Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:44 AM
malneyugnfl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Henry .22lr Pump Action Rifle

Intro
There arenít a lot of reviews on the Henry .22lr Pump Action so I figured Iíd share my experiences with this rifle. Iíve used this rifle so far almost every day to hunt down rabbits, squirrels, and other pests on an organic/biodynamic farm that I am apprenticing at. Iíve hunted day and night, although not in the rain since all the critters hide away during the rain. Occasionally I do some plinking to test the zero of the rifle or to practice low light shooting on man sized targets without sights.
Overall, except for one annoying flaw, this rifle is great and I love it. It is tough, reliable, beautiful and extremely accurate. Without a scope, this rifle handles very well and you can feel the weight and quality in your hands. With a scope, it was accurate enough for me to shoot an egg sized object at over 100 yards.
My decision was between this Henry Pump Action @ $450 or the Ruger 10/22 @$270. I chose the Pump Action because you could use many different types of ammunition without worrying about cycling issues like you would with a semiautomatic. A manually operated action inherently tends to be more reliable and require less maintenance even though you canít shoot as fast.
The Henry was also a much more beautiful rifle with a thicker barrel, and like a bolt action, the pump psychologically makes you pay more attention to each shot unlike a semi-automatic. This will really help accuracy and ammo conservation.
Although the Ruger 10/22 has a lot of aftermarket parts and is a therefore a weapon tinkererís dream, that is not necessarily a good thing for my case. When I am always modifying my weapon, I canít train consistently and to a high level of skill and coordination since the weapon is always changing according to my nervous system. Also, worrying about weapon cycling issues depending on the ammunition is a drag. For me, a highly modifiable Ruger 10/22 would cause the mistake of having the mindset where I valued gear over skill/training.
On this rifle, I have an old Leupold Vari X-III 3.5-10x43mm Scope. I use a 1-piece Leapers Accushot mount of medium height that costs around $15.00. This mount is designed for magnum air rifles, so itís pretty tough.
I've had the scope on for about a week. In the past 1.5 months I've just been using the iron sights to hunt day and night.

Handling & Ergonomics
The rifle has a surprising amount of heft. It feels heavier than it looks. However the approximate 38Ē is a good length that doesnít feel too long or unwieldy. Iím a short 5í 6Ē guy, and the length of this rifle is fine for me.
The pump was a little stiff at first, but broke in after a while. Compared to a Lever-Actions, the pump is much quicker and more intuitive to use. It is also much sleeker without the lever bulging out of the rifle.
The quickness of the pump action as well as the comfortable design of the stock make this rifle very good for practicing shooting without sights with only moonlight at man sized targets at around 20-30 feet. Without a scope, the rifle feels quick and natural to point.
Of course adding a full sized scope makes the rifle more bulky and more delicate since there are more parts to break down. However, it really aids in accuracy and quick target acquisition.

Sighting Systems
Open Sights
Of course there are Semi-Buckhorn Sights on this rifle. They are made entirely of either alloy or metal. The brass bead on the front sight is very good for picking up light. When I hunt the rabbits at night with a headlamp, the brass bead reflects the light from my headlamp sufficiently to allow me to kill accurately with one shot. Honestly, for night hunting, I prefer the open sights over a scope because of the greater field of view, speed, and visibility.
The open sights are accurate once sighted in. I managed to hit a can at around 85 yards with the open sights and 90% of my kills were with iron sights. The problem is that they are a real pain in the *** to dial in. You need to use a fine point pen, oil pencil, or paint brush to mark where your spot was for the windage and elevation so that you can see where youíve adjusted on the rear sight.
The windage is a real pain in the *** to adjust. You have to put the rifle in a vice, remove the locking screw, and use a small hammer to tap the rear sight right or left. It is a pain to take the rifle in and out of the vice to take a test shot. Also, using a hammer to tap the rear sights is going to be inherently imprecise. For very fine adjustments, you have to use a very small amount of force on the hammer to move the rear sight an imperceptible amount. You have to be very precise with a hammer, and if you donít have a vice that is solidly mounted on a table, precision adjustments will be very difficult if not impossible.
Fine adjustments to the elevation also isn't that easy.
I finally sighted in to be able to hit the center of a can at 25 yards and gave up on any more precision. On the plus side, since they are so difficult to adjust, they will stay sighted in once adjusted. Also, these aren't sights meant for precision target shooting so maybe I just need to control my expectations...
Scoping the Rifle
You mount the scope on dovetails machined into the receiver cover. I know that the designers at Henry did the best engineering they could with the rifle, and I know the Henry Rifle is more of a traditionally open sighted weapon. However, mounting a scope on the receiver cover is not ideal. In order to clean the bore of the rifle from the breech to the crown, you have to remove the receiver cover with the scope attached to the receiver cover. This will obviously screw up the zero of the scope.
Also, you have to make sure to securely tighten the screws that attach the receiver cover or else your shot will shift in random directions. To avoid all these issues, Iíve had to really tighten down the screws attaching the receiver plate to the action and to avoid disassembling the rifle for cleaning as Henry advises.... If I clean the bore of the rifle, I have to use a coated rod and go from the muzzle to the breach which is not ideal.
The receiver cover is made of aluminum alloy so you need to use aluminum alloy scope mounts to avoid shifting in the scope and to keep the receiver cover from being damaged by the harder steel.

Accuracy
I didnít really shoot any groups at all when using this rifle. I think I might have got a .5-1 inch group while sighting in the iron sights at 25 yards. I just sighted the iron sights to where I could hit the center of a dog food [email protected] yards. I used American Eagle High Velocity Hollowpoint to sight in the iron sights. The Point of impact didn't really change significantly when I switched between different types of ammunition when hunting using iron sights.
I managed to hit a can at 85 yards with the open sights even though I had to hold over to the point I couldnít see the can. However, this rifle really shines in accuracy when you mount a scope to it. I had a Leupold Vari X-III 3.5-10x43mm scope that was free. At over 100 yards I was able to hit a chicken egg once I figured out the hold over. But even when I missed out of the three shots I took, I hit low and center of the egg. When shooting the egg, I was in a sitting position on the ground and I used CCI Standard velocity round nose ammunition to avoid the transonic zone of the bullet which would affect accuracy.
The rifle shot accurately and cycled all the ammunition I used: CCI Standard Round Nose, CCI 22 Long, American Eagle High Velocity, CCI Hollowpoint Subsonic, Remington Hollowpoint High Velocity, and Federal Subsonic Round Nose. I won't say that this rifle is sub MOA, but it is more than accurate enough for my ability and the effective range of a .22lr. I'm satisfied.

Reliability
So far, no failure to fire or cycle the ammunition I used. If you use a scope and disassemble your rifle for cleaning, make sure you securely tighten the screws that attach the receiver cover to the receiver or else, the cover will be loose and screw up your shot consistency. Also removing the receiver cover with the scope on it will screw up your zero. It is better just to listen to Henry and not open up your rifle.
A Pump Action rifle or any other manually operated action doesnít need to be very clean to cycle and operate effectively. And apparently .22lr rounds are very clean shooting anyways. So I don't foresee having to open up this rifle again anytime in the next year or two since at most I shoot 6 rounds a day and most of the time just 1 or 2 rounds a day.

Overall
This is a beautiful, accurate, and reliable rifle. The thick octagonal barrel is great for accuracy and is just beautiful. And the pump action for me is much more intuitive/quick then a lever action. It is faster than a bolt-action/single shot while still maintaining most of the mechanical simplicity, strength, and accuracy. Also, the pump can be fired almost as quickly as a semi-automatic but without having to worry about cycling problems from using certain types of ammunition.
The ****ty thing about the Henry is that you have to remove the receiver cover and scope in order to clean the action and the bore from the breech to the muzzle directionÖ But that can be worked around by using a coated cleaning rod and going from muzzle to breech which is not ideal. Also you will rarely ever have to clean the Henry rifle anywaysÖ
Also, the Henry rifle cost $200 more than the Ruger 10/22 and is not really modifiable unlike the 10/22. For me, this is great because this rifle doesn't need it, but this could be a dealbreaker. Also, the Ruger 10/22 is still really freaking reliable, accurate and you donít have to remove the scope every time you want to clean the internals of the Ruger 10/22. Overall, I love the Henry .22lr, pump action.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:13 AM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Very Good Review.

I agree with everything that you said. I also have mine scoped and enjoy it that way. I am 5'5" and I cut my rear stock down an inch to help my length of pull.

I have coated cleaning rods but for my pump action Henry I use a Bore Snake. You should try one they work really well for this rifle and a few more that I have.

Loved the review.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:06 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Talking my henry .22LR pump

very solid quality feel, this is a pump you must operate like you are mad at it. very stiff solid feeling pump action. always check pump handle screws, if they loosen up it WILL malfunction. mine is accurate ,I use iron sights only.i own 6 different .22LR pumps, my overall favorite is my 1958 Remington 572, the BEST pump action of all.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:28 AM
catbird

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
very solid quality feel, this is a pump you must operate like you are mad at it. very stiff solid feeling pump action.
Mine was very stiff, too. I stripped the bolt out of the action with the help of a YouTube video, and then degreased everything. Next, I applied three coats of dry moly to all moving parts. After reassembly I cycled the action some 300 times and now it is significantly easier to pump. Not as easy as the old Winchester 62's and 61's, but it is not unpleasant to run this gun anymore.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:44 PM
ppipe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Henry offer a HiViz sight set that is a little easier to adjust (you can also buy this set through other channels), however , the front sight has a narrow base and does not occupy all of the front dovetail's width. Will see how a Williams Firesight front sight with a wide base works and let you know.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:49 PM
catbird

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Check Out Skinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppipe View Post
Henry offer a HiViz sight set that is a little easier to adjust (you can also buy this set through other channels), however , the front sight has a narrow base and does not occupy all of the front dovetail's width. Will see how a Williams Firesight front sight with a wide base works and let you know.
Got mine a set of Skinner sights. Finest kind.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:33 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
YUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by catbird View Post
Mine was very stiff, too. I stripped the bolt out of the action with the help of a YouTube video, and then degreased everything. Next, I applied three coats of dry moly to all moving parts. After reassembly I cycled the action some 300 times and now it is significantly easier to pump. Not as easy as the old Winchester 62's and 61's, but it is not unpleasant to run this gun anymore.
mine smoothed up a lot with lube AND use! sadly, it will never be as light as my 572 Remington. not really possible, due to the large henry bolt and cocking the hammer when pumped. neither one applies to the Remington.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:13 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
the one in the photo is a superb example , congrats ,
Old 05-20-2017, 03:39 PM
Bobby T.
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great review.