Volquartsen 17WSM - Jamming on empties, shipping back to VQ for updated extractor - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:45 AM
Immortl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Post Volquartsen 17WSM - Jamming on empties, shipping back to VQ for updated extractor

I have an early run VQ 17WSM (serial under 100) and I have been having troubles with empty cases either not fully clearing the bolt during ejection or bouncing around and getting caught up in the chamber (mouth against bolt face, rim against breach face). I called VQ earlier this week and sent over pictures. Ryan responded asking me to send it in for warranty work, stating that they have since updated the extractor. I'm not sure when the update made it in to production, but I eagerly sent my rifle in yesterday. When I get it back, I'll let you guys know if the problem is solved. I wanted to share this in case anyone else is having a similar issue. I have always found their support to be responsive and timely.

Unrelated, but when I was having similar issues with the 17HMR, they also redid the extractor and replaced it with a much beefier one, enlarging the extractor cutout on the barrel to accommodate it. This was pre WSM release, but the extractor is very similar to the large one that originally came on the WSM. It has worked great on the HMR.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 04-19-2017, 09:25 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Joe.

I'll be interested to see how the fix works. I recently reviewed one of their 17WSMs and did not run into any issues, so I'm not sure when the fix was done.

Let me know.

Eric
Old 04-27-2017, 03:27 PM
Immortl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eric,

I will let you all know within the next few days. UPS dropped it off to me this morning. The enclosed notes indicated that VQ replaced the bolt and tested functionality. I should get over to the indoor range this weekend (or if I can carve out some time, one of these evenings prior). I am excited to test it out.

Thanks,
Joe