What would you do with this modified stock? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:45 PM
hokiefyd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What would you do with this modified stock?

2017-01-08_08-31-41 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

I bought this stock off eBay (from Numrichs) because it looked interesting to me. I liked the look of the cheek riser and it also had somewhat of a finger groove forend. The pistol grip was also recurved some.

But, after a lot of paint stripping and sanding, it looks like a factory Ruger stock with some plywood and filler. I'd say the guy did a fantastic job in terms of workmanship -- everything was pretty smooth and it seems done well. It's had three colors and at least as many physical coats of paint. The first color is blue. At some point after that, it was silver. Its last color is black, though the black has a very slightly rubbery/plastic feel to it. It felt extremely close to CZ's "polycoat" that they put on their CZ-75s.

2017-01-08_08-30-09 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

2017-01-08_08-32-27 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

2017-01-08_08-32-09 by jnjadcock, on Flickr

He built up the cheek riser with what appears to be a 3/4" piece of plywood and some filler. He filled in the curve of the butt with plywood and he built up the right side of the pistol grip with wood filler for a bit of a palm swell. It all feels okay -- the cheek riser is a little thick, though. The height is okay, but it's so thick, it pushes my eyes off-center. I plan to, at the very least, shave some of that cheek riser off.

But I rather like the grain of the stock. I figure this must be an old stock, just guessing from the number of coats of paint it's had. What do you reckon the wood species is? The grain looks a little coarser than the older birch stock I recently bought (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=833329). At least half of me wants to strip all of the modifications off this stock and put a nice stain on it.

What do you think? Is the stock worth turning back into a wood stock? Any ideas for what else I could do with it? I bought it as a project, just to see where it would take me. Any and all comments are certainly appreciated.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:01 PM
hokiefyd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiefyd View Post
Is the stock worth turning back into a wood stock?
It'll always be a wood stock! I meant to ask, is it worth turning back into a factory-style stock?
Old 01-08-2017, 09:15 PM
JB46
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
wood stock

looks like walnut, but my eyes are 71 years old, Jim.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:28 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Now...that.....
Is one interesting stock!
Old 01-08-2017, 09:40 PM
azjeff
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Can you get all that off without damaging the stock underneath? What if you get it off and the stock is already hacked up? Maybe massage the add-ons and see if you can get something you really like? Do you have the ability to cut that butt plate back and put on a proper recoil pad? There's been some pretty nice paint jobs shown using cobweb paint or whatever it's called. This looks like your chance to think outside the box!
Old 01-09-2017, 07:39 AM
hokiefyd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjeff View Post
Can you get all that off without damaging the stock underneath?
So far, it looks promising. I've been able to cut away (with a mouse sander) at the wood filler, and there seems to be good wood under the filler. Some of what you see as naked wood right now was previously covered by filler. It doesn't look like he used filler to repair a damaged stock -- just to contour the stock to what he wanted.

Quote:
What if you get it off and the stock is already hacked up?
I'll be out some time, but nothing else. If I wasn't clear in my previous post, I liked the look of this stock better than the feel of it. The cheek pad is way too thick for me, so that'll have to come down quite a bit. The finger grooves at the front work okay, but they're uneven when looking at the stock from the front. They're okay -- just not anything that I'd be upset over if they were gone. Given the really pretty grain on this stock, I think I'd rather have the natural look on this than the add-ons.

Quote:
Do you have the ability to cut that butt plate back and put on a proper recoil pad?
Yes. I do prefer the crescent shape to the butt plate, and I may look at carving his extension back off to put the factory Ruger butt plate back on it. Or, if I find a curved rubber recoil pad that's designed to be fitted to a flat butt (like a Sporter stock for example), I could do a straight cut and use that instead.

Quote:
There's been some pretty nice paint jobs shown using cobweb paint or whatever it's called.
I've looked at a lot of fishnet patterns and hydrodipping options. If I continue working with the stock and find that I can't restore it, and I need to use some filler just to bring it back to a conventional shape, I won't be able to stain it, and I'll have to consider painting it. But, I don't think I'll miss the modifications to this stock, because they're not comfortable to me anyway.

The grain of the wood is really talking to me on this stock. If it looked just like my birch stock, I probably wouldn't go to all the trouble. And even with this, I realize that I could just go buy a new or nice walnut stock for the price in time that I'll have on this. But, I enjoy working with wood and I really did want something to be able to work with and spend some time working on.

My other idea is to bob the stock and cut it off after the pistol grip and turn it into a Charger-like stock, if the butt of the stock is not usable. I have an 18.5" barrel, and my OAL would still be over 26", so I think I'd be good from a legal standpoint. I wouldn't be changing the use of the gun into a pistol (something intended to be fired with one hand), and I wouldn't be using a short barrel, so I don't think it would be classified as an SBR. As long as it'd be legal, I think that'd be something interesting and fun.

It might look something like this:

https://thewayithinkitshouldbe.wordp...uger-chargers/

That would sort of be a Plan B, though, in case I start working with the butt end and find that it's really dorked up under the cheek pad.

I think I'll start working with the front this week. I may take down the finger groove swells and see what the forend looks like. He's filled in the front barrel band cut so the stock has a smooth front. I don't like all the wood filler in that area, and I'll cut it out and either contour it back to be able to accept a barrel band again, or I'll cut that whole front section off and bob the front and shape it to look nice. I could do something like this at the front (first picture):

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...harger-pistol/

Last edited by hokiefyd; 01-09-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:05 AM
Scharfschutze

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My first thought was cherry, but after looking at all the pics I'm pretty sure it's birch... but one who's grain and the shape of the stock are well matched... it's nice. Definitely not walnut. If they didn't use any fasteners, it may go back to factory.... any adhesives can be dissolved, and from the look of the fit, they really tried hard to contour the parts to a glueable fit instead of screwing hunks of wood on and using the filler to fill the voids.... also good. So, I believe you could take it to factory more than likely. But you've got that already with your gun show find... (I went to that show, thanks for the heads up)
Have fun with it... your ideas sound good!
Old 01-08-2017, 10:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very unlikely to be restorable to original condition. I would modify it to fit me and repaint.