Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Purchased a Mark iii

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Edward78 
#1 ·
Hi, haven't been on here in a while. But just bought a Mark iii Hunter SS 6.8 fluted barrel.
With a Bushnell Elite 2x6x32 scope.
Should have the gun in about a week. I am considering the Volquartsen accurizing kit and having a local gunsmith do the install.
Should I have the bushing done in order to get rid of the magazine issue? I read it makes field stripping much easier and the mags just fly out.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
JJ

#2 · (Edited)
The entire VQ accurizing kit really isn't needed. Most people find that simply using the VQ trigger & sear is all they need. The trigger allows you to adjust both pre travel & over travel and the sear gives you a reduced pull weight that is also pretty crisp ...at least as compared to the factory set up . I have this set up in 2 of my MK II pistols .
I just recently replaced the hammer bushing in my MK III and yes it does simplify assembly/reassembly process . I never had any issues with magazine extraction before hand though although if you are going to the trouble to replace the other parts you may as well do the hammer bushing at the same time.
You may just want to try shooting your new MK III as is for a while and see how you like it first before changing anything .
The VQ parts are really not difficult to install on your own if you are at all mechanically inclined .

#4 ·
The entire VQ accurizing kit really isn't needed. Most people find that simply using the VQ trigger & sear is all they need. The trigger allows you to adjust both pre travel & over travel and the sear gives you a reduced pull weight that is also pretty crisp ...at least as compared to the factory set up . I have this set up in 2 of my MK pistols .
I just recently replaced the hammer bushing in my MK III and yes it does simplify assembly/reassembly process . I never had any issues with magazine extraction before hand though although if you are going to the trouble to replace the other parts you may as well do the hammer bushing at the same time.
You may just want to try shooting your new MK III as is for a while and see how you like it first before changing anything .
The VQ parts are really not difficult to install on your own if you are at all mechanically inclined .
Thanks for the suggestions, I am very mechanically inclined and have done a number of mods to guns in the past. The only reason I considered having it done by the shop was my gun shop has the kit and and the bushing and I am in the middle of repairing my house from Hurricane damage from Matthew and burnt out at the end of the day.
And if he does it cheap, its worth it. I think I will run some ammo through it before I decide on the changes. Your suggestion of using first is a good idea. JJ

#3 ·
the bushing is a definitely upgrade in my opinion. while the magazines dont fly out like say a 1911, they do drop easily. if you want them to eject under a bit of spring tension, you can add volquartsens spring-loaded mag ejector. i did and am happy with the results.

look through the videos on youtube...you will probably find that installing all the parts is something you can do...a gunsmith really isnt needed. plus..it is a great way to get to know the inside of your mark iii. in addition to you tube, http://guntalk-online.com/service.html is a great resource for getting the marks apart and back together.

the parts are small and it can be a bit "fiddly" getting it all back together, but it isnt hard. depending on how much your mark has been disassembled/reassembled, they can be a pain, but all of the internals are pretty easy to work with

#7 ·
Thanks, I noticed a number of folks simply replaced the Trigger and sear and the hammer bushing.
That is another consideration I will ponder! JJ
The hammer bushing to replace the magazine disco parts is what I recommend to all those whose Ruger Mark III pistols I work on and work with, to have your magazines clicking into place more positively and then come flying out of the grip frame when you hit the magazine release. The Volquartsen sear install is a very good way to get your trigger pull down to a safe 2 ½ to 3 pounds.

A replacement trigger is more of a personal thing, if you want to have adjustment for pre and over-travel. The kits provide some parts that really don't provide much in better performance.
Look to the good folks around RFC to help you with any install issues you might run into. You really don't need to follow the advice of going off-site to get help with anything involved with your pistol. :shakehead

#10 ·
Hadn't thought about that, May already have a VQ job. I think if it had it would have mentioned it in the Gun Broker ad. But who knows!

It looks nice ...the trigger does look factory though. I'm not sure how long Ruger did this for but the factory triggers of both my MK II's have an over travel adjustment on them . I also have a MK III Target but it does not have any adjustments on it.
The trigger does look factory, and I do want the stainless VQ trigger and sear at the least and mag disconnect bushing. Whether it pays to get the whole kit, not sure?
A holster I was looking at says the extended bolt release does not work with that holster I like.

#9 ·
Hadn't thought about that, May already have a VQ job. I think if it had it would have mentioned it in the Gun Broker ad. But who knows!

It looks nice ...the trigger does look factory though. I'm not sure how long Ruger did this for but the factory triggers of both my MK II's have an over travel adjustment on them . I also have a MK III Target but it does not have any adjustments on it.

#14 ·
Thanks Ed, yes I saw a single bid on it. And when I looked at your feedback and profile. I felt you were an educated buyer and figured if you were bidding it's a good deal even at the buy now price.
I had planned to bid but since I was wanting this model for a while and it included a quality scope that retailed new for 300.00 , used 225.00. I thought I better just go ahead and hit the buy it now. I couldn't get hurt at this price. I mostly buy and sell on ArmsList locally here in SC. No FFL just drivers lic. and CWP.
I have purchased and sold some on Gun Broker as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.