Lapua Center-X & Chrony Question - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 05-13-2017, 10:36 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2011
Location: 
NLV
Posts: 
2,534
TPC Rating: 
100% (18)


Log in to see fewer ads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill40718 View Post
I think all we ever know for sure is that every rifle has it's own likes and dislikes.
But I"m going to be on the lookout for some CenterX/Midas+ 327.
Bill,
Some food for thought back in December I brought a lot 28550 8731 for my baseline lot when I tested at Lapua. this lot shot good in Mike's and Frank's Anschutz's also and was used for their baseline.
this lot was also the one I used to tune Frank's 1813, the lot he has been shooting matches with is the very same one I am shooting in my Falcon and tested the best. 27551607164, it is a shame only 3-cases was produced of this lot

Lee
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-14-2017, 02:50 PM
earnest's Avatar
earnest

Join Date: 
Dec 2010
Posts: 
5,452
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
How have you been Marty, That is very interesting what you are saying. does this have to do with forced deformation? Black box pistol has box speeds of less then 1030

I do know Lapua with speeds in the 324, 325,326 don't shoot well in any of my barrels. 327 is what shoots the best.

Lee
Lee, I'm fairly certain all pistol ammo's powder has a faster burn rate. so neither pistol ammo or eley ammo much above 1040 will be in time with that particular chamber..marty
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:08 PM
Hoot is online now

Join Date: 
Jul 2004
Location: 
Twin Cities
Posts: 
623
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
Hoot,

Please post your results with the new barrel. I know others have being using chambers for Lapua, but it seems I am the only one posting about the results.
I would also be interested if your chamber that was done for Lapua engraves the bullet.
none of mines seems to show any engraving.

Lee
Not to worry, I won't keep posting my results every two weeks for the entire league season, but again the rifle proved that it is not the weak link. After the last shoot's 2300, I realized I had to improve my consistency across all 4 cards. I actually took some vacation on the off week and went to the Friday practice. Usually I don't make them as they are from 1-4 PM and I don't get off until 3:30. That particular day, we had the unusual steady state, monodirectional, right to left wind at around 15mph. All four flags the same. Not much of a challenge dialing that out and shooting to my satisfaction. It was otherwise a beautiful 72 degree day, unlike our league match yesterday. Unfortunately it had rained for the previous 4 days off and on and we had a less than desirable 52 degrees at kickoff with a miserable, damp, 10-15 mph headwind off the lake into our faces. Sniffles and stiff fingers weather. The good news was it regularly died down to afford one or more shots. When I was patient, that played well for me. Not dead still, but just enough for the flags to bias their heading in a direction with a small amount of deflection in the tails. Again, it took me about half of the first card to get settled down and that cost me. Compared to suckin' hind teet last year, I was tickled to take 3rd again with a 2025, 2100, 2125 and 2250. If my two 25's had been 100's I could have taken 2nd. It was that close. Forget 1st unless that fellow suffers some misfortune. He is head over heels better than the rest of us. He had a 2400 and a 2300 yesterday kind of good. There were times where I was comfortably ahead of the clock and waited patiently for my setup to come back around. Unfortunately, there were times where I could not control my need to shoot more than once every 2 minutes (seems like 5-10 minutes) and I gave a setup that was close to good a try. Cost me every time. I know, that's what the sighters are for. Of the 4 cards, there were around 5 what just happened shots? Where an impact was totally contra-indicative to the flags and there was 1 in 3 of the 4 cards and 2 in one of them when as I refer to them as "why its Center-X, not Midas" moments happened. all 6 oclock low 25's or 50's in an area of the card where no other shots were down that low. I know, everyone has their excuses...

Still, I felt so darn happy to get that performance, compared to last year. I appreciate so many of you chiming in on my 3 or so threads, with advice. Not to mention, the good discussions that stay informative more than combative in this sub-forum. Not all BR oriented forums are that way. I'm sure I'm not the only relative newby on a budget who gets to benefit from your experiences, so keep them coming. In summary and to quote Pogo, "We have met the enemy and they are us!" I will continue to work on that. In the mean time, the weather can start getting reliably comfortable any old time now!

Hoot

Last edited by Hoot; 05-19-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
 
  #19  
Old 05-20-2017, 07:24 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2011
Location: 
NLV
Posts: 
2,534
TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Not to worry, I won't keep posting my results every two weeks for the entire league season, but again the rifle proved that it is not the weak link. After the last shoot's 2300, I realized I had to improve my consistency across all 4 cards. I actually took some vacation on the off week and went to the Friday practice. Usually I don't make them as they are from 1-4 PM and I don't get off until 3:30. That particular day, we had the unusual steady state, monodirectional, right to left wind at around 15mph. All four flags the same. Not much of a challenge dialing that out and shooting to my satisfaction. It was otherwise a beautiful 72 degree day, unlike our league match yesterday. Unfortunately it had rained for the previous 4 days off and on and we had a less than desirable 52 degrees at kickoff with a miserable, damp, 10-15 mph headwind off the lake into our faces. Sniffles and stiff fingers weather. The good news was it regularly died down to afford one or more shots. When I was patient, that played well for me. Not dead still, but just enough for the flags to bias their heading in a direction with a small amount of deflection in the tails. Again, it took me about half of the first card to get settled down and that cost me. Compared to suckin' hind teet last year, I was tickled to take 3rd again with a 2025, 2100, 2125 and 2250. If my two 25's had been 100's I could have taken 2nd. It was that close. Forget 1st unless that fellow suffers some misfortune. He is head over heels better than the rest of us. He had a 2400 and a 2300 yesterday kind of good. There were times where I was comfortably ahead of the clock and waited patiently for my setup to come back around. Unfortunately, there were times where I could not control my need to shoot more than once every 2 minutes (seems like 5-10 minutes) and I gave a setup that was close to good a try. Cost me every time. I know, that's what the sighters are for. Of the 4 cards, there were around 5 what just happened shots? Where an impact was totally contra-indicative to the flags and there was 1 in 3 of the 4 cards and 2 in one of them when as I refer to them as "why its Center-X, not Midas" moments happened. all 6 oclock low 25's or 50's in an area of the card where no other shots were down that low. I know, everyone has their excuses...

Still, I felt so darn happy to get that performance, compared to last year. I appreciate so many of you chiming in on my 3 or so threads, with advice. Not to mention, the good discussions that stay informative more than combative in this sub-forum. Not all BR oriented forums are that way. I'm sure I'm not the only relative newby on a budget who gets to benefit from your experiences, so keep them coming. In summary and to quote Pogo, "We have met the enemy and they are us!" I will continue to work on that. In the mean time, the weather can start getting reliably comfortable any old time now!

Hoot
Hoot,

Very happy for you, seems the new barrel and chamber setup is working. it should only get better with more rounds down the barrel.
I fully understand how you feel when the " why I am not Midas+ moments happen" but to finish in the top 5 with that ammo makes one feel good, especially when chasing after the premium stuff is not possible.

I wish you more and better success as the season moves on

Lee
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-28-2017, 01:27 AM
Hoot is online now

Join Date: 
Jul 2004
Location: 
Twin Cities
Posts: 
623
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
"Fate is the cruel mistress of the universe."

Was cutting down 4x8 sheets of Luan for target boards over at the local range on the tailgate of my pickup. Been doing it for years. One of the neighbor kids dumped his bike out in the cul-de-sac (barefoot) and let out a blood curdling scream. I was cutting at the time and glanced toward the commotion to see how badly he was hurt. In that split second, I ran the circular saw across my trigger finger and middle fingers. Luckily, I had fast enough reflexes to avoid severing them, but really chewed them up, especially my middle finger. Of course, the wife is out of town and I was home alone. clamped them with my left hand and walked into the house to throw a quick wrap of paper towels with an adhesive gauze closure around them before the blood could fly. Not sure if I was in shock or what, but instantly sweat began pouring out of my head and it was cool outside. Shook it off and put my tools, lumber and saw horses away before driving myself to the ER. Thankfully its an automatic transmission. After 5 absorbing an 27 surface sutures later, I left for home. The Lidocaine has worn off and the throbbing has me still up at 1:30 AM.

Next match is on June 8th. I'm guessing that I'll be perfecting my triggering using my left hand, something I've done before. I'm ambidextrous, so its not a challenge. Just when I was getting my game up to par of course. I am grateful that I didn't lose them entirely. This is about all I can tolerate typing with just 1 finger. Gonna try to get some sleep. Been a trying day. I work with my hands and I'm really bumming out at the moment. It will be an adventure for a while, that's for sure.

Regretfully,

Hoot
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-28-2017, 02:53 PM
Al the Infidel's Avatar
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Location: 
Yoopersville
Posts: 
18,707
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
"Fate is the cruel mistress of the universe."

Was cutting down 4x8 sheets of Luan for target boards over at the local range on the tailgate of my pickup. Been doing it for years. One of the neighbor kids dumped his bike out in the cul-de-sac (barefoot) and let out a blood curdling scream. I was cutting at the time and glanced toward the commotion to see how badly he was hurt. In that split second, I ran the circular saw across my trigger finger and middle fingers. Luckily, I had fast enough reflexes to avoid severing them, but really chewed them up, especially my middle finger. Of course, the wife is out of town and I was home alone. clamped them with my left hand and walked into the house to throw a quick wrap of paper towels with an adhesive gauze closure around them before the blood could fly. Not sure if I was in shock or what, but instantly sweat began pouring out of my head and it was cool outside. Shook it off and put my tools, lumber and saw horses away before driving myself to the ER. Thankfully its an automatic transmission. After 5 absorbing an 27 surface sutures later, I left for home. The Lidocaine has worn off and the throbbing has me still up at 1:30 AM.

Next match is on June 8th. I'm guessing that I'll be perfecting my triggering using my left hand, something I've done before. I'm ambidextrous, so its not a challenge. Just when I was getting my game up to par of course. I am grateful that I didn't lose them entirely. This is about all I can tolerate typing with just 1 finger. Gonna try to get some sleep. Been a trying day. I work with my hands and I'm really bumming out at the moment. It will be an adventure for a while, that's for sure.

Regretfully,

Hoot
Jeeze o pete Hoot! Hope they heal up with no nerve damage for ya.
__________________
If you're going to talk through your arse stand up, I hate mumbling.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-28-2017, 08:37 PM
Hoot is online now

Join Date: 
Jul 2004
Location: 
Twin Cities
Posts: 
623
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Jeeze o pete Hoot! Hope they heal up with no nerve damage for ya.
Surprisingly, I slept like a stone, getting up at 9 AM. not how I usually lived as I have to get up for work on weekdays at 5 AM. The throbbing subsided overnight and the day was uneventful. Watched a marathon baseball game with the son-in-law, who was kind enough to bring along a large pizza. Fingers are not painful. Don't know whether to be thankful or worried about that. Wont look a gift horse in the mouth though. Time to sanitize my good hand and change my dressings.

Hoot
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-31-2017, 08:24 AM
Al the Infidel's Avatar
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Location: 
Yoopersville
Posts: 
18,707
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Surprisingly, I slept like a stone, getting up at 9 AM. not how I usually lived as I have to get up for work on weekdays at 5 AM. The throbbing subsided overnight and the day was uneventful. Watched a marathon baseball game with the son-in-law, who was kind enough to bring along a large pizza. Fingers are not painful. Don't know whether to be thankful or worried about that. Wont look a gift horse in the mouth though. Time to sanitize my good hand and change my dressings.

Hoot
__________________
If you're going to talk through your arse stand up, I hate mumbling.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2015 RimfireCentral.com
x