Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:57 PM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

SailDesign:

The majority of the buyer are collectors or quasi-collectors (buyers who expect a return on investment over time but still shoot them). The minority are hard core shooters who want one of the best match grade guns they can buy, regardless that it may be older then they are.

fourbore:

Regardless of the size of Liberal California, when you go to a California gun show and may only see one or no High Standard target pistols for sale or virtually never see one at a local gun store for years, they constitute a rarity for the buyer. That forces the prices higher. That is the situation in Southern California (greater Los Angeles area) and has been such in the 30+ years I have been a gun nut in California. Guns show up when a collector cleans up his collection to eliminate doubles or dies and the family sells the collection. Shooter who have them don't seem to let go of them like you might see with other such guns.

I have seen new owners who report here that are NOT from the West Coast state prices they paid that are hundreds less than the pricing I have seen in my area when the guns do show up here.

Sorry, but I do not believe California sales of Hi Std target guns have near the volume of their sales compared to other places in the nation. But there is really no way to prove either view. The bottom line, in my opinion, is pricing is controlled by collectors and West Coast pricing is higher for these guns.

LDBennett
Old 05-17-2017, 02:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I have seen new owners who report here that are NOT from the West Coast state prices they paid that are hundreds less than the pricing I have seen in my area when the guns do show up here.
and

Quote:
Sorry, but I do not believe California sales of Hi Std target guns have near the volume of their sales compared to other places in the nation. But there is really no way to prove either view. The bottom line, in my opinion, is pricing is controlled by collectors and West Coast pricing is higher for these guns.
At a gut level this is not logical. Any California FFL with an IQ over 75 and desire to make money has too at least consider bringing in HiStandard pistols and marking them up. Not to mention, unknown tens of thousand of online buyers who get compliant pistols transfered in and hoard them like gold until death do they part.. The gun show is not the barometer it used to be.

Another example: You see so-called preban AR15 in excess of 2000 even 2500. I read more than one discussion with similar speculation that the 1/2 dozen ban states that allow these have driven the prices to the moon.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:51 PM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RUN back, buy 'em both, enjoy

Old 05-17-2017, 06:06 PM
irishbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love a good discussion!

The Supermatic Trophy is an SH serial number, beginning of the series so around 1981. I'm only buying it to shoot it, so I'm not concerned about collector value. My Victor is an SH model ("V" as well) and it shoots amazingly well (when I'm not having mag feed issues, but I digress).
I know of the later model changes is the removal of the push button take down to a screw. I take Rugers apart....I'm not sweating a screw haha

The Sharpshooter seems a step down but will make a nice pistol for the kids to learn on as well.

When NJ grants me my pistol permits in a week or so I'll let y'all know if I buy both.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:40 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
irishbob:

If ammo feeding is an issue you need to adjust the mag lips or replace the mags with new ones from InterarmsTX. Brownells sells them.

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/h...rod104530.aspx

Don't use Triple K mags as the lips are not hardened and they loose their tune over time.

To adjust the lips visit the web page below. It is best to use the tool but flat billed pliers can be made to work. If you make the tool then make the slit for the lip as thin as possible (hacksaw blade is really too thick).

http://www.histandard.info/Jim_Barta/

LDBennett
Old 05-17-2017, 07:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buying two more guns will put two more magazines into the pool. Wait, till you see what new magazines cost and you begin to appreciate the deal you are getting on these pistols. Assuming , $200 for a minty sharpshooter!
Old 05-17-2017, 08:37 PM
Pawa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbob View Post
I love a good discussion!

The Supermatic Trophy is an SH serial number, beginning of the series so around 1981. I'm only buying it to shoot it, so I'm not concerned about collector value. My Victor is an SH model ("V" as well) and it shoots amazingly well (when I'm not having mag feed issues, but I digress).
I know of the later model changes is the removal of the push button take down to a screw. I take Rugers apart....I'm not sweating a screw haha

The Sharpshooter seems a step down but will make a nice pistol for the kids to learn on as well.

When NJ grants me my pistol permits in a week or so I'll let y'all know if I buy both.
Forgive me irishbob , but do you need a permit for each pistol.
I bought three Browning Challengers a couple weeks ago off the internet FFL to FFL, filled out BATF five minutes later out the door in my hand 30 bucks transfer for all.

PS, Gotta love free states
Old 05-18-2017, 04:50 AM
irishbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
LDBennett....thank you. Yes I haven't taken the time to fix the mag issue with the Victor. Was gonna see how the Trophy feeds with my mags and then adjust. I'll get them all dialed in when I have them together.

fourbore... yes hoping the mags in these work well!

Although the mag issues did slow my excitement on the Victor, I'm now pumped to get these dialed in. One annoying thing is that HS puts RH grips on pistols, us LHers get screwed. $65 gets you used ones. I'm gonna leave RH on the Sharpshooter for the kids and put an ambi pair on the Trophy.

pawa....yes in NJ the initial step is get a firearms purchase card (forms, get fingerprinted, etc) and that card is for life.
Each time you want a pistol or pistols (rifles/shotguns you can walk in and walk out with your purchase.) you need to fill out two forms and then your local PD will issue you the permits in about 2 weeks. $20 plus $2 per permit, and you can buy one pistol every 30 days. LEOs have no 30day restrictions but still need all the same stuff I mentioned as nonLEO.
So a non LEO can buy a pistol a month. Annoying because I want the pistol now of course and it's 'Merica....but is what it is and really is just a timing issue that doesn't allow impulse pistol purchases. I love NJ but they have a law for everything.
But I'll say this, because you may not think of NJ as a gun loving state but it really is. My guy's shop is very very small but he can order anything, and there are always people in there with their permits buying pistols. NJ does around 350 NJSP crim checks a day on gun buys, so every day that many people are buying one. That's in the 100k / yr range that are bought in stores. Alot of guns for a small state!

Last edited by irishbob; 05-18-2017 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:52 PM
Pawa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks That sounds better than what I thought I read.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:07 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The original question was what is fair market value. Did not ask accuracy per dollar spent. Value has to include collectibility with a diminishing item. All being said, value is established by the overall group, he has the ability to shoot the pistols to see if accuracy factors in. We as a group are looking at a picture and can only base our thoughts on what that class of weapon has priced for in the past. If he is looking for gratification that he got a real deal, then so be it.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:39 PM
gstrange

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I see this an older post, but would like to throw my two cents worth in anyway. I bought a new in box SH series Citation SN# SH 125XX making it a 1981 made gun. The blue finish is very well done. The guyn and finish looks to be very well done as well. I wanted a High Standard for my collection for a long time. I paid $675.00 and feel I did well seeing others sell on gun broker in the $950.00 - $1000.00 range. This gun was truly new unfired. You can tell the bolt face and barrel faces have no discoloration or reside. I have put 200 rounds of federal gold medal match and get consistent 1\2" groups with no malfunctions of any kind. I have looked at other HS guns in the SH series that did not have the ssane level of finish this one does. I think later guns were not as well finised as the early ones. I think from what I have read quality went down hill as time went on. Look and do your homework and you can get a very nice SH series gun.