Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:32 AM
rkittine
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Barrel and Chamber Life

Again as a Newbie, I have no experience in this. What is the expected life of a .22RF barrel / chamber?

Bob
Old 02-14-2017, 09:27 AM
Keeley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Forever

Depending on what type of shooting you do. The accuracy you expect and the ammo you use the barrel and chamber can last the rest of your life with a cleaning now and then.

T
Old 02-14-2017, 09:49 AM
noremf
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Barrel life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
Again as a Newbie, I have no experience in this. What is the expected life of a .22RF barrel / chamber?

Bob
With a quality .22 the barrel/chamber life is probably longer then you will be alive relative to shooting it. Many are still doing well and accurate after 100,000 rounds. There are reports, like from Lija that even 200,000 rounds have been observed and still providing acceptable accuracy to the owners with the exception of bench rest shooters. Those folks win or lose by hundred's of an inch.

I don't have any references relative to documentation but back in the 80's the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory did some testing on non-magnum .22 rimfire barrels and simply quit testing at 75,000 rounds. This was for non fully automatic weapons. With those you can burn up a barrel because of heat very quickly if you fire in a sustained mode.

The military said that was plenty for what they were interested in and told em to put the effort in what their original charter was.

Incorrect cleaning though is another story! You can screw up a .22 barrel in a couple of those cleaning cycles especially if you clean from the crown (muzzle end) instead of the chamber.

I don't remember for sure if it was Dieter Anschutz or not but it was an Anschutz family guy that said "you will never wear out an Anschutz barrel by shooting it but you will by cleaning it....."

He was against rods and bore brushes.

The debate on clean, not to clean, how to clean, how not to clean, what to clean with, has been going on at least as long as I have been shooting which is over 50 years.

If 100 guys/gals respond to this thread relative to the above, IME, you will get 33% of em saying one way, another 33% saying another way and the final 33% saying a different way then the first 66%.

All of the responses will be anecdotal though so you will have to pick which ones "turns you on".

Good luck

noremf(George)

Last edited by noremf; 02-14-2017 at 04:07 PM.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:20 PM
rkittine
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As far as shooting, I will be using my new Cooper 57M TRP to learn to shoot RF Bench Rest at 50 and 200 yards, while waiting for my new Gordon Eck build on a Stiller 2500X Action. So learning to use a tuner and how to select ammo, I expect to shoot it a lot.

I will try some more standard ammo and have a good supply, but will be focusing on Lapua and Eley premium level ammo. Match / Tenex, X-Act / Midas+

I am used to Bench Rest level cleaning, where some BR Calibers can wear out a throat in 1,000 or less rounds.

I have ordered a Lucas bore guide and appropriate Dewey Rod.

Bob
Old 02-14-2017, 01:03 PM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Prior to non corrosive ammo, .22 rimfire bores would corrode if not properly cleaned. Since the advent of non corrosive ammo I suspect no one has ever seen a .22LR rimfire barrel that was worn out. Simple reason is that all ammo is lead or copper washed lead and velocity rarely exceeds 1300 fps. I suspect it would take many 100s of thousands of rounds before the lead, at that speed, wore out a steel bore. Someone pls correct me if I am wrong on this!