Disassembling, cleaning, and re-assembling the Ruger 10/22 rotary magazine. - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-17-2006, 06:12 PM
aquateenjeeper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

hey does anyone have a pictoral guide to cleaning a 10/22 including field stripping?
Old 09-27-2006, 06:05 PM
masfonos
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Great tutorial heypete. It was very helpful and made it quite easy to take apart, clean and reassemble my filthy mag despite the horror stories that I've heard about this whole process.

I have a question though, is it my imagination or is 6 turns a little looser than anyone elses factory mag? Maybe it was just filthy and I got used to it being sticky, but it seems a goo deal looser than it was. It feeds fine, popping each round up nicely when cycled with my thumb (haven't been to the range, I just did this). It does seem a little week upon feeding the 10th round though, which seems like it may have trouble feeding late rounds once it starts to get gummed up again.

Anyone else notice this or have any insights into it, or am I just imagining things?

Thanks,
Don
Old 03-01-2007, 12:34 PM
FishKepr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I noticed that the Ruger manual advises 1 1/4 turns of spring tension (about 8 flats) as a baseline.

BTW, for Heaven's sake take out the plier reference from step two! I read that, reached for my pliers and damaged the screw head. A minute with a file took care of it though.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:03 PM
heypete
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishKepr View Post
I noticed that the Ruger manual advises 1 1/4 turns of spring tension (about 8 flats) as a baseline.

BTW, for Heaven's sake take out the plier reference from step two! I read that, reached for my pliers and damaged the screw head. A minute with a file took care of it though.
Really? Which manual? I looked through the user's manual for the 10/22 rifle, and it just said "don't disassemble the magazine". I've had good luck with 6 flats, but if the manual says 8, I'll change that.

Also, you'll note that I said "Generally, having a hex-wrench of the appropriate size is necessary. I lack one, so made do with a Gerber multi-tool which has exceedingly good gripping jaws. This is not advised, as you will thrash the screw head, but you won't strip the hex-wrench part like you would if you tried it with a Phillips screwdriver. Still, it's best to use the proper tools." on the website.

I've been lazy, and haven't bothered to find out which hex wrench size fits. I'll try that out today and put the proper dimensions on the site.

EDIT: Ok, it's a 9/64th inches hex wrench, and I changed the page to reflect the 8-turn recommendation. I also removed the comments about pliers to avoid confusion and/or damage.

Last edited by heypete; 03-01-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:47 PM
FishKepr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heypete View Post
Really? Which manual? I looked through the user's manual for the 10/22 rifle, and it just said "don't disassemble the magazine". I've had good luck with 6 flats, but if the manual says 8, I'll change that.
Yes, the Ruger factory manual does say to not disassemble the magazine. However, it also says this on page 25:
Quote:
MAGAZINE INSPECTION AND CARE
Check the magazine frequently. The rotor must move freely and have adequate
tension so that each cartridge is quickly raised to the feeding position. At the
time of manufacture, proper rotor tension is set by rotating the magazine cap
nut until the rotor stops turning. Then the nut is turned an additional 1 1/4
turns beyond the ‘stop’ position.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:37 PM
heypete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Yes, the Ruger factory manual does say to not disassemble the magazine. However, it also says this on page 25:
Ah, excellent. I must have overlooked that. Thanks for catching it. I've added it to the page in the appropriate place.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:14 AM
FishKepr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool video! Does anyone else think that Pete sounds like a game show announcer?

BTW, a guy I was shooting with was having trouble with a magazine and was going to throw it away. He gave it to me instead. Flooding it with FP-10 through the top did not help. I followed the instructions, cleaned the inside throughly and presto. It works again.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:27 AM
heypete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Cool video! Does anyone else think that Pete sounds like a game show announcer?

BTW, a guy I was shooting with was having trouble with a magazine and was going to throw it away. He gave it to me instead. Flooding it with FP-10 through the top did not help. I followed the instructions, cleaned the inside throughly and presto. It works again.
*laughs* I actually used to be a small-town radio DJ. When I have a script, I generally sound a bit more consistent, but when I'm winging it, my voice doesn't flow quite the same.

I'm glad that the instructions helped renew a magazine. I'd have tossed mine about five times over if I couldn't clean them.

About a year ago, I was at a local range in California where I was an RSO (I was shooting that night, not RSO-ing). Some guy was complaining about his 10/22 mags, and how he wished he knew how to clean them. Some other random guy came up and said "Hey, there's this website at www.heypete.com which tells you how to clean those magazines. I wish I could remember the exact address..."

At that point, I approached, introduced myself as Pete, the author of the website, and proceeded (with his permission) to show him in person how to disassemble and reassemble it. I wrote the URL down on some paper for him too. Some days, it's really a small world.

Interesting enough, the guy who runs dragunov.net happens to be a close personal friend of mine, and we used to go shooting frequently until I moved to Arizona.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:03 PM
ballshrinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice and very helpful, thanks.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:27 AM
anthrem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you so much!

This is really helpful, I buy used 10 rd rotary magazines all the time, this will be very helpful in bringing them back to life.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:04 AM
Kappy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Kappy Send a message via MSN to Kappy Send a message via Yahoo to Kappy
Great movie. I found it earlier today on Youtube while researching. Thanks for all the work.

Last edited by Kappy; 07-10-2007 at 03:08 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:31 PM
lovmyfeist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
what a great post. i would have never got mine back together without these pictures and tips. thank you sooooooo much.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:14 AM
Michael Celtic
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to Michael Celtic
ANYTHING 10/22 and beyond

Well said! Great forum when we can tap into such experince. Thanks Pete
Old 11-15-2007, 10:07 PM
MKLSV
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via AIM to MKLSV
Smile 10/22 mag

Thanks, I've been cleaning mine as you described but I never knew how much tension to put on the spring. 8 clicks or 480 degrees sounds great.
Thanks again.
Mike
Old 12-13-2007, 06:58 PM
fiferguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I thought I would share this with everyone. It's a YouTube video I found a few days ago on this very subject.

Might help some folks.

*Edit... Whoops, didn't realize it was already on the site. My mistake. ;-)

Last edited by fiferguy; 12-13-2007 at 07:09 PM.