Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New Takedown Rifle Backpack

8K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  silent223 
#1 ·
Hey guys been a while since I posted, but I do browse the forum often :).

Anyways I wanted to get some opinions/ test the water for interest on a takedown rifle backpack.
Basically I have a buddy who works in the backpack industry, they have held contracts with major US brands before so I know there stuff is good quality. I have been talking with him about making a backpack specific for takedown rifles, primarily the 10/22. I know there is a couple of such backpacks out there but none of them are exactly what we want, which is: it needs to fit a takedown with a large scope on it! So, we're working on making a pack that can fit a takedown with a large scope (like my 3-12 x42mm scope), AND with a pistol grip stock like the TacStar stock. It can also fit a tavor bullpup, the SR-556 takedown, other takedowns. And since its a backpack, instead of having it be 'just a takedown gun backpack' we added several large strategic pockets to it to make it suitable for hiking, camping, hunting, bug out, survival, SHTF, apocalypse... Basically the ultimate all purpose tactical backpack.

The question is how many people would actually be interested such a backpack? I really want one which is why I started talking with my buddy about making it, but the price to make one single backpack is crazy expensive. If they are made in mass order the price will be alot lower and whoever wants one can get one, estimated to cost around $100.
So far we have only made a 3D computerized sketch of the design and decided to test the waters for any interest here in the rimfire community. Post here and let me know how much interest is there in such a backpack. Should I continue with the project? Or ditch the idea?...

See less See more
#7 ·
Not really. The copper basin pack is made to hold a 10/22 and thats it. Cant be used as hiking/hunting or bug out bag. Its just to small. And from the reviews I have read most people say its too small to fit their 10/22 especially if they dont have the adjustable LOP stock.

#3 · (Edited)
Take a look at the internal dimensions on the copper basin backpack, it will not fit a stock that is not 18" or less. Great idea that someone dropped the ball on.

I am definitely interested in a backpack that will fit my setup. I have a volquartsen barrel with Leupold 4-12 sitting on it with the hogue thumb hole stock. I would love to see the design.

#8 ·
Take a look at the internal dimensions on the copper basin backpack, it will not fit a stock that is not 18" or less. Great idea that someone dropped the ball on.

I am definitely interested in a backpack that will fit my setup. I have a volquartsen barrel with Leupold 4-12 sitting on it with the hogue thumb hole stock. I would love to see the design.
Exactly. If you put on a large scope and dont have a collapsible stock your gun wont fit. The design Im working on isnt going to be something like a Diversion Racquet Rifle Case or the 5.11 covert bag, but purely a backpack modified to hold a takedown rifle securely and safely. A backpack that for the hiker who likes to bring along their .22 for plinking or the hunter with an AR, or the prepper for when SHTF.

Exterior of the bag will look something like this.

Plan is to have it in a couple different styles/colors- a tactical version with all the molle webbing and stuff and a discreet version for the urban user who doesnt want it to look so tacticool, kinda like the copper basin.

#5 ·
I really like my Rackit-36 by Vanquest. My Tavor is a snug fit because of the sight riser but it fits.

https://www.vanquest.com/products/rackit-36-covert-rifle-pack.html

It could stand a second main pocket (double layer, so to speak) but the velcro lined secondary pocket is handy for smaller items like extra mags, etc. Anyway, if still set on making your own you might find some ideas here.

#10 ·
I think a bag capable of holding a Takedown with a scope attached (approx. 24-26") would be money. The issue I see with these other bags, is they are set up for an AR and too big for the TD.

Back to the OP, can you provide any details? Are you looking for input?
The goal in the design is to make it capable of securely holding a classic hunter stock and a pistol grip AR style stock. This backpack will be made to hold a rifle only in the takedown configuration, or an AR with the upper and lower separated. There are already several kinds of bags made to hold complete AR's, like the vanquest, but in that setup with a bag thats 36'' long its impractical to be used as a hiking pack.

Im giving details as we go along here, what specific details are you looking for? Yes Im looking for input :)

#11 ·
Why not take the Ruger bag as the premise for the design but longer, of course. And by that I mean, one large compartment that has two padded sleeves, one for the upper and another for the lower. Maybe a pocket on the front capable of holding targets or small items. Two pockets on each side - the bottoms one could hold ammo or magazines. The upper ones for a stapler, cleaning kit or eye/ear pro.

I'm just spitballing here but hope this helps some.

#12 ·
Why not take the Ruger bag as the premise for the design but longer, of course. And by that I mean, one large compartment that has two padded sleeves, one for the upper and another for the lower. Maybe a pocket on the front capable of holding targets or small items. Two pockets on each side - the bottoms one could hold ammo or magazines. The upper ones for a stapler, cleaning kit or eye/ear pro.

I'm just spitballing here but hope this helps some.
That is pretty much the basic idea of the design we are working on.

#15 ·
Just a few more ideas here:

Pockets for:
- Ear/Eye Pro
- cleaning kit/tools
- Stapler/Small targets
- Magizines
- Clear plastic pocket in inside one the main pockets for NFA item(s) paperwork storage
- Main compartment lockable
- one or two pockets within the main compartment to hold a 22 suppressor or extra 25rd magazine
- Nothing sown on the outside that identifies it as a gun bag…velcro would allow one to put their own patch or whatever on it, if they should choose to do so

I bought this pistol backpack a while back and it is an amazing item to have for your pistols when hitting the range. You may get a few more ideas by taking a look at it. I've bought three of these to date, one for a friend, father, and myself :AR15firin. Here is the link: http://www.goutdoorsproducts.com/products/the-handgunner-backpack/

#19 ·
Yes, I'm also very interested in a bag like this! Been searching for something exactly like this for over a week now.
I think this a neat idea,altho I don't have a 10/22 Takedown model(yet).However I do have a 10/22 with a Butler Creek folding stock.Would this possibly fit this backpack?It just has a Center Point red/Green optical on it now,but I'm planning on getting a Bushnell TRS-25 later.
Progress is going but this project is way more time consuming than I had ever thought it would be. I have made a prototype so far and it does what it needs to do but needs a lot of work.
Heres some conclusions I have come to:
Its not really possible to make one backpack that can hold an AR bullpup and still be practical as a scouting/ day hike pack unless you dont mind hauling around a huge 27'' tall backpack, but at that size its no longer really concealed, and there already is backpacks of that size but their only practical for concealing your gun in transitional spaces i.e. car-home-work-etc. cant use them if you wanna go on a hike and do some plinking. So it also comes down to what kind of gun do you own, join the takedown club :AR15firin.
I can say the backpack will be able to hold a takedown AR, and all configurations of the 10/22 takedown unless you have the regular OE stock with a extra large scope that extends several inches past the receiver. The OE stock itself is 21 inches, and that is already a pretty tall backpack. Go measure your hunting backpack its going to be 20'' and its tall enough, unless your taller than the average.
I might end up making it in 2 configurations to hold a 21'' and a 27'' OA length rifle.

#18 ·
I think this a neat idea,altho I don't have a 10/22 Takedown model(yet).However I do have a 10/22 with a Butler Creek folding stock.Would this possibly fit this backpack?It just has a Center Point red/Green optical on it now,but I'm planning on getting a Bushnell TRS-25 later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.