Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedish Mark III Thread

22K views 83 replies 12 participants last post by  Tacoma 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Some time ago i bought my first pistols two walthers PP one in 22 and 32 acp both are german made not french, i use them for competition in a class called field snubby(sweden). But i cannot shoot precision with these its way to hard...

Im thinkin off buying a bullseye pistol(bullseye in sweden is at 30yards) Precision shooting. Im thinking off getting a ruger mk3 with a rink grips. The problem is that i have never handled one off these guns and i dont know how much work you need to put on it for me to have a chance. I know the trigger is really bad. I have a ruger 10/22 wich i really like but the original factory barrel and trigger.....maybe is not match grade so to speak.

What about the ruger pistols ? what can you expect off it, and i mean with ironsights at 30 yards. Ammo is not a problem here, i can buy norma, cci, blazer, lapua, SK(whole sortiment) fiochi,eley and some other crappy brands.

I really like american weapons so i would really like to give this pistol a chance, people here use fwb aw 93 ALOT! at one competion wich i attended there was 340 ppl competing and 80% off them was using fwb aw 93... i saw 2 rugers..:D:D:D

So please you guys out there that been using this gun for precision shooting ..help!

See less See more
#44 ·
Are the same restrictions applied to the state of New york?

I cant see why ruger use a LCI when a LCI is supposed to be imprinted in your spine after your first gun. By that i mean you always have to consider a weapon loaded and if you are not sure just open the bolt and check again... Are people that lazy, that they don't want to open and check twice ? Funny.

#45 ·
...I cant see why ruger use a LCI when a LCI is supposed to be imprinted in your spine after your first gun. By that i mean you always have to consider a weapon loaded and if you are not sure just open the bolt and check again... Are people that lazy, that they don't want to open and check twice ? Funny.
Well yeah, I guess I am. My MKIII's have never failed to fire or reload the next round without problem of course. Never will. But when I'm shooting in a match and for some reason I'm suspicious that all will not be well with the next shot, it's far easier and less disruptive to tilt the gun slightly and look at the LCI than to bring it down far enough to see a stovepipe. Retracting the bolt is out of the question if speed or concentration is important.

I agree that we should all know how to make a gun safe but if you take your opinion to its logical conclusion, there is no reason to have safeties on guns either. And Ruger isn't the only manufacturer to have a way to check for a round in the chamber without opening it. I have pistols from Glock and S&W with some form of LCI, and there are others.

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#46 · (Edited)
In the kind of competition that i'm in if your gun fails two times then you are out, better luck next time.

And i did not meant you when i wrote that stuff above, sorry if hurt your feelings you seem to be a good man. What i meant was that this LCI is actually causing jams instead of helping anything, that's what i have been reading and this is why aftermarket fillers came out to eliminate this problem. FTF, FTE can be caused by other things to like magazines or bad ammunition. If this thing is so great to have why do so many people remove it ?

And no i don't need a safety, my safety is in my brain, when i go out and shoot im fully concentrated on my shooting and nothing else. When i'm done with that and i want to talk to my friends or take a cup of coffee i remove the magazine put it in my pocket check the chamber is empty. And put the gun without a magazine it in my holster.

My walther pp has a really clever loaded chamber indicator i will show it here if noone has seen it before. Ruger should have the same, but that would just cause confusion for the politrickians :p

#54 ·
A little upgrade...

On monday i will pick up my mark 3 with rink grip. I am really exited for this pistol.
I was at the store a couple of days ago and tried it out. Did not like the factory sights. But they work, they where made really good and robust the finish was really nice. But they did not fit me. So what i have done is order a pair of kensight both rear and front.

I have also bought a new hammer bushing(volquartsen)
Volquartsen trigger (black)
Volquartsen heavy duty extractor with spring.
Im also going to disable the LCI................(who the h*ll comes up with this kind of s***)and smooth it out a bit, just to make sure it does not bother me....

The rest of the parts im planing to polish and see what result i get out off that. If that does not work out good then i have to try something else.

So more to come..

#58 · (Edited)
To those who care.

Intro

I was out today at the range with my new mark 3. Had like 500 shots thru it, would have been more but i had other stuff to do. The gun is really good, and even though it is cheap it has great potentials to be a good competition weapon. I did some preparations before i headed out to the range. I loctited the sights with blue loctite yesterday and gave the barrel a good clean thru.

The pistol shot really tight groups, but they will be even smaller when i replace the trigger parts.

The trigger:

Man...... when i pulled the trigger first time i though to my self *** is this......
150 shots later it became better, 400 shots later, it became smoother and consistent but a little bit heavy i hit 5 out 5 targets at 25 yards non stop, and that made me optimistic. I shot three different type off ammo today. Norma 2 , sk magazine and CCI blazer. The blazers are the cheapest and shot the best group. I think i will try some cci and see if they go well in my gun. But i think that faster pistol ammo will preform best in this gun.

Reliability:
This pistol is as reliable as a gun can get, i had one stovepipe and that was 1 out off 500 shots... cmon you cant beat that. This made me really respect the gun even more. This was also three types off brands, but my new american woman just shredded thru them without a problem.

The stove pipe was when i started to shoot that was the first 10 rounds and the 9th round stuck between the bolt and frame. After that i just kept shooting and shooting and shooting and then the wife called me and wondered if she should call the police and report me missing....so i had to go home.

Ergonomy

With the rink grips the pistol became even better. The original grips will only be used for recreation purposes . My rink grips mad the gun even even better but you cant go wrong with standard grips either.

The conclusion
I took a look at the crown off the pistol and it had built up a ''star'' wich indicates that the gun has a good crown. That made me appreciate this mark 3 even more, and now i know that its up to me to find the best ammo for it.
The disassembly can be a bit tricky but after watching a couple of vids the disassembly was not a problem for me.
There are still some stuff i need to try out i have only shot 500 rounds thru it. As it is right now this gun is perfect.
I give this gun a 9/10 in a high score, and i'm really happy that i choose this one even though i had plans on a feinwerkbau aw 93 ;)

#60 ·
Thank you buddy!

Im off to the range tomorrow, and i will take some pics :)
Question: Is it safe to shoot with CCI Blazers? they are branded as 1250 fps, im afraid of wearing anything out. But since this gun is really hard to wear out i cant see why not, still i want to ask the pro's..

#62 ·
Im not using the CCI on this gun again even though i don't think it will do any damage to it.

Today was not a good day.

I had tighten the grips to hard and the pin to the hammer had gone inside the frame. It kept jamming and it kept misfeeding also the bolt kept sticking in the back position.
Plus the gun kept clicking.

So these are the symptoms.

The fix: I took the pistol apart popped the pin back in and now its smooth as butter once again.

#63 ·
Is it possible?

The relief cut on the left grip for the head of the hammer pin is too deep and it lets the pin back out of the frame,mine gave me fits as it will do it again miles from home and tools [emoji49] Bought some after market grips and the problem was solved.

#68 · (Edited)
I have the slab side, competition model with a scope mounted. When shooting off a rest on the bench I can consistently place five shots in 1/2 inch, center to center grouping, at 50 yards. I let you do the metric conversion.

When i got my pistol and compared notes with others on this forum, some were doing considerably better than me. I only shot cci mini mag 36gr hp. I am an average at best shooter, not ever fired in competition. I would guess, my 1/2 inch at 50 is to be expected and not better than average.

I have the 10112 model. I never did anything. No trigger, nothing. Just been shooting. The trigger is hard. I am just saying my results are stock out of the box with hunting grade ammo.

http://www.ruger.com/products/markIIICompetition/models.html

#69 ·
Today i took and mounted the rail that came with the gun, and it helps with finding the ironsights fast if you want to do some fast shooting. So that is really good. I have also ordered one of them pistol scopes 2x power. And with the help of this scope i will do a complete test of the accuracy potential of the gun. I will buy some expensive ammos and some cheap. But i'm NOT going to shoot any remington or federals in this gun because they are a complete piece of *****. Lapua, SK, CCI, FIOCHI,Norma, Eley is whats going to be served. The best ammo will be used for competition next year, the second best ammo will be used to practice with so i really hope its a cheap one :) Over all i'm still very pleased with this gun.

#70 ·
That's a beautiful gun and I love those grips. It should do very well for you.

I see several mentions of ammo here. Remember that the speed printed on the box was derived by shooting it in a rifle. AFAIK that's true even with "pistol" ammo. HV .22lr ammo (around 1250 fps) is almost always subsonic when shot from a barrel about 6" long. If it says 1250 on the box you might get 1050-1100. Less with a shorter barrel. Not all types of ammo will lose the same amount of velocity when shot from pistols and not all will have the same consistency. What you're doing (testing) is the only way to be sure of the result you will get.

#71 ·
Is it possible?

I saved this quote from somewhere here on RFC but did not save the source. [emoji37]

"CCI is made by two manufacturers, Federal and Speer. The only way to tell which is which is the Lot #s. The ones made by Speer start with a letter and the Federals start with a number. Also, the bullet color is different between the two providers. One is light grey. One is dark grey."

The three companies share a common parent company.

#72 ·
I saved this quote from somewhere here on RFC but did not save the source. [emoji37]

"CCI is made by two manufacturers, Federal and Speer. The only way to tell which is which is the Lot #s. The ones made by Speer start with a letter and the Federals start with a number. Also, the bullet color is different between the two providers. One is light grey. One is dark grey."

The three companies share a common parent company.
I will try to document everything this time just for fun. But i think that this pistol will shoot great with almost everything. Eley has some ammo that they brand as pistol ammo but those have never worked in my other guns. Its always has been these std velocity rounds that shot best.

#73 ·
Still waiting on the chance to come out and try all this but these are the things im doing right now.

1- polished the bolt, there is still some work to do on it but it is really smooth now. Also smeared some Feinwerkbau Oil on it, can recommend this because it has been working in all my guns. Its not cheap though...

2- Also mounted a pistol scope from walther on my pistol, its a 2x20 duplex. Seems ok i had better scopes, bought a cheap one, just to try it i will not shoot with scope only iron sights.

3- And last but not least, a package from USA came, and there where a couple of things for my walther PP but also a kensight front sight. This is how it looks on the pistol. The kensight are just my curiosity i don't think it will improve anything, the factory sights work really good.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.