 3 times and thought they were a lost cause.

Saw your comment and re-assembled them with less tightness on the bolt - all my problems are history. I had over-tightened the bolt.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 06-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Gary C
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Pete,
I'm new to this site, and am learning a lot. I had always assumed that you couldn't disassemble, clean and reassemble the 10/22 mags, because it said not to in the manual. I believe what I read....lol

While my mags are still feeding okay, they are dirty and grimy and I think I'll be disassembling one to clean it and try it out. Thank you for producing a great video and instructions. It is very clear, and easy to understand.

Regards,

Gary
Old 08-22-2010, 02:13 PM
gitano
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The excellence of this video instruction provided the impetus I needed to become a member here.

Thanks.

Paul

Old 11-03-2010, 09:35 PM
masfonos
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Glad I remembered this post after all these years. 10/22 magazine was jamming up and no amount of rapping it on the bench would make it go.

Really put a damper on my range day.

Pulled this post up, executed the instructions and I think I'm back in action now.

ETA: D'oh! Still having feeding problems. Maybe I need to turn it another click or two on the spring tension.

Last edited by masfonos; 11-04-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:48 PM
JDouglas

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Instead of turning the hexagon nut I pull out slightly so the hexagon nut is secured and then I turn the entire plastic end two full turns and tighten it down. I may be over tightening but have never had an issue. All you need is the correct allen wrench and a couple minutes of time.

Last edited by JDouglas; 07-21-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Zach9999

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm new here, but I appreciate these write up's. Thank you.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:10 PM
zanderman
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The video was a great deal of help. I did, however, have trouble being able to turn it eight notches to get the spring tension needed. It didn't look as if you had much trouble at all in the video.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Jason
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If tightening the bolt all the way makes the rotor bind, that means that the ends of the rotor or the holes they turn in have a slight burr or the rotor is just barely too long. Instead of not tightening the bolt all the way and introducing other problems, just fix the burr and/or slightly sand and polish the ends of the rotor.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:31 AM
funkybassplayer
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
heypete...i came across you cleaning and reassembly instructions about a month ago and they were very helpful and informative. I had no idea the inside of my mags were so nasty. Thanks again
Old 01-24-2012, 10:12 PM
shooting padre
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice job. I will have no hesitation to take my mag down for cleaning with this info available. Thank you much for all your time and effort to assist all of us in this task.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Uncle Jaque
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Feeble Mag Spring Jam

I took my new / used 10-22 to the range this afternoon to sight in a scope recently mounted, and the last shot on my first magazine jammed.

The spring felt kind of weak when I loaded it - the cartridges about fell in.
I had bought it used at the same gun show where I got the carbine (and later found brand new Ruger mags cheaper at my local hardware store).

Was hoping that ehey could be cranked up a bit, and thanks to these directions will certainly try on this one.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:33 AM
NoBite

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cleaning agent?

Heypete, in your excellent video on YT (which I found before I noticed this thread, BTW), you mentioned you use CLP to clean the mags. At the local gunstore I did not find CLP but they sold me Gunscrubber Synthetic Safe. Any issues using this? If this is not good, any alternatives to CLP? Thanks!!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:50 PM
jrob24

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just followed this guide, but now the tension on the spring feels a little lighter than a "control" magazine that I didn't disassemble. I tightened it 8 turns and it wasn't easy. I marked it with red paint and will test it for reliability soon.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Rosebud22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mag Tool

I bought a tool from Borelsports.com to make it easier to assemble the mags after cleaning. I have 8 mags and this tool cut the time in half. Small investment.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:32 PM
PO2Hammer
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I see heypete hasn't posted anywhere since 2007, but thanks for the instructions, hope all is well.

FWIW I have 1 black follower mag that needs 2-1/2 turns to run right. The spring is noticeably weaker. My red follower mags do great with 1-1/2 turns.