Trigger device, fire when squeezed and released - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:50 PM
Retrax

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Trigger device, fire when squeezed and released

I recently saw a video from the 2016 SHOT show which was profiling the new Fostech trigger assembly for the AR-15 which allows the rifle to fire when squeezing AND releasing the trigger. They have ATF approval for it.

That got me thinking back to the early to mid 1990's when I saw a Ruger 10/22 rifle which had a device mounted in the trigger guard which created the same function. It was thin blued steel and if I remember correctly, it followed the trigger guard up behind the trigger and had a small tang which wedged up behind the trigger. I am not sure of the mechanics of this but it did allow the gun to fire upon squeezing and releasing the trigger, effectively doubling the rate of fire.

This was pre Internet "e-commerce" days so it was likely mail order. I never saw it again and wondered if perhaps the ATF decided to regulate it. There were no springs, screws, adjusters or anything else, just a one piece thin steel device that snapped into the trigger guard and fit along the guard, wrapping up behind the trigger.

Has anyone else heard of this?
Old 09-24-2016, 05:48 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I remember the hand crank that mounted on the trigger guard. Made it practically full auto. Either gizmo would be bad news if you got a squib. You'd have a barrel full of bullets before you knew it.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:07 PM
coyotesilencer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have seen the ( paper clip) trick on Ruger Mini's but never a 10-22.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:17 AM
weblance

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Retrax... It was the HellFire Trigger. I had one on my 10/22 in the 90s. It would allow incredible rates of fire, until it wore a groove in the aluminum trigger. I quit using it because it was cutting into my trigger blade badly. I looked for a steel replacement trigger, but nothing was available.

I remember one New Years Eve, when everyone was shooting at midnight, I stepped outside and let off a full burst from a Ramline 30 magazine. It was dead quiet. I had a second Ramline 30 loaded up, and did it again. It was quiet for about 2 minutes, then everyone started shooting again. The HellFire simulated full auto rate of fire. It was fun while it lasted. I still have both Ramline 30s, the instructions and the little tab from the HellFire(somewhere in a box), but the piece of spring steel that wrapped inside the trigger guard to hold the tab, is long gone.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:43 PM
Retrax

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you Weblance, I knew I wasn't hallucinating! I wonder if they still make those things, it was a pretty cool toy.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:13 AM
weblance

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
They do not make the HellFire anymore. There may be a similar product but I'm unaware of it.

There is a device called the BMF Activator. Its a crank that bumps the trigger 4 times for one revolution of the crank. It is a legal device because the rifle still only fires once per trigger pull. You can not however legally modify it to use a device to actuate the crank, such as an electric drill.

I have 2 BMF Activators, new in box, but have never used them.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:29 PM
t4daddy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weblance View Post
Retrax... It was the HellFire Trigger. I had one on my 10/22 in the 90s. It would allow incredible rates of fire, until it wore a groove in the aluminum trigger. I quit using it because it was cutting into my trigger blade badly. I looked for a steel replacement trigger, but nothing was available.

I remember one New Years Eve, when everyone was shooting at midnight, I stepped outside and let off a full burst from a Ramline 30 magazine. It was dead quiet. I had a second Ramline 30 loaded up, and did it again. It was quiet for about 2 minutes, then everyone started shooting again. The HellFire simulated full auto rate of fire. It was fun while it lasted. I still have both Ramline 30s, the instructions and the little tab from the HellFire(somewhere in a box), but the piece of spring steel that wrapped inside the trigger guard to hold the tab, is long gone.
I still have one in its original package.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:16 PM
kevinqjhps
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do remember those. It was (or seemed) 30 years ago. I did NOT see one in person but remember seeing the adds for them in the gun rags. IF you were a responsible owner, safety wouldn't be an issue,but I could see where a 'range idiot' could be dangerous using one.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:20 PM
xit
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to xit Send a message via Yahoo to xit
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrax View Post
I recently saw a video from the 2016 SHOT show which was profiling the new Fostech trigger assembly for the AR-15 which allows the rifle to fire when squeezing AND releasing the trigger. They have ATF approval for it.

That got me thinking back to the early to mid 1990's when I saw a Ruger 10/22 rifle which had a device mounted in the trigger guard which created the same function. It was thin blued steel and if I remember correctly, it followed the trigger guard up behind the trigger and had a small tang which wedged up behind the trigger. I am not sure of the mechanics of this but it did allow the gun to fire upon squeezing and releasing the trigger, effectively doubling the rate of fire.

This was pre Internet "e-commerce" days so it was likely mail order. I never saw it again and wondered if perhaps the ATF decided to regulate it. There were no springs, screws, adjusters or anything else, just a one piece thin steel device that snapped into the trigger guard and fit along the guard, wrapping up behind the trigger.

Has anyone else heard of this?
yes in sporting clays years ago , old trap shotooters had them to stop the flinch. gun had to be marked with an orange sticker. SO DANGEROUS they finally out lawed them a lot of sighs from members. SO BAD, u did not have shoot on that squad. 10 person squads,in big shoots. 9 of us left a squad 1 time. not funny

act accordingly legal but bad news

xit

Last edited by xit; 01-13-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:55 PM
92lowrider
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xit View Post
yes in sporting clays years ago , old trap shotooters had them to stop the flinch. gun had to be marked with an orange sticker. SO DANGEROUS they finally out lawed them a lot of sighs from members. SO BAD, u did not have shoot on that squad. 10 person squads,in big shoots. 9 of us left a squad 1 time. not funny

act accordingly legal but bad news

xit
That was a simple release trigger, they are still used in trap and skeet. What we're talking about here fire on pull and again on release, two shots per trigger squeeze.