Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperStock 22's

65K views 315 replies 39 participants last post by  Vincent 
#1 ·
As many of you know I, among others, have been pushing for a new class of 10/22. Many of our members have built "ultimates" over the years to the point of it being almost boring. No offense meant here but as I saw posted recently " anybody with an allan wrench, a screwdriver and a soft hammer can build and Ultimate" and while that may be over simplified it is somewhat true. And what do you get? A somewhat impractical, heavy, accurate semi auto with a stock that looks like the loser in an old fashion taffy pull. So lets answer a few questions first the most obvious being:

Why SuperStock?
1. A number of reasons, First I saw too many really neat old walnut stocked, metal butt plated vintage 10/22's being torn apart to build an Ultimate, If you insist on building these (and there is NOTHING wrong with building one) PLEASE don't use cool old vintage guns to do it.

2. I'm not sure how much you learn bolting together an Ultimate. You will learn much more about what makes a rifle shoot well by building a SuperStock. Alot of what you are given in a "Kit" gun you will need to figure out in a SuperStock.

3. Cost. I am disabled and money is short. I would guess there are a number of folks here that don't have an over abundance of money. When you build an SuperStock it is very easy to spend $10 here and $25 there instead of having to come up with larger chunks of money at a time (Stock $$$$, Barrel$$$$) Now I'm sure that some of you will invent ways to spend just as much on your SuperStock as any Ultimate BUT you don't HAVE to and you can do it in smaller chunks. Many things on a SuperStock will be practically free if you are handy at all and even those among you that are NOT that handy we have a number of folks like sawdust and Skeeter and others (even myself :D :bonk: :D ) That will be MORE than willing to share their knowledge.

4A. Rules.........not many. I'm not sure we even WANT this to be a competitive class although that is open for discussion. One thing that if I am going to be part of the leadership on this that I am going to INSIST on is that ALL RFC rules are followed in the posting and that we treat each other like ladies and gentlemen. We will NOT get into name calling and bickering if we disagree. The panic button ! will get pushed if you get nasty.

4B. Rules.... What is a SuperStock? What rules do we need. Obviously if it is a Competitive RFC Email Class than more strict rules may be needed. But most of us will be building a very practical squirrel gun, Rabbit blaster, paper puncher or plinker deluxe. Lets keep this fun with as few rules as is possible.....but that is just MY opinion. What is yours? What do you think? Where do YOU want this to go?

5. The guns. What do you think? I think if it started life as a 10/22 it is in. Carbine, Rifle, Compact, All weather, Wally World Special.....who cares? Here's a thought....how about our brothers and sisters with Marlin 60,70, 75 are they in? Can they play the SuperStock game? WHY NOT? Or just Rugers? SuperStock? Why not? I personally see NO reason the make this a one gun class. Do you? If so, why?

6. Do we need a forum for this? Some of you are already pushing hard to have a place for our NEW CLASS. What does SUPPORT and ADMIN think? would it be a burden on them. Can somebody help them with that end. I have free time and if needed could help with this forum to get it off the ground and maintained.

I hope you have noticed that for the most part I have NOT said "This how it will be" because this is NOT mine....IT is OURS. Lets do something fun, not controversial, together. Let's infest it with all the GOOD things that RFC is. Let's help each other build a fun bunch of cool little rifles and have great time doing it. Let's not forget our Sponsors either. They help us keep RFC going so let's get them involved. Okay.....there it is...........

EDIT: Change name from SuperStock 10/22 to SuperStock to better reflect the emphasis of this thread.
SuperStock

See less See more
#303 ·
Vincent

I made the mistake of assuming that the SuperStock concept had been settled before starting the 1/4" Club. So, the only "rules" that I made up for the Club pertained to the shooting, measuring and posting of the targets. I was wrong. The first post didn't even come close to what I thought the SuperStock concept was and then I made another mistake by saying so.

I will not make up a set of rules or specifications for SuperStock. I think that you did an excellent job of developing the concept and I think that I am not the only one that agrees with you. What is so difficult about this? If you want to know my thoughts just look at my post, the first one in SuperStock 25 Yd Quarter Inch Club. I built what I think fits the spirit of SuperStock.

sawdust

#305 ·
Vincent said:
I'm beginning to wonder why anyone would want to do anything in RFC because as soon as you do there will be 10 people standing inline to critize but would NEVER get up actually do something good on their own. You want be a positive influence here? Great. If not why not just just let the people that ARE doing something do it instead of constantly WHINING. ASK GMC Fixer or Sawdust how fun it is to get out front and actually try to do something. It is NOT fun. SCREW IT!!!
Believe me, I know how you feel. Remember when I posted my experiments on shooting clean vs. dirty barrels? It turned into a nine-page fistfight, mostly by people who had never tried it. As I recall, you were my friend at that time, which is why I stayed out of this until someone brought me up almost by name.

#306 ·
Vincent said:
I have repeatedly given what I think is it and the majority of people already ih or coming in agreed to it.

Barrels are open to any barrel that is stock, machined stock or after market sporter profile. I gave my word on that and will not back away from it.

Stocks are either factory stock or "trimmed" factory stock.

Inside the rifle you can replace/work on all parts in the receiver. You can tune factory parts like wht I did 30 years ago on mine or you can get Power, VQ, Skeeter parts. go for it

Those have pretty much been my "guidlines" from the start. like it or not.
Sounds fair to me, and not to keep flogging a dead horse but there is nothing about my R22 that's outside those guidelines. And I've seen posts about no "thumbhole stocks" and no "taffy pull stocks" and my gun has neither. You want "no pistol grip stocks," just say so and I'm out--it's just as clear as that.

#307 ·
Chromie said:
I didn't agree at first but, after giving this alot of thought, I kinda wondered, if its ok for Snake to post his pic. of his groups here, then why cant he be included in everything else?
Just to clarify, I have NOT posted pics of R22 groups. The pic I posted was of groups shot with my homebuilt Anschutz 64 "sporter," which I was told WAS in the spirit of SS.

Now I see in the last couple pages on this thread that only semiautos and maybe one type of lever action are to be considered for SS. To quote Barbario, "I'm so confused...." :confused:

#308 ·
Snake45 said:
Sounds fair to me, and not to keep flogging a dead horse but there is nothing about my R22 that's outside those guidelines. And I've seen posts about no "thumbhole stocks" and no "taffy pull stocks" and my gun has neither. You want "no pistol grip stocks," just say so and I'm out--it's just as clear as that.
Snake

the R22 is not and will not ever be a super stock....while I myself like the rifle it is in no way a classic looking hunting rifle which is what the standard building block for a superstock that was agreed upon in the begining.....the key here is "classic looking hunting rifle".while it may fall into all the other guidelines this is the one that has people in an uproar so to speak.

I know the pics. you posted were from the 64 but it was agreed that it was ok for you to post the others as well, which is what I was talking about....I don't and won't think the R22 is a superstock but I don't know where it fits in around here.

Chromie

#311 ·
In the spirit of gentlemanliness, I thank you for the clarification on your ideal arrangement of participants. However, I must conceed that this does not seem like something I am interested in. I mean no disprespect, and I am not bringing down the new forum, but this does not sound challenging nor exciting; it doesn't sound like it's for me. I wanted to see modified stock machinery... the far extreme to my, and others', ultimates.

#312 · (Edited)
I never realized RFC was so full of lawyers and politicians.

I thought we were people who enjoyed shooting.

SuperStock - Stock looking, yet functions substantially better than stock.

i.e. when you pick up my stock looking gun and fire it for the first time you will quickly realize it is anything but stock. This can be accomplished via trigger mods, bolt mods, bedding, etc. If your gun functions better than a stock gun, while maintaining stock the look then you are in.

Example: A 1/2 MOA Annie un touched is not a super stock, it performs that way from the factory.
Example: A 1 MOA 10/22 is in because from the factory it won't shoot 1 MOA.

#313 ·
MinusB said:
In the spirit of gentlemanliness, I thank you for the clarification on your ideal arrangement of participants. However, I must conceed that this does not seem like something I am interested in. I mean no disprespect, and I am not bringing down the new forum, but this does not sound challenging nor exciting; it doesn't sound like it's for me. I wanted to see modified stock machinery... the far extreme to my, and others', ultimates.
It IS modified stock machinery:shakehead My gun looks dead stock....for now. But whe I put it back together. The stock will refinished, the STOCK barrel will be set back rechambered to a match chamber. The crown will be recut. The ony not original parts on it will be a trigger, not the group but the blade. It will have a piece or five or 5 inside the workings. The average person picking up my gun will not know it from stock . But it should shoot under a half inch at 50 yards.

#315 ·
Snake45 said:
Well, my Annie looks about as much like a "classic looking hunting rifle" as any .22 can, I guess....:D
No offense but why are still tweaking everyones noses 3 or 4 days later about the R-22. For about the forth time it is NOT a sporter by design. If you want to post the gun than go, right freaking now. I can't stop you. I do believe you are starting to loose respect around for the way you have carried on about it. You have just as much to say about it as I do. Go start a thread and say "Here is my SuperStock" If that is what it takes to make you happy DO IT. And then watch the respect level and see where it goes. That a tactical looking gun Not a sporter looking gun And suspectyou've known that from the start.

Man, I have had enough of this crap for a day a week or what ever. A few of us worked to get this done and now people that did not help at all are doing there best to tear it apart. Why should I have take so much crap? This for all of you. Do what ever the hell you want. I getting more to the point that it is just not worth opening the Forum any longer. I've had it and I sure hope you guys had fun whining a good idea to DEATH. But that is what whiners do I guess

Edit: 3-1-07 Ten months have gone by and SuperStock is a screaming success!! The Naysayers are gone for the most part. Some good folks still have questions, that's great. Thanks to all the people that made SuperStock everthing I thought it could be. Thank you ALL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.