Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:11 PM
MarkS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I have been looking at 1 x 4 or so for a combo scope. Midway has one on sale, that I have been looking at. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/343...-reticle-matte

I just don't know how well the would work for speed steel.

Mark
Old 01-08-2017, 06:16 PM
frozen
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would not use a scope , just a red dot , you really want the rifle light and able to get to the next steel plate fast , a side note: the world champion nssf steel challenge ( kolby )use open iron sight. Something to think about
Old 01-09-2017, 12:15 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So I tested my scope on a very Challenging stage. I posted times that were just off the top competitor

However the field of view, although large was still tighter than I would have liked.
Had to keep both eyes open, and with the magnification it was awkward.

So douable (my times show that) but not optimal. I'll be mounting my Aimpoint and give that a go.

7lbs 8oz with mag.

By the way, this his was my first time ever shooting a rifle at a Steel Challenge.
I liked it.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 01-09-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I really appreciate everyone's advice so far! My current thinking is that I am going to put this gun together out of parts I already have in the closet, and then upgrade from there as needed. One issue I am thinking about is weight. I feel that a lighter gun will be easier to transition between targets, but I want a little weight to tame recoil. I know, I know; you're laughing at me, but I have a lightweight build that actually kicks a little with HV ammo, enough to jump a reticle off a target.

What I am wondering about is where I want that weight, in the barrel or the stock? Keeping the mass closer to me might help with swing, but muzzle weight might keep the gun on target better...

I am gonna try a light plastic stock with a factory 16.5" barrel, a cheap red dot, and a factory TG with some PC components in it, mainly because I have all these parts loose already I am reluctant to tear apart my Lightweight Field Rifle to try the TacSol barrel from it, so we'll see how it goes
Old 01-09-2017, 12:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
So I tested my scope on a very Challenging stage. I posted times that were just off the top competitor

However the field of view, although large was still tighter than I would have liked.
Had to keep both eyes open, and with the magnification it was awkward.

So douable (my times show that) but not optimal. I'll be mounting my Aimpoint and give that a go.

By the way, this his was my first time ever shooting a rifle at a Steel Challenge.
I liked it.

Smooth
Awesome! Hopefully we can meet one of these days down at UNSC
Old 01-09-2017, 12:39 PM
cwlongshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
I would not use a scope , just a red dot , you really want the rifle light and able to get to the next steel plate fast , a side note: the world champion nssf steel challenge ( kolby )use open iron sight. Something to think about
I agree with this 100%.

I have two guns setup for steel, one with peeps and one with a red dot. BOTH are very light and quick handling, smooth with ZERO add-on's You want repeat-ability. You want to practice smooth ergonomics speed will come as you learn and refine your motions.

Generally speaking I will beat myself with the peeps, simply cause they are faster to acquire. Using any scope will be slower then the red dot...

I shoot any local event I can. One does two classes separately on same steel. One for optics one for open sites.

I have been shooting steel plate events with RF and CF guns heavy for about three years now, more than a dozen years prior to that, with here and there matches and I can honest and truely tell you, I have NEVER ONCE seen a scope win in the higher classes. NOT ONCE! Yes, scopes will work OK for new and inexperienced shooters. But these folks also generally use all the ammo in there magazines too.

So get a red dot or get good peep irons and practice.

CW
Old 01-09-2017, 01:35 PM
jinx18

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
I agree with this 100%.

I have two guns setup for steel, one with peeps and one with a red dot. BOTH are very light and quick handling, smooth with ZERO add-on's You want repeat-ability. You want to practice smooth ergonomics speed will come as you learn and refine your motions.

Generally speaking I will beat myself with the peeps, simply cause they are faster to acquire. Using any scope will be slower then the red dot...

I shoot any local event I can. One does two classes separately on same steel. One for optics one for open sites.

I have been shooting steel plate events with RF and CF guns heavy for about three years now, more than a dozen years prior to that, with here and there matches and I can honest and truely tell you, I have NEVER ONCE seen a scope win in the higher classes. NOT ONCE! Yes, scopes will work OK for new and inexperienced shooters. But these folks also generally use all the ammo in there magazines too.

CW
What seem to be the go to sights? All I see is Cmore and Burris fast fire 3.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2017, 01:42 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Manford Trens

Shot at Renton yesterday, and it was very professionally run.
Scores are posted to "practice score.com", and show up within minutes of the end of the match.

You may want to check that match out next month.

In any case I'll be at UNSC in February.
If you come you can check out my rifle, and even shoot if you like.

Shoot me a PM if you decide to go.

Smooth

jinx18

I agree with you about scopes. I had the scope, and because of some unique features, I wanted to try it out.
But it was not ideal for sure even though I mange to post times in the mid 2 seconds to low 3's with it.
I've only shot 4 Challenge's in my life, so still very much a novice.

The range where I shot yesterday, Renton Fish & Game's junior team took 1st place in the nationals last summer.

I think the small reflex sights like the Burris FF are at a disadvantage to the C-Mores because of the more limited field of view and dimmer dots.

C-More's were in heavy use with the 36 shooters that attended.
Now on a rifle, it really isn't a big deal because it' so easy to get lined up with any Red Dott compared to using them on a pistol.

On pistols, I think open sight's can be super competitive with optics if your vision allows it. They can be quicker to get on target than many optics.
I'm using my Aimpoint because I have it, and my rifle dosen't have a front sight. And again, on a rifle, the sight/target alignment with a Red Dot is super quick and very natural.

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 01-09-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:54 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an Ultra-dot 6 that worked well but with rings compared to a v-10 with rings the difference is about 7oz of total weight.

If I were younger maybe I could see okay thru a 30mm diameter tube with no magnification but it just doesn't work for me. I get no realized field of view advantage with that over a 2x28mm scope. I can only assume a 2x38mm scope would realize a big field of view advantage over 2x28mm. No doubt Smooth's 3x44mm is similar but also longer, heavier, and higher than what one would get with a v-10 mounted low to the bore which is very doable with the o.d. of the v-10 objective.

With the cheek rest optimized for shape/position the eye stays centered in the tube and I am not 'looking' for the center of the cross hairs and don't hunt for targets looking thru the tube be it dot or scope. I find myself trying to 'place' the dot whereas I just 'see' the cross hair is one. Properly set up...it really has to be right there where you are looking.

Too old and hobbled up to even try to compete. Just saying that my approach to acquiring targets and hitting them fast is the same method I learned growing up hunting ducks, shooting trap, and hitting moving targets with 22. All with no optics. It took me a good while to learn that why I hated scopes in my younger days was because I could not shoot that way with a scope. Then, much later in life, I realized why scopes seemed awkward. Fixed that problem with the correct size,shape cheek rest, and adapted shooting with a scope to the same method as open sights that works so well for (most) sporter/military rifles assuming one has good eye sight.

Anyway, I am no hot-shot competitor for over 30yrs so what I think doesn't count.

At least I know what I like and why I like it which is very comforting to me.

Someone should gift me their old v-10 that doesn't get it for them anymore
Old 01-09-2017, 11:24 PM
frozen
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx18 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
I agree with this 100%.

CW
What seem to be the go to sights? All I see is Cmore and Burris fast fire 3.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
k

I use a Burris fast fire 3 on a 10/22 rifle with tacsol barrel a I use a cmore on my 22/45 pistol , that's what Works for me ,,many other choice out there