Grip mod ? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-19-2017, 09:04 AM
tomcat11-64
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2008
Location: 
Southern Indiana
Posts: 
78
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Grip mod ?



Log in to see fewer ads
Since Kinghous is out of the game is any one else
doing the grip mod on pistols without
the replaceable grips?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-21-2017, 06:08 AM
Z400ACDC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Location: 
Bowling Green,KY
Posts: 
1,204
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat11-64 View Post
Since Kinghous is out of the game is any one else
doing the grip mod on pistols without
the replaceable grips?
I have done a couple and you can also. It is not that difficult. I ordered factory 1911 grips from CDNN for $20. With the help of YouTube, you can do it. Just take your time sanding the old grip off. You can't put it back! You can save some money and have a some fun!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-21-2017, 07:22 AM
JStacy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2009
Location: 
Texas
Posts: 
4,096
TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
There was another vendor that was doing them, maybe Madmacs , but I am not sure. Seems like the cost was 85.00 or so.
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 04-21-2017, 01:29 PM
bugleboy

Join Date: 
Jun 2012
Posts: 
28
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have never done it, mind you, but it seems it would be simple with an end mill bit, router, and simple wood jig.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-21-2017, 03:48 PM
9x19

Join Date: 
Mar 2002
Posts: 
3,372
TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
#8 on the list of services:

http://www.maddmacsprecisiontactical...-services.html
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-21-2017, 05:12 PM
dmaxd03

Join Date: 
Feb 2009
Posts: 
42
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugleboy View Post
I have never done it, mind you, but it seems it would be simple with an end mill bit, router, and simple wood jig.
That's the churched up way of doing what I did. Router bit on a dremel using a wooden jig in the cutout shape of a 1911 grip. The jig gave me a level surface to control the depth of the router bit. The ruger 1911 grips from cdnn were 12$ on sale with the ruger crest inset. The overall grip feels thick like a 1911, but makes the slide release / stop (argue away on the actual term or function) difficult to actuate. Slim grips might be in my future, or I might attempt to shave down the grips I have. Bottom line; don't be afraid to try it yourself. I went slow and had no oops.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-22-2017, 07:43 PM
rawhp's Avatar
rawhp is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2015
Location: 
USA, CA
Posts: 
980
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxd03 View Post
That's the churched up way of doing what I did. Router bit on a dremel using a wooden jig in the cutout shape of a 1911 grip. The jig gave me a level surface to control the depth of the router bit. The ruger 1911 grips from cdnn were 12$ on sale with the ruger crest inset. The overall grip feels thick like a 1911, but makes the slide release / stop (argue away on the actual term or function) difficult to actuate. Slim grips might be in my future, or I might attempt to shave down the grips I have. Bottom line; don't be afraid to try it yourself. I went slow and had no oops.
I knocked a 1/16" off each grip, so 1/8" overall is noticeable. The slingshot mod helps to release the slide, but I still rotate my hand when engaging the slide stop.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2015 RimfireCentral.com
x