basic dissasembly of a 10/22 (tutorial in progress) - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:36 AM
MorlyKrupt

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
basic dissasembly of a 10/22 (tutorial in progress)

okay ima gunna try this again. unfortunatly i let the last one got deleted (silly me)...

Dissasembly of a 10/22

a beginners guide

First - First - First, is of course SAFETY always check to make sure your rifle is unloaded before starting any projects!

The first step in dissassembly is removing the takedown screw (unless you have one of those fancy models with the barrel band, you will want to remove the barrel band first!). Having a good quality flat ended (as in not tapered) screw driver is best for the job but before you strip the darn thing you may want to change to a allen head screw for better re-torquing feel. Especially if your the "can't leave good enough alone" type.

After removing the screw, push the safety half way so its in the middle of the setting. This will help prevent damage of the stock as you slide the action away from the stock. When removing the action from the stock, you need to tip the for-end up and pivot it out from under the ledge on the trigger group.

Next remove the receiver pins. If the pins haven't already fallen out then they may require some tapping, but usually no heavy force is required.

After the pins have been removed the trigger group can be separated from the receiver.

Next stop - the Bolt Stop

These can be loose fitting from the factory or require a punch and hammer to remove but after its out, toss in one of those fancy rubber type bolt buffers you just bought.

Remove the barrel hold down screws and the V-block to remove the barrel (nothing magical about this step)

If the barrel has a snug fit I like to use a twisting motion while pulling the barrel away from the receiver.

Last edited by MorlyKrupt; 06-28-2009 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Editor editing Editors edits
Old 12-05-2007, 10:37 AM
MorlyKrupt

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)

After removing the bolt stop, slide the bolt completely rearward in the receiver. The reason I have these 2 pictures out of order is to show that if you cock the guide rod handle to the side the bolt will remain open making it easier to release the death grip you have on the receiver and guide rod handle. Then you can reach one hand around inside of the receiver and grab a hold of the front of the bolt and lift away from the receiver, however you may want to keep your thumb on the handle.

With the bolt stop removed, the front edge of the bolt will just clear the receiver. (See arrow) At this point the bolt, spring, guide and handle can be removed. When reinstalling the bolt insert the front of the bolt first (this is the most frustrating part of the process).

Reverse instructions for assembly.

Last edited by MorlyKrupt; 03-12-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Admin3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Resident Curmudgeon
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Let's work on this up here in Anything 10/22. I, too, did not realize that the Test forum would be pruned and your last effort deleted.

We would appreciate if people would refrain from posting in this thread. Let MorlyKrupt finish it.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:01 PM
tomfish1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
please finish play by play for us noob's. thx
Old 03-17-2009, 07:11 PM
AlanLee
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Not to be picky, but on a many of models the first step, after checking the weapon is empty, would be to remove the barrel ring.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 PM
MorlyKrupt

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Thanks

check!

I did a little bit of tweaking (long overdue, I know), if there is anything else you would like to see, or are having troubles with send me a pm.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:46 PM
IceDeep

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorlyKrupt View Post
check!

I did a little bit of tweaking (long overdue, I know), if there is anything else you would like to see, or are having troubles with send me a pm.
Thanks for this info

Disassemble pictures and info are perfect. Just going backwords worked for everything with the exception of the handle/spring/guide which was tight as the dickens and I had to use a screwdriver (I got this info from another howto on the web) to put it back in place with the bolt. Maybe include this info for newbs to 10/22's like me? Hope this is helpful to you and others.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:53 PM
gringojosh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How much disassembly is required to thoroughly clean the rifle?
Old 09-29-2013, 04:22 PM
East River Guide

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDeep View Post
Thanks for this info

Disassemble pictures and info are perfect. Just going backwords worked for everything with the exception of the handle/spring/guide which was tight as the dickens and I had to use a screwdriver (I got this info from another howto on the web) to put it back in place with the bolt. Maybe include this info for newbs to 10/22's like me? Hope this is helpful to you and others.
+1. All very easy except it was tricky to get the spring to compress on reassembly. One it started to move it was fine but a bit sticky to get moving. Any clever tricks to help with this would be appreciated.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:35 AM
old eyes

South Carolina @ the edge of the mountains
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This helps a lot for those of us that just are not mechanically inclined. I am getting ready to rebuild 2 stock rifles and was concerned about just getting the trigger pack out to send off, but it looks like there is not that much to it. Thanks for the pictures.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:35 PM
jay6ird

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How do you correctly remove a VERY tight barrel??
Old 12-06-2016, 01:11 AM
VinnyScope

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay6ird View Post
How do you correctly remove a VERY tight barrel??
I'd love to get a tutorial on this too.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:12 AM
OleFreak
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
10/22™ really tight barrel removal
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=631049
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ad.php?t=88159