Anyone having accuracy problems? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:39 AM
noremf
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-target View Post
George, I bought a Creedmore tang sight similar to yours, but I haven't fitted it yet. The thing that bothers me is the thought that it will interfere with the right hand grip on the wrist of the rifle.

Have you found any problems with using a tang sight, or am I worrying about nothing?
See other post about that.

I have a PDF file on how to temporarily fit the sight and actually shoot it without any permanent alterations to it or the rifle.

If you want it, then PM me with your email address and I can send it to you.

noremf(George)
Old 02-20-2017, 10:34 AM
bmwclay
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Poor Accuracy on Henry

First of all, did you correctly clean the barrel of all grease etc? Secondly, forget the fancy Creedmore tang sight stuff, This a walking rifle, not a 1000 yd, Sharps. Get yourself a nice Williams peep sight and throw away the aperture screw. Find the best target ammo for squirrels and then find some high performance stuff for anything bigger. Get ready for years of great times.
No charge.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:16 PM
snapbean
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwclay View Post
First of all, did you correctly clean the barrel of all grease etc? Secondly, forget the fancy Creedmore tang sight stuff, This a walking rifle, not a 1000 yd, Sharps. Get yourself a nice Williams peep sight and throw away the aperture screw. Find the best target ammo for squirrels and then find some high performance stuff for anything bigger. Get ready for years of great times.
No charge.
Yep, it's clean and I have a Skinner peep, barrel mounted. I love peep sights because even with my old eyes they work pretty well for me. And yeah, squirrels are what I like to shoot, not so much target and bench shooting. I was just trying to get it sighted in, albeit without the proper amount of time it may take. I was just surprised that my groups weren't a little tighter. As soon as I get some time, I'm going to get it sorted out... recently any free time I got I used to go squirrel hunt. Now that our season is over, I can start playing with my Henry!

Old 03-01-2017, 04:36 PM
snapbean

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snagglepuss View Post
Snap, I may have missed it but I haven't seen how you're shooting...offhand or benched off of bags.
I'm getting 3-4" groups at 50m offhand with the stock sights (H001).
Of of a bag it's more like 1.5 to 2".
I too have a Marbles Tang sight on order and am hoping that improves things a bit.
So I'd say that if you groups are offhand it's okay...if it's shooting 4" off the bench I think I'd be checking your crown and such.
Snagglepuss - Sorry, I haven't checked this thread in a while. I mentioned earlier I've been extremely busy work wise lately and because of that life sucks at the moment, the only upside being I can afford my miserable life right now!

The answer to your question is that I was not really shooting offhand, but not really shooting from a bench rest either, more like resting my elbow on a shaky pallet on two saw horses! We've got an excellent range I use in my area and one day soon I'm going to bring it out there with several different types of ammo and get it dialed in a little better. We have a spring squirrel season in a couple of months and my goal is to have it shootin' for that!
Old 03-01-2017, 06:20 PM
shirtz1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jumping in late on this topic. But on the dark side of my seventies, I long ago gave up trusting my eyes. All my long guns have scopes on them. With cataract surgery on one eye so far, my ability to see the target is immensly better than without a scope. For my H001, I hated to give up the tradional look of this little beauty, but found a CHEAP Tasco 3X7 (less than $20 at wally world) that is very tubular, without giant bells on each end, that works just fine. 1MOA at 100 yds? I don't think so.
But I have had to start a food fund for local squirell children that lost mom or dad. For that price, you might look into one.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:58 PM
snapbean

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirtz1 View Post
Jumping in late on this topic. But on the dark side of my seventies, I long ago gave up trusting my eyes. All my long guns have scopes on them. With cataract surgery on one eye so far, my ability to see the target is immensly better than without a scope. For my H001, I hated to give up the tradional look of this little beauty, but found a CHEAP Tasco 3X7 (less than $20 at wally world) that is very tubular, without giant bells on each end, that works just fine. 1MOA at 100 yds? I don't think so.
But I have had to start a food fund for local squirell children that lost mom or dad. For that price, you might look into one.
Shirtz, that may be the ticket because like you, my eyes ain't what they used to be and almost everything I have also is scoped. I just really like the size and feel of the Henry like it is, which would be nice carrying in the woods. As it is, the older I get the more crap I carry with me! I'll look into that, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:24 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapbean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirtz1 View Post
Shirtz, that may be the ticket because like you, my eyes ain't what they used to be and almost everything I have also is scoped. I just really like the size and feel of the Henry like it is, which would be nice carrying in the woods. As it is, the older I get the more crap I carry with me! I'll look into that, thanks for the suggestion.

Have you considered installing a small red dot sight? It will certainly help you where your sight is concerned as opposed to iron sights. And it won't add any bulk or really change the look of the rifle.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:37 AM
BWstickman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not a pIcture one of a group... That would tell me something...

I own a Henry 44 mag and it shoots great... 100 yards 2" groups consistently...

I would love to have a Henry 22 but I know there not made for accuracy... Not the kind of accuracy I'm looking for... Quarter size groups at 50 yards are basically a minimum for me... Most of my 22 will shoot 5 shot groups you can cover with a dime... So Henry is kind of out of the question...

Be nice if Henry would come out with a squirrel Hunter rifle with some cool engraving and some kind of accuracy guarantee

Last edited by BWstickman; 03-04-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:34 AM
blue72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had the same issue with my Henry...I was very frustrated with it shooting 4 inch groups at 50 yards. I played with various sights until I got the right combination to get 1 inch groups with bulk ammo. My set up is in this link

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...665&highlight=

image.jpeg
Old 04-06-2017, 01:29 AM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
I have the basic H001 Classic model, and I have struggled mightily with the question of "how accurate is my rifle?"

I can tell you a few things from four years of shooting my rifle a lot:

1. I have been able to shoot small animals in the head with it at "practical" distances. So, it's definitely more than good enough for rabbit and squirrel hunting and plinking.

2. It's definitely not a good benchrest shooter. Try to shoot groups with it at any distance and you are likely to quickly become frustrated.

3. It has a "deceptively bad" trigger. Huh? Say what? Well, try the trigger on a Henry, and you're likely to say, "hmmm, that's not bad at all." And it's probably not. But couple it with a slim and slender lightweight carbine, and you soon find out it's hard to hold the Henry still enough to shoot it really precisely.

Conclusion: you are best off using a Henry .22 lever gun for the things guns like that were originally designed to do- small game hunting, and plinking.

If you want to try to wring benchrest accuracy out of it, you'd best be approaching it as a hobby, or a challenge. It's kinda like the numerous threads at a Ruger forums where people complain that their Mini-14 Ranch Rifle is not shooting sub-MOA at the bench. A Mini-14 is really good at it's intended purpose, which is not to be a target rifle. There's nothing wrong with shooting a Mini-14 at the bench and trying to wring more accuracy out of it. But at the end of the day, it's still a "ranch rifle."
I believe the trigger causes me problems. Don't know if mine is worse than most, though............
Old 04-06-2017, 12:00 PM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry88 View Post
I believe the trigger causes me problems. Don't know if mine is worse than most, though............
Must be (worse than most)...the Henry's are known for having pretty sweet triggers out of the box.
I have some nicely adjusted triggers in my centerfires that are no better than my Henry.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:46 PM
blue72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snagglepuss View Post
Must be (worse than most)...the Henry's are known for having pretty sweet triggers out of the box.
I have some nicely adjusted triggers in my centerfires that are no better than my Henry.

I agree, I just measured mine and it pulls slightly less then 2 pound!!!
Old 04-07-2017, 12:55 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyScout View Post
I have seen a lot of complaints on Henry 22 rifle sights. Much of the time it is the sights which are the problem. I replaced both sights on a my 22mag several years ago and have excellent results ever since.
What did you replace them with? I've decided to leave my H001T "as is" with the iron sights, after drifting them to get a more-or-less centered group at 25 yards. I use the iron sights to keep me humble, and remind me my eyes aren't getter any better. That said, I'm not averse to a sight swap either, hence my question.