Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Nomack
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Camp Perry for beginners?

Howdy All,

I'm trying to decide whether to schedule a week or so of my summer vacation at Camp Perry. Although I've been around guns all my life, competitive rifle is new for me. My son (12) is doing club competitions. We'll have a couple of Annies set up with peep sights. Are there things for people like us to do at Camp Perry? Or is it generally for more experienced, serious shooters? I mean other than the obvious, enjoying the vendors, a clinic or two - I mean in terms of shooting.

TIA!

N
Old 01-10-2017, 08:20 PM
wmrike

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smallbore (nationals) is no longer held at Camp Perry. Word is they (NRA) are in the process of getting rid of the long range matches, and possibly the high-power matches as well.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:57 PM
Nomack

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrike View Post
Smallbore (nationals) is no longer held at Camp Perry. Word is they (NRA) are in the process of getting rid of the long range matches, and possibly the high-power matches as well.

Would you be willing to just elaborate on that a bit? I'm not all that interested in long range, and not entirely sure what high-power means. No small bore at all at Perry?

Old 01-11-2017, 06:00 PM
no4mk1t
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I was on the State Rifle team for 15 years and went to Perry from 1986-2000.

Camp Perry is an Ohio National Guard installation. Matches are held there throughout the year.
In July and August, the NRA and CMP conduct the National Matches at Camp Perry over the course of about a month.
There is a week each of Pistol Championships, Small Bore, (22 rim fire) Service Rifle, (AR15/M1/M1A) and NRA High Power. (Long Range)
For 2017, the NRA High Power portion has been moved to Camp Atterbury in Indiana.

All of these competitions are geared more toward the experienced competitor. The best way to get your feet wet with the Camp Perry experience is to start competing at the local club level in the discipline you are interested in, (Small Bore) then go as part of a club or State Association team. This way you get the benefit of experienced shooters in the club coaching you and your son and possibly loaner equipment like shooting mats and spotting scopes if you don't have your own. You will have a much more enjoyable experience this way as opposed to going without any previous experience under your belt.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:26 PM
NuJudge

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Small Arms Firing School - Pistol and - Rifle are good introductions to Camp Perry. The - Pistol SAFS is usually early, and some of the vendors are not there yet. The - Rifle is usually in the thick of things.

There is still one smallbore match at Camp Perry: the Civilian Marksmanship Program's .22 Sporter match. I really enjoy it, but it is not shot with the typical smaller position rifle. The typical rifle used is a CZ452/455 or Ruger 10/22.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Nomack

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no4mk1t View Post
The best way to get your feet wet with the Camp Perry experience is to start competing at the local club level in the discipline you are interested in, (Small Bore) then go as part of a club or State Association team. This way you get the benefit of experienced shooters in the club coaching you and your son and possibly loaner equipment like shooting mats and spotting scopes if you don't have your own. You will have a much more enjoyable experience this way as opposed to going without any previous experience under your belt.

Thanks, yes, we are already doing that, and really enjoying it. Well, he is anyway - the old man here hasn't quite found a venue for it, but the youth group is great. My son has already shot in one match, and we're looking to do more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
The Small Arms Firing School - Pistol and - Rifle are good introductions to Camp Perry. The - Pistol SAFS is usually early, and some of the vendors are not there yet. The - Rifle is usually in the thick of things.

There is still one smallbore match at Camp Perry: the Civilian Marksmanship Program's .22 Sporter match. I really enjoy it, but it is not shot with the typical smaller position rifle. The typical rifle used is a CZ452/455 or Ruger 10/22.

Thanks. The SAFS Rifle is July 15-16, followed by a match that appears to be oriented toward beginners (EIC Match). That may be perfect for us. We could then stick around for some of the big events the following week. Unfortunately the 22 Sporter Match is not until two weeks later, can't stay that long...

Do you think it's safe to assume that being a spectator at Camp Perry is not all that great? I assume you have to stay far back in spectator areas and use binocs? Are there other things happening, things to do and see relating to the events?
Old 01-13-2017, 06:42 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrike View Post
I think it's more a case of spreading things out & finding new, long term homes for the various matches. When the nation was less populous it may have made more sense to have the small-bore, pistol, high-power & long range matches all held back2back2back, but in the intervening century it maybe has become a logistical nightmare? There's also the fact that our military installations (necessarily) have tighter security in the new millennium than they did even 20 years ago. So other venues may be more amenable to long-term tenancy of the match schedule...

[NB: I've never been to Camp Perry, so this is just my take based upon what little I've read about the recent changes in the NRA mag & elsewhere.]
Old 01-14-2017, 08:19 PM
1813benny

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeve View Post
I think it's more a case of spreading things out & finding new, long term homes for the various matches. When the nation was less populous it may have made more sense to have the small-bore, pistol, high-power & long range matches all held back2back2back, but in the intervening century it maybe has become a logistical nightmare? There's also the fact that our military installations (necessarily) have tighter security in the new millennium than they did even 20 years ago. So other venues may be more amenable to long-term tenancy of the match schedule...

[NB: I've never been to Camp Perry, so this is just my take based upon what little I've read about the recent changes in the NRA mag & elsewhere.]
The nationals were all back to back as the NRA only wanted to mobilize personnel one time and they rented the range for that one block of time from the OH national guard. The logistical nightmare is the situation that developed between the CMP and NRA and scheduling both of their matches in July and August .

CP does not have full blown security...they even took the guard post away years ago.

The NRA has no interest in the precision paper target shooting sports anymore as their view is that it is a $4 million waste.....until it is an Olympic year that they can parade shooters around and slap some backs....

The misguided move to Bristol - against the vast majority of small bore shooters - has resulted in a plummeting attendance for nationals. Only around 135 for prone this year for a Roberts Team selection year no less...

My perspective as a 31 year competitive small bore shooter with many trips to CP starting in 1986....
Old 01-15-2017, 12:36 AM
C. Opalewski

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1813benny View Post
The nationals were all back to back as the NRA only wanted to mobilize personnel one time and they rented the range for that one block of time from the OH national guard. The logistical nightmare is the situation that developed between the CMP and NRA and scheduling both of their matches in July and August .

CP does not have full blown security...they even took the guard post away years ago.

The NRA has no interest in the precision paper target shooting sports anymore as their view is that it is a $4 million waste.....until it is an Olympic year that they can parade shooters around and slap some backs....

The misguided move to Bristol - against the vast majority of small bore shooters - has resulted in a plummeting attendance for nationals. Only around 135 for prone this year for a Roberts Team selection year no less...

My perspective as a 31 year competitive small bore shooter with many trips to CP starting in 1986....
Well said. With one addition that unfortunately Camp Perry is a shadow of it's former self.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:30 AM
Fuzzy Limey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fuzzy Limey
Quote:
. . . The NRA has no interest in the precision paper target shooting sports anymore as their view is that it is a $4 million waste . . .
I'll second that motion ... having recently given up - defeated - after an almost 2 year struggle with their "Top Management" and Competitions Department to get them to act on a disabled shooter petition !

Fuzzy
Old 01-17-2017, 02:35 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
well, this is sad news !
I was also thinking of going to CP this year, as a newbie wanting to get a taste of what the smallbore comp there is like.
As a NRA life member I guess I feel a bit let down, would there be any use in complaining some more to them ?

Bob4BVM
Old 01-18-2017, 04:18 PM
Surculus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Thanks for that: very illuminating! Seems like CMP is the way forward for most of us if the NRA is determined to drop the ball. Maybe if we can stage another revolt & oust that fat beaver of a Vice President for Life who has turned the NRA into his private fiefdom? Or maybe it's just time to start over fresh?
Old 01-18-2017, 04:59 PM
kameljock
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SB Nationals

Not sure what part of the country you are in, but the SB Conventional Championships are in Bristol In(July), and the metric nationals are in Phx, Az (March).

Any upper level match is good experience. I would recommend that one has a classification card even if it is a marksman.

Good Luck

Ron
Old 02-12-2017, 08:08 PM
1813benny

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
PA & NJ for small bore.....

Nomack,
If you are in the NYC area, that is not too far away from quite a few indoor and outdoor competitions (prone and 3-position) in both the PDRNJ (People's Democratic Republic of New Jersey) and Pennsylvania.

If you really want to get some great footing, visit some of the matches in eastern and central PA. The shooters in this area are very friendly and willing to help out those who are starting in small bore. From a competitive standpoint, the PA and NJ area is excellent experience.

If you are interested, send me a PM with your phone number and I will be happy to give you a synopsis of the opportunities. Too much info to type and I can make some recommendations based on your preferences.

Regards,
ken