.22 Ammo Testing with the Ruger 10/22 & New KIDD Barrel - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:01 PM
rcmark

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
.22 Ammo Testing with the Ruger 10/22 & New KIDD Barrel

Last edited by rcmark; 03-10-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:10 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Kidd Supergrade on average shoots Lapua and RWS somewhat better than any Eley.

The best cost vs performance ammo has been Center-X, which also shoots really well in both my Anschutz 1416 and 1727F-22.

The 1727F-22 shoots extremely well with Center-X, RWS 50 and Eley Tenex. So it's not picky.

But if I could only have two different ammo's, it would be SK+for practice and Center-X for competitions.

That's why I have a case of each.

Smooth
Old 01-02-2017, 08:17 PM
Tyendor
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
NICE!
I hope mine does as well as yours, our builds are almost the same. I have the Kidd 20" tapered along with his 2 stage trigger. The bolt , guide rod ,spring and charge handle are also Kidd. The biggest difference is the scope, mine wears a 6-20x40 Weaver Grand Slam. Never shot it past 50 yds though. We get winter here so I shoot from the shop with the overhead door up so I can sit in the sun and out of the wind.Anything longer than 60 yards I have to go out back, down the hill and in the wood lot where the sun don't shine. That's not gonna happen till it warms up a bit because the older I get the less I like being out in the weather.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:55 AM
rth1959rth
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That Center X group looks great. Now for the $10,000,000 question. Is it repeatable?

It certainly is the best of the lot, but need more groups to verify consistency IMHO.

BTW, I have got a similar build: Ruger factory laminate .920 stock, Kidd 18" fluted/threaded SS .920, Kidd bolt, Kidd charging handle & guide rod, DIY trigger job - 2# with over travel screw, and modified bolt release.

Gecco bolt and CCI SV are my $4/box practice ammo and do double duty as hunting ammo after they have been Hollow Pointed.

Got a couple of boxes of Eley targer and Club to try out. Also ordered a brick of Aguilla rifle match but have not had a chance to shoot as it has been cold and windy here. Lots of recomendations for Lapua, so I may need to give some a try.

Your CCI SV looks similar to my experience - some great groups but the occasional flyer/fliers spoil the group. I look at the best 4 out of 5 or best 8 out of 10 when shooting groups with it. I need to get a chrono and see if the fliers are ammo related or shooter related as they occur.

Oh, my first Kidd component was the barrel. Very impressive quality. All other aftermarket parts have been Kidd as well - no reason to change! My next build may be a Heavy Taper as well. I have this taper on a Ruger 77/22 in 22 Hornet and like it very much.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:01 PM
rcmark

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rth1959rth View Post
That Center X group looks great. Now for the $10,000,000 question. Is it repeatable?
I will never know. I will not pay $0.30 cents a round for .22 ammo(again), $0.15 is my maximum limit.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:56 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmark View Post
I will never know. I will not pay $0.30 cents a round for .22 ammo(again), $0.15 is my maximum limit.
How's the new barrel doing at 50 yards? Every one of those, except maybe the Federal Target, should be able to shoot consistently (average of several consecutive groups) under 1/2" and more likely 3/8"-1/4" for the high end stuff. That might give you a more usable comparison, since things like wind can have a bigger influence at 100.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:40 PM
rcmark

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhp View Post
How's the new barrel doing at 50 yards? Every one of those, except maybe the Federal Target, should be able to shoot consistently (average of several consecutive groups) under 1/2" and more likely 3/8"-1/4" for the high end stuff. That might give you a more usable comparison, since things like wind can have a bigger influence at 100.
Don't shot at 50 yards.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmark View Post
Don't shot at 50 yards.
Understood. You can probably find ammo within your under 15 cent limit that will perform at 100 on a calm day. I see several targets qualifying at better than MOA average on the 100 yard ultimate game using SK+ and one using Geco, which are in the 12-13 cent range, so it's possible, especially with that Kidd barrel. Looks like yours performs with Eley, so Eley Club might be one to try?