Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:57 PM
johnt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thinking of buying

I'm thinking of buying my first 10/22. There is a new Altamont Classic V with a straight grip and 20" barrel in SS for $360 I have my eye on. Anyone have experience with one of these? Is the 20" barrel a + or -? Are 10/22s hard to clean?
Would be grateful for any insights. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:21 PM
DSCR
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

That's a pretty one. It'd be hard to go wrong with it.

I'm sure someone that owns one will chime in. I know of no downside to a 20" tapered barrel. My LVT has a 20" VT barrel and I like it. It will have a bit longer sight radius for shooting factory or tech-sights.

Shoot it a while and decide what, if anything you want to improve. A little trigger work goes a long way. I like a softer bolt buffer. Many add a bolt release, which I dont do anymore. From there you can enjoy it or spend many hundreds of dollars on it according to what you are wanting to accomplish.

They are not hard to take down or clean. After a couple of times it will be easy. They are very much fun and addicting.

Go get it and good luck!
Old 11-06-2015, 02:17 AM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That model is very nice indeed and should be a great shooter. The 10/22 quite easy to clean. It is easy to field strip to clean the bolt, receiver and breech.

With any .22LR semi-automatic, it is important to keep clean the chamber clean. Here's an article I wrote recently about cleaning the chamber: http://1022companion.wordpress.com/2...a-happy-rifle/

Old 11-06-2015, 07:28 PM
johnt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies. All good advice. Hope to order it soon, shoot it a bit (before it gets too cold) and maybe make some mods.
Johnt
Old 11-06-2015, 07:30 PM
johnt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another question: I have read on this websight that some people drill a 1/4" hole in the rear of the receiver to insert a cleaning rod. Any thoughts?
johnt
Old 11-07-2015, 04:52 AM
LDThornton

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt View Post
Another question: I have read on this websight that some people drill a 1/4" hole in the rear of the receiver to insert a cleaning rod. Any thoughts?
johnt
I use a bore-snake.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:59 AM
xjtrailrider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use a bore snake as well.

There is nothing at all hard about cleaning a 10/22, its a very simple, rugged design that you would expect from anything Ruger.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:40 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
johnt
Iíll quickie clean a fully assembled gun by first cleaning the chamber using a GunSmither chamber brush and then pulling through a patch, breach to muzzle, using a Patch Worm. For a thorough cleaning, Iíll take the barreled action out the stock and tear the innards out the receiver. With the bolt assembly out the way, then a cleaning rod can be used going through a hole in the receiverís backside to clean the barrel from breach to muzzle.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:22 PM
johnt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First 10/22

Decided to buy a Target/Varmint in SS. Ordered it from Bud's yesterday.Thanks for all the responses. I'll let you know how it shoots.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:56 PM
Holeshot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Decided to buy a Target/Varmint in SS. Ordered it from Bud's yesterday.Thanks for all the responses. I'll let you know how it shoots.
Congratulations. As the old Kung Fu master said. You have done well Grasshopper.

You made a very good choice. Let the fun begin by trying different brands of ammo until you find the sweet spot for your rifle.

My blued LVT came from Bud's also.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:56 PM
johnt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. I will certainly let ya know how it shoots. I have a 50yd range across the back of my property so if it doesn't get too cold, I can take it right out the day I pick it up from the local FFL. Yes, I'm real fortunate to have the range. The house next door is going up for sale next year and I'm trying to get one of my shooting friends or relatives to buy it so we can lengthen the range to 100yds. Now THAT would be something!!!
Old 01-03-2016, 10:11 AM
johnt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got the 10/22 a few weeks ago and mounted an old, low power scope on it. Seems to shoot well off hand. I have not had a chance to really sight it in from a bench. It's fun to shoot but, boy I can sure go through the ammo fast! Good thing it's not too expensive. Now it's too cold to do much shooting. One thing though, the barrel is not free floating. It touches the stock at the forward end of the stock. When I sight it in off a bench I think that will tell me if it makes a difference.
Meanwhile I just ordered a CZ 452 which should come in a week or so. Guess I got the bug real bad:-)
Old 01-03-2016, 10:27 AM
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice rifles. Try some CCI standard velocity works good for me and shoots as well an anything else I have tried. I have only tried mid grade stuff in my 10/22 standard velocity seems to have an edge in accuracy.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:56 PM
T191032

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
johnt

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...t=chamber+ring

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...t=chamber+ring
Old 01-21-2017, 07:13 PM
Kiddshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All of our 10/22's have the cleaning hole in them. Very easy to do. As mentioned the chamber needs more frequent cleaning than the barrel, a .243 cleaning brush inserted thru the cleaning home does a great job on the chamber.
Ruger uses a pressure pad in the tip of their stocks to keep an upward pressure on their barrels, so I wouldn't try free floating the barrel unless you intend to add bedding directly in front of the v-block. you will only need about 1/2" saddle to support the barrel and it will change the barrel harmonics. This saddle will also keep the barrel centered in the stock. Trigger work and bedding the receiver helps these rifles in the accuracy department a great deal. Finding the right ammo for any .22 takes testing and recording from a bench rest. My wife's LVT shoots best with CCI Mini Mags but she shoots 115 yards at 60 mm clays on our range berm. Usually these guns shoot the best groups with Std velocity, 1070 FPS. None of the bench rest shooters use any thing faster than the speed of sound, most use ammo running 1050 FPS to about 1080.
Good luck
Kiddshooter
Kiddshooter