Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Advice sought: Have 22/45 Frame, want tapered bbl/receiver - doable?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  flangster 
#1 ·
Folks: I have a Ruger Mk III 22/45 grip frame with a VQ trigger and sear and some nice target grips. The frame is this one here (LLV receiver/bbl has moved onto a VQ frame):

So I now have this upgraded grip frame and I guess my three choices are a) sell it, b) throw it in a drawer and forget about it, or c) find an upper and make something interesting of it.

I would sort of like to get a long tapered barrel and receiver for it, either Mk II or Mk III, but I thought I'd ask advice here first. Seems like aftermarket favors the bull barrel set-up. So RFC: what do you like?

Seems like a 5.5 inch stainless or blued bbl/receiver runs around $139 from ruger-parts.net.
What about Pacnor? Any happy or unhappy users out there?
Any other aftermarket brands I should be looking at? I am not prepared to spend for re-barreling at Clark or VQ.
Any sources for a tapered bbl/receiver or it is just watch and wait on Gunbroker or a similar site?

Inquiring minds, and all that. . . .

See less See more
#2 ·

So I now have this upgraded grip frame and I guess my three choices are a) sell it, b) throw it in a drawer and forget about it, or c) find an upper and make something interesting of it.
What you call the "upper" is a barreled receiver with various other parts included, so it's just trying to find the right firearm to buy, the receiver being the ATF-classified firearm.

#3 ·
Yupper. I have a grip frame already and I have a bolt coming from an RFC'er. Just need a barreled receiver. Any suggestions? Buying a whole pistol leaves me with extra parts. 8 dogs, 10 buns, if you know what I mean.

#6 ·
Update: a new receiver found its way here

Well, two things happened. I found a Mk II 6 7/8 tapered target model for a reasonable price, AND a fellow RFC'er sold me a VQ LLV upper even nicer than the one I started out with. So: end result: all grip frames are now occupied. Thanks to all who responded on and off-list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.