Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:51 AM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Done a safety lately?

I have a trigger that is pretty nice OUT of a rifle. Trouble is the housing is somehow tweaked and you have to pound the pins in and I do not want to ruin my new 80% receiver doing this. Not the receiver's fault as this housing does the same thing in a looser Ruger receiver too!

I also have a stripped aluminum housing so the obvious choice is to move all the parts to the other housing.

None of this is a challenge to me other than it has been many years since I have installed a safety and it seems to me it was a PIA.

Looked in the Tips and Tricks and Stickies and did not see anything on this subject but I may have missed something.

A few years back I made a little tube shaped tool to do this but I have never tried it. Just wondering if any of you fine folks have any ideas other than the "do it in a bag" to save the detent ball from disappearing into the ozone layer?

Any and all advice appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 05-16-2017, 10:29 AM
rawhp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
I have a trigger that is pretty nice OUT of a rifle. Trouble is the housing is somehow tweaked and you have to pound the pins in and I do not want to ruin my new 80% receiver doing this. Not the receiver's fault as this housing does the same thing in a looser Ruger receiver too!

I also have a stripped aluminum housing so the obvious choice is to move all the parts to the other housing.

None of this is a challenge to me other than it has been many years since I have installed a safety and it seems to me it was a PIA.

Looked in the Tips and Tricks and Stickies and did not see anything on this subject but I may have missed something.

A few years back I made a little tube shaped tool to do this but I have never tried it. Just wondering if any of you fine folks have any ideas other than the "do it in a bag" to save the detent ball from disappearing into the ozone layer?

Any and all advice appreciated!
Maybe another solution might be to "fix" the old housing? If the 80% jig allows you to put the receiver in with the trigger housing in place, you could install one pin, put the receiver and group in the jig, and use the guide holes to ream the second hole. Might be worth a try if the housing isn't going to be used again anyway.

There are so many jigs out there, and it seems like some would allow it to work.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:45 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After watching this, even I could swap a safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfdWyqpxRuY

Old 05-16-2017, 02:05 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
get yourself one of the Gunsmither safety tools

I use mine all the time and I'm sure it has saved me from many hours of searching for lost springs and detents
Old 05-16-2017, 08:11 PM
zingbee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've used a ballpoint pen refill to depress the detent and spring. Simple and cheap. Swapped out a few this way.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:59 PM
CATMguy445
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to CATMguy445
As a matter of fact, I changed a safety last week. I swapped out the internal parts of a BX-Trigger and put them into a TI gold colored trigger housing. Taking the safety out is no big deal. You just have to hold your hand over the top of the housing so that when you remove the safety, the detent hits the palm of your hand instead of launching.

Putting the safety IN, however, is a completely different matter. I tried a few things, all of which showed real promise to get the safety detent launched into parts unknown. At this point, a wee bit of common sense snuck up told me to quit while I was still ahead. That is, while I still knew where the safety detent and spring were.

So I got on the computer, logged on to YouTube, and did a search for "10/22 safety installation", and came up with a couple of videos. One was by Gunsmither, and the other by a guy who isn't a professional gunsmith. I may order one of Gunsmither's tools, but I wanted to get the safety installed the same night. The video by the dude who isn't a gunsmith showed him taking a #2 pencil (has to be round, not hexagonal), and drilling a hole in it about 1.5" from the end of the pencil. The pencil was unsharpened, so the end was flat. That's important.

The guy wasn't real specific in the video, so I dug out my dial calipers and measured the detent to figure out what size hole I needed to drill in the pencil. Detent was 0.122", and a 1/8" drill bit is 0.125", so that gave me 0.003" clearance. I put the pencil in my drill press vise and drilled a 1/8" hole through the pencil (you could probably also do this with a 1/4" nylon bolt for a more permanent tool) about 1 1/2" from the end of the pencil. This isn't a critical measurement. Close is just fine.

Then I took the pencil and put it into the hole for the safety in the trigger housing and lined up the hole in the pencil with the hole that the safety detent spring fits into in the trigger housing, and used a pair of tweezers to drop the detent and spring into the hole in the pencil. It will drop far enough into the hole in the housing so the tip of the detent is just below the surface of the pencil. Then I took a pin punch just a tad smaller than 1/8" and used that to depress the detent and compress the spring. Once they were compressed enough to clear the bottom side of the pencil, I rotated the punch about 80-90 degrees. At this point, the pencil was holding the detent captive. Then I got the safety lined up, put the right end of the safety against the end of the pencil, and holding some pressure on the pencil with my fingers, slid the safety to the right until the detent snapped into the machined grooves in the bottom of the safety. And it's done. I did a function check, and the safety worked perfectly, and the installation went with little or no sweat.

Since the safety is the same diameter on both ends, it really doesn't matter which side you put it in from. I put it in from left to right, but it could just as easily have been from right to left. The long side of the pencil was on the right, so that the short end would be in the proper relation to the safety. The important thing is to keep the end of the safety tight against the end of the pencil as you're installing the safety. If it's not tight, there could be enough space that the detent will slip between the safety and the pencil and you'll have to start over. Not a big deal, but kind of annoying.

Anyway, that's my story about safety installation in a 10/22. It's easy with either a home made tool or the one from Gunsmither. Without the tool, it can be a real nightmare. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:02 AM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is exactly the same process, although different size, as installing a front take down pin on an AR lower.
With a tool of some kind ( easy to make) the job is easy peasy, without any tool, be prepared for frustration, cussing, and lost small parts.

Thank you for the pencil trick. Many people will be glad to hear it.

Kind regards

Rich
Old 05-19-2017, 02:47 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Done it before w/o tools made fore the job but was wondering what you guys do.

Gunsmither tools are always good no matter what they are. I may get the tool but money is short. I like the pencil tool as that is pretty slick. Never thought of that!

I do happen to have a round, unsharpened pencil sitting right here...

As for the 80% jig it does not hold the receiver in any way. It is a flat piece with pins poking out in many places to align the holes in the receiver.

The trigger housing is tweaked in some weird way. It would not come close to working in a Ruger receiver or the new one. I like the idea of a trigger assy that is snug but this thing requires pounding pins in even after trying to enlarge the holes and other things. The previous owner had the same problem with it. THIS IS GOING IN THE ALUMINUM RECYCLE STACK OR THE TRASH!!

All this is why I asked HERE. Always good to hear what RFC members are doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk