Disassembling, cleaning, and re-assembling the Ruger 10/22 rotary magazine. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:24 PM
heypete
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Disassembling, cleaning, and re-assembling the Ruger 10/22 rotary magazine.

Hey folks,

I recently found it necessary to clean my Ruger 10/22 factory magazines, as they were having feeding issues. Googling produced some results, but they were not terribly clear, and much swearing ensued.

After successfully wranging with them for a while, I figured there had to be a better way. Thus, I wrote step-by-step directions and took some close-up photographs to aid the directions. I then threw all this together into a simple web page, which is located here:

http://www.heypete.com/pete/shooting/rugermag.html

Normally, I would post it here, but there's a lot of images, and I don't have the time or knowledge to convert all the tags to vBulletin-type tags.

Hopefully this proves useful to RimfireCentral users. Please feel free to send the link to other shooters, post on other message boards, etc.

If you folks have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to let me know. I have a bunch of spare time, a fair bit of guns, and a desire to help people out. I can make step-by-step pictoral guides for the following firearms if there's interest:

* M1 Garand
* Kel-Tec SU-16B
* Yugoslavian SKS M59/66
* Mosin-Nagant 91/30
* Remington 700 BDL
* Ruger 10/22
* Mossberg 500 shotgun
* Glock 19/Glock 26 (essentially identical)
* Bersa Thunder .380
* (and after it arrives) Browning 1919A4 semi-auto.

I can also make guides in regards to magazine disassembly and reassembly for mil-spec M16/AR-15 30-round magazines, how to properly load M1 Garand clips, Glock 19/26 magazines, installing pistol-grip stock on Mossberg 500, manually linking .308/.30-06 for the 1919A4, removing the Bersa Thunder .380 magazine disconnect, etc.

(I realize that those other such guns are off-topic here, but I'll likely make the pages for them in the next few weeks and put them up on my site. I won't mention them here, but if you want to look for them, that's fine.)

I can also make guides showing proper maintenance, cleaning, and care for the abovementioned firearms and accessories. Just let me know what you folks want me to do, and I'll do my best to make a guide for it.

Cheers!

-Pete
Old 12-01-2005, 09:39 PM
breakthru62
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Pretty sweet. I think alot of people will appreciate it.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:41 PM
heypete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakthru62
Pretty sweet. I think alot of people will appreciate it.
Not a problem. I've been an on-and-off reader here for a bit (mostly sticking to The High Road and usenet), so I figured I'd make my debut with a bit of useful information rather than a question.

Old 12-01-2005, 11:43 PM
AdamMopar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice, I wouldn't mind seeing cleaning and maintenance and whatever else you had in that area for the 10/22. I will be getting my first one shortly. Thanks, Adam
Old 12-01-2005, 11:47 PM
heypete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll be glad to post more information in this forum once I write out the instructions. I haven't really messed around with my trigger group yet, but I'll be glad to show how to field-strip, clean, and lubricate the rifle.

I might even show how to take down the bolt, as my firing pin looks like it needs some cleaning. Things will be broken down into sections. Stay tuned!
Old 12-02-2005, 01:05 AM
newracer

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Very nice, my only comment is....
Could it be formatted different to allow even page breaks when printing?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:15 AM
heypete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newracer
Very nice, my only comment is....
Could it be formatted different to allow even page breaks when printing?
Could you be more specific? I've never found a webpage that prints perfectly, and I'm not sure of any effective means of making one of that type. If you could be more specific about what type of formatting changes would be necessary, I'll definitely look into it.

My HTML skills are basic and several years old. Simplicity works well for me, but I can see how this would be an issue.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Harb99

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cut and paste the page into word and adjust the margins to make it fit like you want and then print. Plus you can save it to your harddrive for printing at a later date without looking up the webpage again.

I have started a word document that has various fixes for the 10/22 that I am going to continue to add to so that I can have a psuedo reference guide.

Just my $0.02
Old 12-02-2005, 08:54 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Nicely done. We usually advise a bit more tension on the spring than that here at RFC but, still, nicely done. I think most of us START at six 6 "flats of the hexgon (1 turn) and some feel that it is best (Chief Dave for instance) to just crank it till it won't go any further. You kind of covered that by saying if that is not enough to do more. Only problem with that is by then you are already at the range!

Oh, and get the proper Allen Wrench. You can get the multi ones that fold like a pocket knife for a couple buck. Pliers?????????? No excuse for using plier on ANY part of a firearm I can think of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 12-02-2005, 09:03 AM
newracer

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harb99
Cut and paste the page into word and adjust the margins to make it fit like you want and then print. Plus you can save it to your harddrive for printing at a later date without looking up the webpage again.

I have started a word document that has various fixes for the 10/22 that I am going to continue to add to so that I can have a psuedo reference guide.

Just my $0.02
Good idea, I'll do just that.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:18 AM
heypete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent
Nicely done. We usually advise a bit more tension on the spring than that here at RFC but, still, nicely done. I think most of us START at six 6 "flats of the hexgon (1 turn) and some feel that it is best (Chief Dave for instance) to just crank it till it won't go any further. You kind of covered that by saying if that is not enough to do more. Only problem with that is by then you are already at the range!

Oh, and get the proper Allen Wrench. You can get the multi ones that fold like a pocket knife for a couple buck. Pliers?????????? No excuse for using plier on ANY part of a firearm I can think of.
Thank you. I may change it to six flats (1 turn). We'll see how it goes at the range tonight (if I manage to go, it's been storming pretty badly here for the last day or two).

And I definitely do need to get a proper allen wrench. The only problem is that my finances have been exhausted from the purchase of a Browning 1919A4, 1k rounds of .308, a tripod, and Christmas shopping. I'll see if I can find a set at some nearby stores today.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:12 PM
heypete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
You're absolutely right...four turns was inadequate. On one magazine, the last round wasn't presented fast enough, and was crushed by the bolt.

Turning the tension on all the magazines up to one full turn resulted in reliable feeding. I updated the site to reflect this.

Cheers!
Old 12-03-2005, 08:58 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heypete
You're absolutely right...four turns was inadequate. On one magazine, the last round wasn't presented fast enough, and was crushed by the bolt.

Turning the tension on all the magazines up to one full turn resulted in reliable feeding. I updated the site to reflect this.

Cheers!
My pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 12-03-2005, 11:09 PM
heypete

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
My pleasure.
Would like me to put your name in the Version History to reflect the idea? I like giving credit where it's due.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:22 AM
Admin3

Resident Curmudgeon
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This is very nicely done and we thank you for working it up and posting it here. Pictorial presentations are always most helpful. I'm trying to figure out the best way to preserve this so that the most people will be able to see it.

Thanks heypete