Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Cleaning your Mk III

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  JStacy 
#1 ·
Guys,

What type of cleaner and oil do you use cleaning your Mk III? I've read that people use brake cleaners and carb cleaners to clean their guns because they are so much cheaper. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mel

#2 · (Edited)
I think as long as you clean and lube it, it doesn't much matter what you use.

From what I've read, carb cleaner can be pretty harsh, brake cleaner less so, but still may affect wood/plastic finish. Also, cleaning with either may leave metal without a protective thin coat of oil, making it more susceptible to rust if some sort of gun oil isn't reapplied. I've got both brake cleaner and carb cleaner to experiment with on some old crudded up rifles, but stick with gun specific stuff for my newer ones.

#3 · (Edited)
Agree. Most that use this stuff, brake or carb cleaner, use it to flush out the frame after many many rounds down the pipe or once a season to really get all the dirt/grit/powder, etc., out of the nooks and cranies. For regular cleaning/lubing you have your choice of dozens of products that more or less do the same job. Oh yeah, there are just as many threads/posts on this subject in here as there are different cleaners/oils. :D

#5 ·
Brake cleaner works... and so does about 27 others products that get mentioned here. Just pick one that works well or smells good for you. Many claim theirs is the best. But, that is mostly subjective. I have tried many and almost every one works acceptably. Take your pick.

#6 ·
Not to complicate things but (IMO) it depends on what type "cleaning" you are doing. A complete bath-type clean :D usually requires a solvent as mentioned above (brake cleaner, etc.) but for an after-shooting field strip and clean, I use EEZOX. (Available from SGW Gunsmith) It cleans (like a terror!) lubes with a dry film (no oily residue) and protects from rust.

In fact, EEZOX has been shown to be one of the best anti-corrosives you can use. AND .... it dries 'dry' so no wet(ish) areas after it dries. It leaves my barrels amazingly clean and SHINY (!!!) and protects from dirt, carbon, etc. sticking/buildup.

A tiny bit goes a looooooong way. A 6oz (???) can lasts me a year or more and I use it on ALL my firearms. I like it and it's not that costly. Recommended. :bthumb:

#7 ·
:yeahthat: A few of the folks around RFC have converted me to EEZOX, to the point it's what I use and sell the most of, especially at gun shows. We have one coming up this weekend at the Spooner High School gymnasium where a lot of folks will be converted. Seems we have AR 10 & 15 platform assemblers all over the map up here and many of these people have now gone to EEZOX exclusively.

My main interest involves .22 rimfire guns for the last 20, or so, years, for my recreational shooting. Virtually, all, of my .22 rimfire bores have been treated with EEZOX.
While brake cleaner is indeed a very good cleaning solvent, it's too dang good in a rimfire bore, so I wouldn't recommend it to be squirted down rimfire bores. Whatever conditioning you've done to that bore will be washed away with that solvent, along with a great deal of your accuracy. It will take up some time to get that particular bore back to the way you had it so, at least consider leaving the "brake cleaner" for cleaning the gunk and crapola out of the receiver and magazines, and out of the bore.

#8 ·
Remington Action Cleaner. BEST flush out I've ever used. Sure, brake cleaner may be a little cheaper, but you use WAY LESS with the Rem Action Cleaner and it does a BETTER job faster.

Working parts get a light coat of Breakfree CLP, inner frame gets a light spray of Rem-Oil and wiped back off.

Mine never fails and remains clean

DR

#9 ·
when mine get relatively dirty and I don't want to take them apart I spray WD40 in the action and scrub with a tooth brush or a wad of tissue (paper towel) with a hemostat, called other things in the 60-70's). After everything is loosened up I spray it with brake and parts cleaner, non chlorinated, and allow it to dry a few minutes then I re lube with Royal Purple synthetic gun oil. Works for me .
Ezox is good also and use that when I do a total stripping of upper and lower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.