Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Put a LSP Match Barrel on my Victor

4K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  gregbenner 
#1 ·
I like to occasionally switch back and forth between iron sights and a dot sight on my pistols, but didn't like R&Ring the rail in order to do this on my Victor. I decidied to try the LSP match barrel, it is made from Douglas blanks, and they suggest accuracy of sub 1" at 50 yards (with CCI-Blue ammo).

The gun is an SH model, perhaps a bit rare in that it has the traditional push button take down vs the screw which is apparantly what most SH models have. I am still working on getting the gun to feed 100% reliably, but getting there.

The new barrel seems at least as accurate as the factory barrel at 25 yards, although since I shoot off-hand it would be hard to tell. I really like the balance of the shorter barrel as well. Sort of like getting s new gun:D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
LSP barrels

A good choice! I have two Victors, both SH, one screw takedown and one pushbutton takedown. The factory barrels were fine, but heavy for me. I replaced both with LSP barrels with rails and red-dots and I am very satisfied. The balance feels better (for me) and both work fine with CCI-SV. I haven't tried any of the higher-priced brands of .22's, but don't feel the need to. I shoot indoor and outdoor bullseye and both guns are great.

#3 ·
A good choice! I have two Victors, both SH, one screw takedown and one pushbutton takedown. The factory barrels were fine, but heavy for me. I replaced both with LSP barrels with rails and red-dots and I am very satisfied. The balance feels better (for me) and both work fine with CCI-SV. I haven't tried any of the higher-priced brands of .22's, but don't feel the need to. I shoot indoor and outdoor bullseye and both guns are great.
I agree re: factory barrel, mine originally had a rather heavy barrel weight on it:eek:

I also use primarily CCI-SV, particularly as it is now both readily available and much more reasonably priced. The LSP info referred to CCI-Blue in their accuracy info, bit I will confess I have never heard of it?

What type dot sights are you using?

#5 ·
I really like Burris sights have quite a few FF3s. Wasn't aware of the SpeedDot. Comparable to the UltraDot Matchdot2?

So you shoot NRA Bullseye Competition? 2700? I just started do that 6 months ago, really a learning experience. I use the Burris FF3 on the guns I shoot for that, I seem to like the reflex type a little better than the tube type, although the UD is very nice.

#6 ·
Red Dots on my Victors

I think the Ultradots are better scopes, but they only come in 1 in. & 30 mm tubes. I prefer a 35 mm but a good 35 is hard to find. All my target guns have 35 mm scopes. As mine die I will probably change to the Ultradots.

Most of my Bullseye is standard gallery course but I do shoot 2700s whenever I can, both indoor and outdoor. I hang out with some really good shooters so even though I've done this for a long time, I'm always learning something new. It's more challenging than a lot of people think.

#7 ·
Most of my Bullseye is standard gallery course but I do shoot 2700s whenever I can, both indoor and outdoor. I hang out with some really good shooters so even though I've done this for a long time, I'm always learning something new. It's more challenging than a lot of people think.
I hear you. My LGS and friend is a High Master, 2650 Club, etc.

It wouldn't be an Olympic Sport if it was easy:D

#8 ·
I have a lsp barrel on my ml victor the all steel one not the sleeved lightweight one. Shoots much better then I can. Right now 67,550 rounds and still have never cleaned the barrel inside just the barrel face and crown with a cloth. Shoots as accurate now as it did the 1st 50 to 100 rounds. I have 6 more lsp barrels for other high standards as well. Some lite weight some not. They all will shoot a one hole group at 25 yards without even thinking about it.
Wish I could say that I was a great shooter but I'm just more of a shooter that helps train others and enjoy watching them improve.
If I could take my best 2 slow fire, 99 and 97 along with timed 100-8x and 100-4x along with rapid 100 8x and 100 7x, I could call myself a great shooter but it's just not a regular thing. Best ever on this set that we shoot at 50' indoor is a 581 22x.
My goal just once is to shoot a 10x maybe someday but the best is a 9x target that was a 90 Yes a miss because I was so nervous also a 99.
I even like the lsp over my 2 volquartsen, but just by a small fraction. If I would have started with the volquartsen probably would have liked that the best by just a little.
Sorry about rambling on but just love the victors as they are my favorite of all high standards. To date have all varieties except an Allen screw and slant grip(which I'll probably never be able to find or afford).
Enjoy your victor, feed it sv or subsonic ammo and you will have a fun and accurate pistol. That will work on squirrels out to 50 to 70 yards.
Make sure you pull the magazines apart and keep them clean as they will get gritty and dirty.

#10 ·
If I could take my best 2 slow fire, 99 and 97 along with timed 100-8x and 100-4x along with rapid 100 8x and 100 7x, I could call myself a great shooter but it's just not a regular thing. Best ever on this set that we shoot at 50' indoor is a 581 22x.
My goal just once is to shoot a 10x maybe someday but the best is a 9x target that was a 90 Yes a miss because I was so nervous also a 99.

I even like the lsp over my 2 volquartsen, but just by a small fraction.

Make sure you pull the magazines apart and keep them clean as they will get gritty and dirty.
Very good scores. I find I can shoot some really good scores when practicing at the local indoor range, but very difficult to do it at a match under more competitive conditions, outdoors, etc. Reminds me of ehrn I used to golf, the one birdie would keep me coming back again and again:D

I have two Volquartsons, and although I like them OK they are far from my favorites. I rarely shoot them. For me, it is the weight/balance somehow, plus the triggers (which are good, bit not as good as several of my others).

Only issue I have with the HS is reliability with the magazines. I am finding all of them will feed perfect with 5 rounds, but become a bit inconsistent with 10:confused: I think I would be afraid to use it at a match at this point?

#9 ·
I recently set up my Victor for matches. We shoot weekly indoors, 900 at 25 yds. I looked at the LSP and the CPC replacement barrels but ended up keeping the factory barrel and replacing the rib and iron sights with an optics ready aluminum rib from Marvel Custom Guns. Mounted an Ultradot Matchdot (4 dot sizes), I'm very happy with it. Just practice so far, have not shot a match with it. The factory barrel is crazy accurate, one hole groups off a rest. I had another Victor with a steel rib, too heavy for me. The aluminum rib is just right.

#11 ·
I recently set up my Victor for matches. We shoot weekly indoors, 900 at 25 yds.
Are the 900 matches the standard 3 courses of fire, slow, timed and rapid?

3 guns, 300 each (i.e. rimfire, center fire, and 45) or all rimfire? I really wish my local range would hold bullseye matches, there is a super club which holds monthly outdoor matches on Sundays, though, 50 yards and 25 yards, usually 2 gun...RF and CF.

#12 ·
The 900 match is 30 shots slow fire, 30 timed and 30 rapid. Do it again with "any centerfire" and again with a .45 and you have a 2700 match. The traditional NRA 2700 match mixes in 25 yard and 50 yard strings of fire, I don't remember the exact sequence. We shoot just the .22 900 match indoors.
It can be a challenge to find a place that holds traditional Bullseye matches, the action pistol games are much more popular. We just got a small group together and asked our local indoor range if their was a regular time that we could hold matches. Weekday evenings have worked out well, we hold our matches alongside whomever else happens to be there blasting away with there hi-cap plastic pistols (sorry, my prejudices are showing) but often have the place to ourselves. It's all very informal and a ton of fun. I think a good bullseye pistol shooter is a good shooter period. The level of difficulty is high and you absolutely must have the fundamentals down, stance, breathing, trigger. It's addictive.

#13 ·
I agree, it is a tough issue to find locations for matches and someone to coordinate it. Plus, to be NRA Official, there need to be turning targets, which many ranges/clubs do not have (making it Official is definitely not a requirement for fun though).

The local club I shoot with usually has a monthly "1200" which is two courses of fire with a 22 and then center fire. The courses of fire are exactly as you describe, so 60 shots, or 600 points with a 22, then another two courses of fire using center fire pistols (most of the guys use a 45 for CF, I use a 32long on my GSP Expert so I can use the same gun for RF and CF).

I've only shot a full 2700 a couple times, takes most of a day, but is really a "blast".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.