NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat11-64 View Post
Since Kinghous is out of the game is any one else
doing the grip mod on pistols without
the replaceable grips?
I have done a couple and you can also. It is not that difficult. I ordered factory 1911 grips from CDNN for $20. With the help of YouTube, you can do it. Just take your time sanding the old grip off. You can't put it back! You can save some money and have a some fun!
Old 04-21-2017, 07:22 AM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
There was another vendor that was doing them, maybe Madmacs , but I am not sure. Seems like the cost was 85.00 or so.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:29 PM
bugleboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have never done it, mind you, but it seems it would be simple with an end mill bit, router, and simple wood jig.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:48 PM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
#8 on the list of services:

http://www.maddmacsprecisiontactical...-services.html
Old 04-21-2017, 05:12 PM
dmaxd03

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugleboy View Post
I have never done it, mind you, but it seems it would be simple with an end mill bit, router, and simple wood jig.
That's the churched up way of doing what I did. Router bit on a dremel using a wooden jig in the cutout shape of a 1911 grip. The jig gave me a level surface to control the depth of the router bit. The ruger 1911 grips from cdnn were 12$ on sale with the ruger crest inset. The overall grip feels thick like a 1911, but makes the slide release / stop (argue away on the actual term or function) difficult to actuate. Slim grips might be in my future, or I might attempt to shave down the grips I have. Bottom line; don't be afraid to try it yourself. I went slow and had no oops.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxd03 View Post
That's the churched up way of doing what I did. Router bit on a dremel using a wooden jig in the cutout shape of a 1911 grip. The jig gave me a level surface to control the depth of the router bit. The ruger 1911 grips from cdnn were 12$ on sale with the ruger crest inset. The overall grip feels thick like a 1911, but makes the slide release / stop (argue away on the actual term or function) difficult to actuate. Slim grips might be in my future, or I might attempt to shave down the grips I have. Bottom line; don't be afraid to try it yourself. I went slow and had no oops.
I knocked a 1/16" off each grip, so 1/8" overall is noticeable. The slingshot mod helps to release the slide, but I still rotate my hand when engaging the slide stop.