Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Mark lll ?

3K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Bereta1 
#1 · (Edited)
Need a recommendation for a gunsmith to accurize my Marklll, trigger, etc. Thanks

#2 ·
Accurize is a rather broad term. If you plan on using up graded parts I would recommend doing it yourself, I went right through mine and ended up with a superb handgun and I'm no gunsmith. On the other hand if you mean refitting and polishing parts I can't answer your question but someone else might help you.

#3 ·
Hello. Your post is rather vague. Are you offering help to guide people in altering their Mk III using aftermarket parts?

I do think that it is good to do things yourself if you are mechanically inclined, but being it is a firearm, I also think that people need to be very self aware. Know your limitations, and for safety sake, use a Smith when needed. Keep in mind, the purchase and upgrade of a firearm, especially a Mk series pistol, is inexpensive, and a Smith's cost is cheap insurance. Feeding it is the expensive part!!!

So thank you for offering to help

Rich

#4 ·
Hello. Your post is rather vague. Are you offering help to guide people in altering their Mk III using aftermarket parts?

I do think that it is good to do things yourself if you are mechanically inclined, but being it is a firearm, I also think that pe ople need to be very self aware. Know your limitations, and for safety sake, use a Smith when needed. Keep in mind, the purchase and upgrade of a firearm, especially a Mk series pistol, is inexpensive, and a Smith's cost is cheap insurance. Feeding it is the expensive part!!!

So thank you for offering to help

Rich
I'm by no way offering help to guide people in altering their Mk lll, or, have the inclination of how to do it myself. I'm looking for someone to upgrade the trigger, polish parts, etc. Don't know how you drew your conclusion. Thanks

#5 ·
I will try to be more specific and I agree with you on the issue of safety. First you have to learn to completely disassemble the gun and reassemble it which can be frustrating and takes time and patience. Most aftermarket upgrade parts are good quality and fairly inexpensive. Parts like Volquartsen trigger and sear make for a great trigger pull. Upgrading the firing pin and using a hardened extractor are worthy investments. There are numerous YouTube videos to guide a person through the installation of parts. I would also add replacing the magazine disconnect parts with a good hammer bushing.
If you plan on keeping the gun there's no rush on part upgrades but a good gunsmith can have it back to you in a day or two. The choice is yours and I do agree with you on the "safety first" policy.
Good luck

#6 ·
I will try to be more specific and I agree with you on the issue of safety. First you have to learn to completely disassemble the gun and reassemble it which can be frustrating and takes time and patience. Most aftermarket upgrade parts are good quality and fairly inexpensive. Parts like Volquartsen trigger and sear make for a great trigger pull. Upgrading the firing pin and using a hardened extractor are worthy investments. There are numerous YouTube videos to guide a person through the installation of parts. I would also add replacing the magazine disconnect parts with a good hammer bushing.
If you plan on keeping the gun there's no rush on part upgrades but a good gunsmith can have it back to you in a day or two. The choice is yours and I do agree with you on the "safety first" policy.
Good luck[/QUOTE

That's exactly why I'm looking for a gunsmith. Those things that you mentioned are the things I'm looking to have done. Thanks for your help. Garry

#12 · (Edited)
On a different note. I know I can replace the rear sight with a LPA adj., without altering the front sight. However, I would like to replace both. Im having problems seeing the the factory sights. What can I get that will replace both? Thinking about purchasing a Buckmark Reflex red dot sight if nothing is available. Thanks

#14 ·
He's the one that recommended the LPA. He said it would go well with my front sight. However, I failed to ask him about making a front sight with better clarity. That is definitely another option. After pondering a bit more, I've decided to look at other optics. I just don't have any idea what would be best for me. SGW suggested Ultra dot, and, something else that my memory fails to recollect. My eyes are not as sharp as they used to be, and, I don't see the open sights as well. Thanks

#15 · (Edited)
LPA sights are indeed really nice sights. But for aging eyes I'll agree with SGW that a red dot or a scope is the way to go. I'm not a steel shooter, for me I like a smaller dot making precision plinking more fun. I like shooting at small pieces of broken up clay pigeons and empty shotgun shells on the 25yard berm. If I were to get into competition I might consider a larger MOA dot sight as a larger dot is a little faster to pick up and align on a 4, 6, or 8, inch plate.

From what I have heard SGW does some fine work and I have no doubt he could come up with a set of iron sights that would be perfect if that is what you are wanting. You can put a set of iron sights on yourself but it is nice to have a set that actually looks good together and function properly. A good gunsmith can do that for you.

It comes down to weather or not you are going to use red dot or irons. I upgraded my factory sights to Williams firesights before giving in and getting a red dot. I should have saved my money and gone directly to the red dot. It really makes a difference in my grouping abilities and the sheer fun factor of shooting.

#22 · (Edited)
Here is what I have settled on (tried a few including the TRS-25 (too hard for me to pick up the dot.) I have 3 Mark II 6 7/8 targets and a different red dot on each for different uses. Cheap Tasco 40mm which is great for falling plates (large view and easy to pick up the dot;) Ultra dot for bullseye league; Millet SP1 for general plinking. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.