Considering Anschutz - older bench rifle vs. newer 1710 HB - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)

Doug: That is a whole 'nother level of enabling! It has been a really useful exchange for me. There are guys here who have forgotten more about shooting than I will probably ever learn! That "conversation around the wood stove" is just something that is difficult to come by in my neck of the woods. Showing up at my club, sometimes you can talk with experienced shooters. But it is across a range of disciplines and there really isn't a "benchrest" group of shooters there. So you folks really have helped here, and it wasn't an easy decision.

But you have to start somewhere. The other thing about this purchase: I don't (or don't yet) compete as a shooter (well, once a year in a CMP sporter match (sling allowed from most positions, but otherwise unsupported) . . . actually like the UL with open sights for that . . .). For me, the 1710 HB really seemed like a "no regrets" sort of purchase, assuming the rifle performs like the majority that I have read about on RFC. I went with all blued steel and the two-stage trigger. Really wanted to try something a little different. The folks at Champion's Choice treated me well . . . even pledged to work something out on the back end if I wind up hating the two-stage trigger. Great guys.

I don't kid myself: once bitten by the bug, it is hard to say that the next step "up the ladder" (to stick with that helpful metaphor) to a rifle like the one TBR was talking about won't come in a year. Your collective job is to remind me that it is also nice to eat in retirement (when it comes) and to get the good out of the 1710 before taking that next step. You know, not for nothing, but Euro-optic has Anschutz centerfire sporters in .222. And I thought I just about wore out my salivary glands on this thread. Dang.
Old Today, 09:07 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
The 1710 will be much more versatile, and going with the two-stage definitely sets it apart from the vast majority of 1710s out there...and probably would make it more desirable for many buyers, if you end up going another direction in the future. Honestly, with .22 rimfires, I have many sporters that will out shoot plenty of target rifles, so the difference in pure mechanical accuracy is probably not as great as one might think. On the other hand, there will always be the "What if..." it had the 5018 trigger, or a more rigid action, or a stock that rides the bags better, or a tuner, or a heavier barrel?...all the things we hope will give us those bug hole groups every time.

In any event, good choice.

TBR
Old Today, 11:21 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Due to arrive Monday . . .gonna be a long weekend. Luckily, this Saturday is my club's CMP rimfire sporter shoot. Last year I took first in class because I showed up with my 455 Ultra Lux and I was the only shooter with open sights. So: placed first, second, and last all at once. This year? Maybe someone will show up with an open sight rifle who can actually keep them in the center ring shooting off-hand. Should keep me preoccupied a bit.

Old Today, 11:38 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
Due to arrive Monday . . .gonna be a long weekend. Luckily, this Saturday is my club's CMP rimfire sporter shoot. Last year I took first in class because I showed up with my 455 Ultra Lux and I was the only shooter with open sights. So: placed first, second, and last all at once. This year? Maybe someone will show up with an open sight rifle who can actually keep them in the center ring shooting off-hand. Should keep me preoccupied a bit.
Nothing like waiting on that new gun to arrive

I see you decided on the two stage. You'll like it. Stick a lighter spring in it if you want to go a little lower on pull weight. Very easy trigger to adjust as it comes. Just follow the manual or DVD.

Good luck with your new gun. Of course, you know pictures are required...

I think you're going to be very pleased with your choice. Have fun and enjoy.

Kenny

Edit: Now that you're a member of the "gang", there's no excuse not to be able to shoot one hole groups all day long in heavy winds at 100 yards using bulk ammo. Of course you always do your part. You dominated the last match! First, second and third! That's hard to do! JK

Last edited by kseatm; Today at 11:40 AM.