Disassembling, cleaning, and re-assembling the Ruger 10/22 rotary magazine. - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:59 AM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heypete
Would like me to put your name in the Version History to reflect the idea? I like giving credit where it's due.
No, don't do that.....just passing along info that is common knowledge amoung the older members here. You did a real nice job, you take the credit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 12-04-2005, 02:26 PM
heypete
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin3
This is very nicely done and we thank you for working it up and posting it here. Pictorial presentations are always most helpful. I'm trying to figure out the best way to preserve this so that the most people will be able to see it.

Thanks heypete
Again, my pleasure. If you want to "sticky" it, that's fine. I can make a PDF file of the whole page (but then any updates will be a bit more difficult to distribute), but personally a link to the site where it is now would be great.

I run a small business, so the domain isn't going anywhere, and I have no real plans to take it down. If I do, I'll make mention of it, but as I said, it's quite unlikely.

Cheers!
Old 12-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Top_Notch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've seen a video on a glock being stripped but it didn't show reassembly. I've detail stripped my slide (I have both a G19 and G26) but never my frame. I'd like to see step by step of the G19 strip and assembly.
Awesome work.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:20 PM
dickw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glock assembly/disassembly

I bought the video on my G-22 and was able to strip it down completely and reassemble it with nothing left over. Runs like a champ. I have also shot thousands of lead reloads with no problem whatsoever.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:17 AM
Zen900

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a pawn shop 10/22 this week with a broken 10 round mag and disassembled it and fixed it in about 30 minutes of figuring. It was a mighty battle but I derived immense pleasure from seeing a nearly tossed magazine work smoothly again. Satisfaction.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Harold Dees

Bluffton, South Carolina, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milkyway.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wink rotary mag rebuild

Quote:
Hey folks,

I recently found it necessary to clean my Ruger 10/22 factory magazines, as they were having feeding issues. Googling produced some results, but they were not terribly clear, and much swearing ensued.

After successfully wranging with them for a while, I figured there had to be a better way. Thus, I wrote step-by-step directions and took some close-up photographs to aid the directions. I then threw all this together into a simple web page, which is located here:

http://www.heypete.com/pete/shooting/rugermag.html

Normally, I would post it here, but there's a lot of images, and I don't have the time or knowledge to convert all the tags to vBulletin-type tags.

Hopefully this proves useful to RimfireCentral users. Please feel free to send the link to other shooters, post on other message boards, etc.

If you folks have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to let me know. I have a bunch of spare time, a fair bit of guns, and a desire to help people out. I can make step-by-step pictoral guides for the following firearms if there's interest:

* M1 Garand
* Kel-Tec SU-16B
* Yugoslavian SKS M59/66
* Mosin-Nagant 91/30
* Remington 700 BDL
* Ruger 10/22
* Mossberg 500 shotgun
* Glock 19/Glock 26 (essentially identical)
* Bersa Thunder .380
* (and after it arrives) Browning 1919A4 semi-auto.

I can also make guides in regards to magazine disassembly and reassembly for mil-spec M16/AR-15 30-round magazines, how to properly load M1 Garand clips, Glock 19/26 magazines, installing pistol-grip stock on Mossberg 500, manually linking .308/.30-06 for the 1919A4, removing the Bersa Thunder .380 magazine disconnect, etc.

(I realize that those other such guns are off-topic here, but I'll likely make the pages for them in the next few weeks and put them up on my site. I won't mention them here, but if you want to look for them, that's fine.)

I can also make guides showing proper maintenance, cleaning, and care for the abovementioned firearms and accessories. Just let me know what you folks want me to do, and I'll do my best to make a guide for it.

Cheers!

-Pete
Thank you Pete. One question, did you do this just for fun. I could buy a new one for less than $10. And, have a large supply of them. Your really nice to share it with us and I hope you will do more such neat training tips for We Who Will All Ways Have Three Left Thumbs when it comes to working with our hands. ...LOL Once again. thank you so much.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:57 AM
Zen900

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
M1 Garand vs SKS

Quote:
Hey folks,

* M1 Garand
* Yugoslavian SKS M59/66

Cheers!

-Pete
Pete I notice you have two auto loaders. Which is a better plinker? I mean which do you take to the range more often? That is probably the best way to tell which gun is a better gun.

Allan
Old 12-29-2005, 01:35 AM
MsJamie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I broke down and cleaned my mags today. I put a mark on the hexagon before opening, and it was one full turn from the factory. (Dang, was it cruddy in there!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Dees
One question, did you do this just for fun. I could buy a new one for less than $10.
For some of us, $10 means another box of ammo so we can go shoot an extra day.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Thirties

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey, Pete! Thank you for your well-presented material. No need to improve on the photography. It illustrates the text perfectly.

I recently got my first 10/22, and yesterday tackled the magazines. I only found your piece later. It would have saved me a good 30 minutes had I read it first.

The one question I have as a new 10/22 tinkerer relates to the spring tightening.

I bought two new Ruger 10-round black magazines. I waited until they arrived so I could open up one while leaving the second intact for comparison.

I found that it took lots of faces, maybe two complete 360 turns to get the spring resisting pushing on the top vane to feel similar to the untampered magazine. I say "maybe 2 turns" because it is a bit difficult to turn the tip that much in one go. I turned it some, screwed in the bolt, tested the pressure, loosened the screw, tightened the spring more, retested, etc. One loses count (maybe a dot of white paint on the hexagon to keep track would work?).

So, my question to you, and others here:

Would the best criterion for magazine spring tightness be how much resistance is felt when pressing on the assembled top vane; or should one just count the number of turns within a range of counted faces?

I suggest, if the felt resistance is the criterion, then it would be a good idea to keep a magazine on-hand as the test mag and not shooting with it.

Again, thank you for your effort . . .

Old 03-13-2006, 08:15 PM
bcbulls

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thats pretty sweet! I just wanted to know if you knew anything about cleaning banana clips or any clips for that matter. Thanks alot for the info!
Old 03-22-2006, 03:16 PM
cantgrowup

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sandpaper fixes mag jams

My brand new K10/22T 10-round mag started sticking on the 5th round. It got to where I could only load 4 rounds in a mag to prevent jamming. A call to Ruger resulted in them sending me a replacement free of charge, buit it irked me that I had what seemed like a perfectly good mag that was malfunctioning. I disassembled it, cleaned it, and reassembled using spring tensions anywhere from just 1 "flat" turn up to 720 degrees. Each time, the mag would jam on the 4th or 5th bullet. After carefully examing each component, I determined that the upset circular face on the inside of the forward plate may have been warped from the injection molding process. So, I placed this plate (with the inside circular face down) on a sheet of fine sandpaper (on a flat piece of glass) and slowly sanded the face of this plate by moving the plate around in circles. Intermittent inspections showed that this surface was indeed concave shaped (comparing shiny molded surface vs dull sanded surface) . Finally, I sanded it down to where there was a uniform dull surface. The magazine has not jammed again, so it appears that this plate was rubbing against the inner bullet-holder shaft when the assmebly bolt was tightened. So, if you can't figure out why your mag is still jamming, try that approach.

You will also notice that the latest Ruger 10/22 instruction books state that that the magazine should never be disassembled (covering their legal butts). However, on the previous page they happen to mention that the spring tension is factory set at 1 1/4 turns and they give us a nice exploded diagram. Mightly nice of them to add those little tidbits of tech info for those of us that are not mechanically challenged.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:07 PM
slayer6
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22 mags

I bought 4 for 40$ from cabela's this week.
my old one has 10,000 plus rounds through it and works fine.
I spray them with action cleaner then rinse with rem oil spray.
If that fails to work I will gladly replace it after another 10,000 rounds.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:53 PM
dblugil

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice job and Thank you
Old 09-09-2006, 09:29 PM
mjpatrick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

thank you for your kindness
Old 09-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Big Bad Wolf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Heypete, that's some of the best info I've seen here, considering that I've disassembled a 10/22 mag, reassesembled it, didn't work, sent it to Ruger who replaced it. I've bookmarked your site in my favorites. Thanks again.