Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blast Shield?

7K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  Strider 
#1 ·
What is the blast shield?

#8 ·
On-Target had the best ones in my opinion, but unfortunately the company is no more and has been out of the game for several years. :(

Their blast-shield was stainless and the front tab fit up into the receiver where the grip frame hooks into it which greatly tightened up loose fits in the grip frame/receiver. Some complained of problems with these and the magazine as the long tab does go down into the magwell, but I have not had any issues in several years of using these in my 6 MKII's.

#14 ·
This style only fit the mark 1 & 2, not the 22/45. That's why I made the other style it will work on both. It stops the blow back build up on the trigger plunger and spring. That really starts effecting trigger pull around the 200 round range.

From what I've seen with the mark 3. I believe Ruger solved the problem when they added the extended block area around the feed ramp.

#9 ·
That thing looks like the "grim reapers" sickle. :eek: I have some of Bruce's "blast shields" installed in a few of my more often used Ruger Mark II pistols. I gotta try everything that comes along.......but only if it makes sense, and strikes me to be a worthwhile expenditure of my inherited fortune. :D

#12 ·
That guy...

I'm gonna be "that guy" here. This feels like a solution to a non problem. In fact it feels like something that will make a non problem into a problem. The way Ruger designed things I can lock the bolt back and with a quick blast of aerosol cleaner flush the offending crap right out of the way. With the "blast shield" some of the crap is going to land on the top but the rest is still gonna find it's way around and now the only way to clean it is to pull the upper off the lower. I don't mind pulling the main spring and bolt but prefer not pulling the upper and lower apart any more than necessary.

#13 ·
I'm gonna be "that guy" here. This feels like a solution to a non problem. In fact it feels like something that will make a non problem into a problem. The way Ruger designed things I can lock the bolt back and with a quick blast of aerosol cleaner flush the offending crap right out of the way. With the "blast shield" some of the crap is going to land on the top but the rest is still gonna find it's way around and now the only way to clean it is to pull the upper off the lower. I don't mind pulling the main spring and bolt but prefer not pulling the upper and lower apart any more than necessary.
I sort of think the same way you do. I just lock back the bolt and and I have ready access to the top of the trigger assembly . Once the grips are removed I can flush out any amount of debris with a spray cleaner. I clean my MK's quite often after use so I never really get a build up debris or gunk.

#19 · (Edited)
Still mostly a non-issue. I speed shoot as much as 2k rounds in my FrankenRuger before I even check whether it needs cleaning. TacSol upper and VQ lower so maybe its a non-issue, but none of my competitors think a moment about it either.
This is where MOST Ruger Mark, or Ruger clone owners need to pay attention. Two thousand rounds provide a lot of debris that gets dumped into the internals of a Ruger Mark or Volquartsen grip frame. That plan, as posted above, has good merit unless something prevents normal function before that exact round count is reached.
There's no substitute for cleaning, when cleaning is necessary, it's just one of the needs when dealing with .22 rimfire ammunition. I, for one, admire those Ruger Mark owners who have a steadfast cleaning regimen that they adhere to for their pistols. A clean Ruger Mark pistol is a happy Ruger Mark pistol. So, don't constrict yourself to a specific number of rounds fired. If something abnormal develops........start with a good cleaning.

It's really interesting how some wannabe's will recommend the use of "blast shields", yet they don't provide any dimensions involved with these 'marvelous" devices. Wonder why that is?

#18 ·
These are interesting little devices. I had not heard of them before. Clearly the perceived value of these is split down the center of those who clean and maintain their firearms vs those who don't find it necessary.

I think I'll give it a try and see how much it helps. Thanks for bringing the topic up (again, I guess, since I missed it the first time).

#20 · (Edited)
1. Field strip the weapon.
2. Using your favorite beverage can. Cut a rectangular strip .8" wide by 2.5" long.
3. Cut a hole the same width as the barrel hook and slightly longer than the length of bottom of the barrel hook on the grip frame approximately .5" from one end. (see Fig. 1)
4. Lay the strip in the gun over the barrel hook.
5. Make an angled cut right behind the arm on the disconnector assembly that rests on the trigger
plunger/spring approximately .25" or so it will clear the disconnector assembly. (the disconnector assembly is the bar running from the trigger to the sear)
6. Make a similar cut on the other side, so it will clear the bolt release. (should now look very similar to Fig. 2)
7. Place the small end in the trigger hole behind trigger.
8. Trim end behind trigger so approximately .25" is visible. (see Fig. 3)
GO TO THE LINK IN POST # 6 FOR ADDITIONAL INFO

This also helps eliminate feed problems if bullets are jamming into the bottom of feed ramp.

#21 ·
"There's no substitute for cleaning, when cleaning is necessary."

I certainly won't argue about that and totally agree with it. From what I read from various posters on the subject concerning any 22, not just ruger pistols, is some go overboard with it, others are more realistic and do it when needed, and some just let it go until the gun stops.

That seems to be a mankind's general rule with anything mechanical, more than needed, what is prudent, and neglect.

#24 ·
I must be the only one that used blast shields until the down pointing tab jammed the round going into the chamber a couple times. No reconfiguring that tab worked right short of cutting it off. Bad luck i guess. :)
It looks like that's what happened in Post #16. :yikes: Looks sorta like some little kid jammed a piece of aluminum in daddy's Ruger.

The blast shields in Post #3 are certainly much more professional looking, and seem to be doing a very good job. No fancy red stripes needed. :bthumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.