Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Got a my First Ruger Mark Pistol on the way

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Edward78 
#1 ·
I have been wanting one for so long, I have a S&W 22a that I bought 20 years ago and a bunch of 10/22's and other rimfires rifles but have always put another 22lr pistol on the back burner, now the wait is over. I have a Ruger Mark III Competition Target 7" SlabSide Stainless Steel on the way. I have already ordered the LCI eliminator and the Hammer bushing to get rid of the Mag Disconnect, just have to wait for it to arive then wait for the Maryland paperwork to go through :(

Edward

#2 ·
You picked one of the "BEST" Mark III versions that are still available. And, you're on the right track with the hammer bushing.
My recommendation is, once you get your new pistol, exercise those springs by shooting several hundred rounds of high velo .22 rimfire, like CCI Mini-Mags. That process will allow the springs to reach their final, working set, or length. There is NO specific number of rounds that will get you there, so if anyone suggests that there is, they're blowin' smoke.
Once you get that pistol to where the springs are ready, then you will be able to shoot standard velo .22 rimfire just as well as any of the high velo stuff. Then, after you get the feel for your pistol, you will be able to see what aspects you like, or don't like with your new pistol. Many options are available to provide better extraction, adjustable triggers for pre and over-travel and grips that may fit your hand much better.

Good Luck with your new pistol.

#3 ·
You will like it I am sure. The 22A was/is a fine pistol. Most were VERY accurate. Field break down was easy and quick. Pretty light to pack around all day. The MK3 will be as accurate or at least on the same level of play. The stripping is more involved but not crippling by any means. Accessories ABOUND which is not the case in the 22A. The Ruger is quite a bit more rugged IME and the finish doesn't peel off. LOL They are my two favorite pistols to shoot.

#4 ·
Congratulations on the Competition Model. I too have the Mark III Competition. What a shooter it is. I have the LCI delete and all Volquartsen internals to include the adjustable trigger. Very crisp and short trigger pull.

The way I got mine was I ordered the Mark IV Hunter and while I was waiting I decided to go ahead and buy the Competition Mark III that they had new on the shelf. I did have to send it back to Ruger for a rear sight problem, but Ruger quickly fixed the problem and got it back. After fixing the pistol the way IU wanted it. I figured did not need the Mark IV anymore. Can't be any nicer than the Competition model that I have now. So I cancelled the order.

Keep us informed on how you like it.

#5 ·
I was considering the Mark IV, I am sure its a fine pistol but its been redesigned to be easier to take down but that dosn't mean its a better shooting pistol, so I went with the III. Time will tell on the IV but I wanted the proven Mark III instead

Edward

#6 ·
I was considering the Mark IV, I am sure its a fine pistol but its been redesigned to be easier to take down but that dosn't mean its a better shooting pistol, so I went with the III. Time will tell on the IV but I wanted the proven Mark III instead

Edward
Which Mark III version are you getting? Let us know if you get an optics base with your NEW pistol. I'm sure you will, as Ruger was including a base with ALL of the Mark III pistols factory drilled and tapped, and I'd just like to see if one person has been "blowin' smoke" around here.

#8 ·
I don't know but I got the Base with my Mark III Competition model as I am sure the OP will also.
I never had a Ruger Mark III, drilled and tapped from the factory arrive without an optics base............never. Now, if the receiver was not drilled and tapped, it would be rather silly to expect a base to be included with the pistol, and I've been getting that version in my shop (NEW) since they came out in the early 2000's. ;)

#16 ·
Installed my VQ sear, TK Hammer Bushing and TK LCI delete today. Was a little tricky breaking down and reassembling a Ruger Mark series pistol for the first time but dam is it nice now with the sear installed and the mag disconect and LCI removed, trigger pulls at 2.75lbs :). went to the range and shot about 400 rounds of ammo through it, CCI mini mags, CCI SV, Federal Auto Match and not one failer of any sort and every round went bang. I'm very happy with my Mark III and plan to hit the range again tomorrow

Edward

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.