Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New Mk III 4" stainless

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  J.Price 
#1 ·
Why? Because I like it, and it's different. These were sold thru 1 distributor. There is a man in Az who has 11 new ones left.

I like the balance and natural pointing of the 4" best of all.

It came in a cardboard box, cheap lock, one safety key, but the gun and mags are top rate. The receiver is tapped and plugged for scope mount. Ruger seems to cut cost a little for the distributor specials.

I had a few nose dives on the first outing, but that was with hollow point ammo. I have found that my SS guns seemed to need a longer break in, but they do eventually settle in to be very reliable. I would expect this to be the same. By comparison my blue guns shoot 100% from new. Maybe the feed ramp has a different finish due to metal difference? Maybe just luck of the draw. If I smack the mag to raise the nose of the first round, and carefully insert, I can avoid the nose dive. I have broken in Mks that almost never have a fail to feed. The nose dives occurred with mags that are already "tuned" and used. I didn't take the new ones that came with this gun to the range. I loaded them up, and let them sit for a week before I attempt to use them. I don't know if that helps, but one mag supplier sent a notice with their product advising this. I don't think it can't hurt.

Rich

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Picked up a gently used Mark III last month from a guy who didn't like disassembling it.
It's not disassembly that's the problem, it's re-assembly where it gets tricky.
Recently sold my MK II Comp. target (ss slabside) which I really liked and bought a new MK IV Hunter just for that reason.
I always managed to get it back together, but the hassle of inserting/removing the magazine was so maddening, along with holding it upside down while standing on your head... not for me, and many others. There will probably be lots of MK II and III's on the lgs shelves, if not there already.

#6 ·
Nice looking pistol! Congrats! i really want one just like that. I like the look plus my wife can't handle the heavy barrel on my Mark III target. They just sold one on gunauction.com in excellent shape. It went for $280. I wanted to buy it so bad but I just bought a gun last week so no go. Good luck!!

#7 ·
Thanks for the kind words. No, I don't think there is an abundance of mkIII's at the LGS.
This guy bought a close out, so he has a few. Other places have one here and there. If you buy a mag disco bushing, the Ruger secret handshake gets easier.

Is the MKIII or earlier the easiest to assemble? No? Is it the hardest? I don't know? Does anyone know of a harder pistol to take down/ put together?

I find no issue assembling mine. I prefer the pre Mk IV models due to the frame.

Anyway, thanks for looking

Rich

#11 ·
follow up and big thanks!!!

First, I want to publicly thank and give a shout out of thanks to J.Price for being an all around good guy, and a real help to our members!!!
The sight you sent me is for a similar gun, but in blue!!! Thank you again!! I did send off to St. Jude.

I bought this one because it was stainless!!! I bought a block of wood from Cosineau ( one of our sponsors) in the Americana theme, and will try my hand at making some custom Red White and Blue grips. What's more American than a Mk pistol? I know many will say 1911, which I will make grips for that too ( assuming I can figure it out).

Anyway, as an update, recently, I went to the range, and used nothing but round point ammo of various grades. It was all however High Velocity. The new SS 4" ran very well. I had only 1 Fail to Eject ( when the chamber was getting gritty). I ran a bore snake thru, and ran another 100 rounds or so without issue.

I have another Ruger, that when new was very finicky about what I fed it. It would only be reliable with RNHV ammo. Now it eats most everything. Standard Velocity, Hollow points, cheap bulk, whatever!!

Based on the improvements in a short time, I expect the same from this one. I do believe the pre MkIV pistols, at around 300 or so are a terrific value. No they are not unique, but based on their accuracy, quality, and terrific engineering, they are hard to beat. Heck, you can easily pay more for a 22 conversion kit!!!

Anyway, if anyone has any tips or pointers for my first attempt at making grips, please don't be shy with the info, I am all ears!!!

Thank you

Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.