Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:31 PM
chapnelson
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DIY Slip Cuff Quick Release Sling

Not certain where this goes, so forgive me if this belongs in a different part of the site. I made it for a 10/22 if that counts?

Finished this up today for MrsChaps, shown on my LTR as hers is in small parts right now - its burgundy which will go much better with her LTR. This would be the first one I've made, took more time figuring out the sewing machine than it did to make, but I'm very happy with the result. Its a slip cuff sling with quick detach buckles. For loop sling shooting, you turn the sling as usual, slip your arm into the cuff which is already 95% to your size. Cinch adjust slightly, and you're set. You can do it on the fly, or one buckle detaches the rest of the sling to the butt, so you can remove that whole section during a course of fire. The other buckle breaks the loop so you can take it off in between courses, but quickly snap it back on. I also doubled the material inside the loop so it can't become a tourniquet. Works great as a regular carry sling as well, and for hasty sling shooting. Light, strong; like it so much, I'll be replacing all our slings as soon as I get more material.

Parts list:
. 6' - 1" Flat Nylon Webbing
. 2 - 1" Tri-Glides
. 2 - 1" Flat Side Release Buckles with single side adjust; only one has to be single side adjust, the rest can all be non-adjustable.
. HD Polyester Thread
. #16 Needle

I used three box stitches total; the rest is figuring out which way to attach the buckles - there is a right way, I discovered. I figure less than $5 to make, either 1" wide or 1.25" wide like a USGI. Google slip cuff sling quick release slings if you're not familiar with how they operate.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:52 PM
JeepRawr

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I like it, I was working on making my own sling for the Appleseed program. I like this version though I may adopt a few ideas and see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2014, 09:57 AM
COBrien
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Looks great! I may have to break out the fiancee's sewing machine next weekend...

Old 03-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Me likey. Well done, sir!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:48 PM
dufferDave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you don't mind...

Would you please fill in a few more details for us slow learners? (slow slingers??)

Like where do you find all those parts and materials for less than $5?

Do you have a little better picture that shows where the web loops through, where it attaches back to itself, etc?

Are there any critical measurements in web lengths, loop lengths, or hardware placement to get the loop to work properly when you do the "stick-your-arm-through" thing?

Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks ahead of time for your help.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:30 PM
chapnelson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DD,

Here's a pic that I hope helps.

There's a few places online to buy the stuff; strapworks.com is one. You can find it at Wal-Mart, or Joann Fabrics, but it seems a little more costly.

As for measurements, I start with 72", cut it at 42 for the upper strap, 30 for the lower. Burn the ends of the nylon strap to keep it from fraying.

You're going to sew a female end of a Side Release Buckle onto the end of the 42" strap; give yourself 8 or so inches of overlap, and sew at least two box stitches ... looks like a box with an x in it ... one right next to the buckle, and the other one on the end of the overlap. This forms a section of the cuff and keeps it from being just a simple tourniquet, if you've ever seen someone lose circulation in their left arm from loop sling shooting.

Now sew a male end of an SRB onto the end of the 30" strap; you only need enough overlap for one box stitch, like 2" or so. This may be the adjustable side, in which case run the strap from under the end, around the center then back to the under side, so when you stitch it its on the hidden side of the strap - closest to the gun.

Clip the straps together and lay the whole thing out. The "ugly" side with the overlapped sections should be facing the ground, and the "pretty" side up.

Now disconnect the straps, and reverse the top strap end to end so the female end is on the opposite end. Now find the other female end and clip it to the lower strap.
Take the end of the upper strap, feed it through the top of the female end of the SRB on the lower strap, and pull it through until you get to the doubled over section ... roughly 6" from the other female end.

You should have one adjustable male end left; feed that onto the upper strap with the tip facing down, and slide it down until you can clip it into its own end.

Now you have two tri-glides left; one goes on each end, thread it from the underside of one end, over the center, then under the other end, loop it through a swivel end, then back through the tri-glide. This is how you adjust each strap for length. Depending on the length of the rifle, you will probably wind up trimming off the ends so you don't have a lot of extra hanging around.

It makes a lot of sense when you lay it all out, I promise!

The really PITB is figuring out the sewing machine; I wound up hand turning the action for the whole thing. I highly recommend you run a few stitches on a piece of strap so you can adjust the tension on the machine. Use a #16 or #18 machine needle, and heavy polyester thread. You do not need to double up the stitch, if you use the box stitch, just make sure you lock the ends of the stitch. Here's a tutorial on the stitch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y03wcd_Z1G4

Last edited by chapnelson; 03-10-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:06 PM
dufferDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thankyou!

I believe I shall give that a try.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:03 AM
tinman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
chapnelson:
"Not certain where this goes, so forgive me if this belongs in a different part of the site. I made it for a 10/22 if that counts?"

Thanks for caring that you post in the correct area! This is Anything 10/22 and you nailed it!

Great job on the shooting sling also! I tried to use my wife's sewing machine once.......what's a bobbin?
Old 03-11-2014, 06:16 PM
T191032

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapnelson View Post
DD,

Here's a pic that I hope helps.

Nice!
Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 PM
chapnelson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Pics, sling #2 out of mil spec 1" nylon - don't like it for 2 reasons
1. Slippery and thin; slides through buckles more easily. Still holds, but not as reassuring as flat nylon.
2. Tighter weave; bent a needle on this stuff, and had to readjust tension all over. Flat nylon is plenty strong, but more porous, so the stitch gets into the material instead of laying on top.

But added an old nametape to the outside of the cuff, adding an extra layer of thickness to the anti-tourniquet piece.

These pictures might be more helpful to folks trying to do this themselves. [My box stitches were gnarly on this one with the different material, but plenty strong.]
Old 03-19-2014, 08:29 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
very nice , i think i will try one , i have the bits and material , just need some time
Old 05-12-2014, 10:06 PM
chapnelson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Finally had some time with a sewing machine.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:08 PM
jesus7

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can you please repost the pictures of your DIY slip cuff rifle sling?
Old 01-07-2017, 01:56 AM
Penn25
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would also like to see a repost of this sling.

Aloha
Old 01-07-2017, 11:48 AM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (106)