Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:07 PM
SportKing102
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mk 1 crazy auction price

Just had to share, went to an estate auction today, saw the ad for a Ruger pistol, serial put it at about 1970 production. (10-66440 to be exact)
Picture in ad sure looked like 6 7/8 heavy taper, adjustable rear sight. Confirmed in person as a mark 1. Excellent condition, though it could have been reblued at some point. No box or papers as far as I know.

Now for the crazy part- winning bid was $2,100!!!!!!
Must have been some family members in a dispute over Grandpa's gun, or maybe friend of the family bidding it up to help out, and it got out of control?

Anyhow, there were quite a few astonished looks by all but 2 of the bidders......
Old 01-07-2017, 07:33 PM
KKG515
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Welcome to the Land of Crazy aka: Auctions. I think STUPID is closer to the reality of things and for that money I'd say that couple of bidders were at the Head of the Class. These Idiots won't admit to it but they've got the money so I say let them.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:44 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I have a friend that is a fine firearms aficionado. He would attend some local auctions a few years back if there were firearms offered. A local dentist would attend the auctions also. Whenever firearms were on the auction block the dentist would outbid everyone else every time. Seems like the dentist just hated to lose. it got to the point that whenever my friend saw the dentist show up at an auction with guns, my friend would just leave instead of wasting his time.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:00 PM
KKG515
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Went to one after a local gun shop closed and people were bidding up the price of Remington 870s to well over half again the retail price. Go figure.

I managed to pick up a Smith and Wesson pre-Model 29 at a dirt cheap price because it WAS dirty! Again, go figure.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:56 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i think sometimes folks dont realize what they are doing when gambling - ive seen it with pull tabs - all you got to show for it is paper trash ,
Old 01-08-2017, 12:52 PM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It cuts both ways at auctions. Mostly, I see a lot of stupidity and ignorance with people bidding way over what the gun is worth, even to the point of insanity. By the same token, though, I've also snagged some truly collectible, rare and valuable guns at these local auctions because no one else present even recognized the guns for what they were. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen very often, but it is enough to make me attend an auction, now and then.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Attending an auction can get you great deals, but you have to examine each item and determine a maximum bid price before bidding starts. Too often people big based on the marginal price increase rather than the total price. Good auctioneers are expert at getting bidders to compete with each other and forget the total amount they are spending.

Sometimes it's much more fun to watch.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:50 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
I don't even go to many auctions these days, especially those that are held on weekends. The "looney bins" open all the doors and windows so all the inmates can attend. If there's an auction held mid-week, during the day and the listing includes an interesting firearm, that's when I'll go to at least inspect my interest before the numbered cards start getting raised from bidders.

Of all the auctions I've attended over the years there's only been ONE real gem that I won. There was a wooden crate that held a Remington Model 513T and an unmounted Unertl 4x tube scope with target blocks. I won that crate, and contents, with a bid of $105.00.

I don't expect my luck to be like that day, ever again.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:21 PM
22shooters

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportKing102 View Post
Just had to share, went to an estate auction today, saw the ad for a Ruger pistol, serial put it at about 1970 production. (10-66440 to be exact)
Picture in ad sure looked like 6 7/8 heavy taper, adjustable rear sight. Confirmed in person as a mark 1. Excellent condition, though it could have been reblued at some point. No box or papers as far as I know.

Now for the crazy part- winning bid was $2,100!!!!!!
Must have been some family members in a dispute over Grandpa's gun, or maybe friend of the family bidding it up to help out, and it got out of control?

Anyhow, there were quite a few astonished looks by all but 2 of the bidders......
Family members. Was at one that had all the grandsons bidding against each other for grandpa's guns. And in another ring were daughters and granddaughters bidding against each other for furniture,rugs,etc. In the will, they had all been left money to use at the estate auction. I don't bother with gun auctions at all anymore.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:00 PM
jason_garvin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I gotta say, those Mark I heavy tapers sure look nice....

Heres one in original condition, other then the RST22 grips, VQ extractor and bolt return spring assembly from VQ. SGW, don't worry I haven't dropped it in the creek yet coon hunting....

I will say this pistol is the smoothest shooting stock Ruger I have owned.

PS if it looks like a scratch here and there in the pics, it is rag fuzz, this pistol is flawless.

Jason Garvin

Last edited by jason_garvin; 01-09-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:29 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
I'm glad it went to a GOOD home. I just couldn't stand it that every day I'd walk past that pistol in one my safes and didn't grab a 100 pack of CCI Mini-Mags and take it out back to the range. It still looks as nice as the day it left the factory.