Which grips? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:31 PM
Hanshi
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

They were new, just in the miscellaneous bin. I checked (I must be blind or something) and they are Ruger grips from the factory. Haven't seen another pair like them since. They fit me perfectly and look good, too.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:24 AM
Clovishound
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question for you, Hanshi. Did you put some kind of finish on those grips? Almost looks like BLO, or a light coat of some oil finish on them.

Mine were bare wood when purchased, and have had nothing on them except stray gun oil and finger oils. They still look great, despite the thumb rest getting a few dents over the years. It has been a user, not a safe queen. I have considered putting a light coat of Danish Oil on them, but that is a one way trip. The checkering soaks up a bunch more than the smooth edge grain and is nearly impossible to effectively sand, if you want to remove the oil finish. If you aren't happy with the results, you are out of luck. Smooth edge grain is easy peasy to play around with. It is also much more likely to take a finish evenly.

I could probably condition the grips with a spit coat of shellac prior to Danish oil and keep things even, but again if things don't go as I would like them, there is no going back. Also no scrap checkered wood to experiment on, unless I want to try my hand at checkering.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:30 AM
JStacy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
some satin finish tung oil would make your grips show up better and light enough finish to not make them look plastic.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:37 PM
Clovishound
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Again, the issue is most any drying oil finish will absorb a very different rates. The checkering is going to be a mess of edge grain, end grain, and in between. If it were all smooth edge grain, I wouldn't hesitate to put an oil finish on it.

This isn't a showcase weapon. It is a well used range weapon. I think it is a great looking old pistol, but I am more concerned with how it feels in the hand, and how tight a group my daughter and I are able to put on paper. Otherwise, I would send it off for rebluing, and pick up a nice set of cocobolo grips. Or, perhaps I would make a pair of bloodwood grips. I love the look and feel of bloodwood.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:39 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
some fantastic looking posts of great mkIs , id be happy with anyone or all ,
Old 07-19-2016, 05:53 PM
1gunsnotenough

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
I use the none thumbrest Houges on all my MKIIs. I grip my pistols with left hand and thumb forward as I would a 1911.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:58 PM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
There were wood non-thumb rest grips available at one time. My Mark I came with two sets of grips.
One with and one without thumb rest. This is a 54 frame version

Old 07-21-2016, 01:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At one time you could order a single thumb rest grip to swap with a flat grip from Ruger
Old 07-22-2016, 09:24 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
I bought this Ruger Mark I Target like three months before the Ruger Mark II pistols became available.

The optional factory target grips did not arrive with any finish in the wood.

This is a set of panels made for the A54 grip frame for an RFC member.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:55 PM
Hanshi
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovishound View Post
Question for you, Hanshi. Did you put some kind of finish on those grips? Almost looks like BLO, or a light coat of some oil finish on them.

Mine were bare wood when purchased, and have had nothing on them except stray gun oil and finger oils. They still look great, despite the thumb rest getting a few dents over the years. It has been a user, not a safe queen. I have considered putting a light coat of Danish Oil on them, but that is a one way trip. The checkering soaks up a bunch more than the smooth edge grain and is nearly impossible to effectively sand, if you want to remove the oil finish. If you aren't happy with the results, you are out of luck. Smooth edge grain is easy peasy to play around with. It is also much more likely to take a finish evenly.

I could probably condition the grips with a spit coat of shellac prior to Danish oil and keep things even, but again if things don't go as I would like them, there is no going back. Also no scrap checkered wood to experiment on, unless I want to try my hand at checkering.

Clovishound, They were like that when I found them, fully finished. Realized recently that they are Ruger grips. They are the best feeling grips I've ever put on that old MKI. I've refinished grips before and it's a headache as far as I'm concerned. I was fortunate to run across them. That was back in the early 1970s.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:17 AM
National Guard Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Unhappy grips

The flat grips sold for $3. The one with the thumbrest was $3.25. Had a set on a standard. Traded it for Mark II. Kept the grips, wouldn't fit. Sold to the gun store for $20. Got another Standard recently, need my grips back.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:37 AM
fergusontd
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bought this in 1975. Mark 1 5 1/2" bull barrel.I ordered new walnut grips, new springs, and firing pin. It has 7 clips along with a Bushnell Trophy 1 scope. I've put alot of different rounds thru it, and it prefers Winchester.Super X
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PicsArt_12-08-10_1481211406408.21.28.jpg (257.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-11-2016, 09:30 AM
Model 52
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the old Mk I thumb rest grips and looked around for a while for a nice set of original Mk 1 thumb rests grips.

Yes, it is an adjustment from the two handed, thumbs forward grip you'd use on a self defense handgun, but it lends itself very well to the single hand grip you use in Bullseye competition and it still allows you to adapt that grip for use with a support hand - just keep the support hand thumb lower and on the underside of the thumb rest.

If you don't like thumb rest grips at all, just get a pair of regular Mk I grips. They seem to show up on e-bay now and then for $10-$20.

Last edited by Model 52; 01-25-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:19 PM
Hanshi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just a thought but I've always been a sucker for wood; but dang if those Hogues don't look good, too. I've replaced wood grips on a few guns with synthetic ones like that for simply ergonomic considerations.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:35 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model 52 View Post
If you don't like thumb rest grips at all, just get a pair of regular Mk I grips. They seem to show up on e-bay now and then for $10-$20.
I recently bought a new set of Mark II grips from shopruger dot com for $7.00, including new screws.