KD, An Appleseed on Steroids! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:20 PM
Dracomeister
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
KD, An Appleseed on Steroids!

Just shot my first Known Distance yesterday, got my Long Range patch, and I'm hooked!

Had a great time, sleet in the morning, high temperature of 40, mud and standing water to lay our mats in, wind from multiple directions and gusting, GEEZ the things we do for fun! I figured out pretty quickly that hitting that "simulated" 400 yard target at 25 meters is a bit easier than hitting the real thing at 400! I also found out that at long range I could see my heartbeat in my scope!

Instructors were great and helped a bunch and the KD History talks were exceptional! I'm looking forward to 2017 KDs! If you've shot an Appleseed, take it to the next level!
Old 01-08-2017, 08:17 AM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracomeister View Post
Just shot my first Known Distance yesterday, got my Long Range patch, and I'm hooked!

Had a great time, sleet in the morning, high temperature of 40, mud and standing water to lay our mats in, wind from multiple directions and gusting, GEEZ the things we do for fun! I figured out pretty quickly that hitting that "simulated" 400 yard target at 25 meters is a bit easier than hitting the real thing at 400! I also found out that at long range I could see my heartbeat in my scope!

Instructors were great and helped a bunch and the KD History talks were exceptional! I'm looking forward to 2017 KDs! If you've shot an Appleseed, take it to the next level!
KD? I'm your man! I love KD and shoot it often on my private range. I shot in KD Appleseed events in Tennessee and Alabama last year. Have new friends, ol' Ramblin' Wreck, Rusty, AKA Maximum Ordinate, and others! I shot on Arnold Air Force Base in Manchester, TN and in Talledega, Alabama.

Looking forward to more KD in both TN and AL this year, hopefully I can fit them in my schedule!
Old 01-17-2017, 12:49 AM
RaggedHole
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Awesome! Now you should do a week long Rifleman's Boot Camp and take your orange hat! I went to the one at the Appleseed home range in Ramseur, NC last October and it was amazing. We camped out at the range and got to live and breathe it for a week, it was so much fun. It is basically an extended Appleseed + KD, + Instructors Boot Camp [IBC]. After all that they have a separate event on the Sat/Sun after that a lot of the newly minted "Orange Hat" IITs will work and get practice teaching fundamentals, range saftey, and positions. I would HIGHLY encourage anyone who can to go!

Quote:

Last edited by RaggedHole; 01-17-2017 at 12:55 AM.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Dracomeister
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedHole View Post
Awesome! Now you should do a week long Rifleman's Boot Camp and take your orange hat! I went to the one at the Appleseed home range in Ramseur, NC last October and it was amazing. We camped out at the range and got to live and breathe it for a week, it was so much fun. It is basically an extended Appleseed + KD, + Instructors Boot Camp [IBC]. After all that they have a separate event on the Sat/Sun after that a lot of the newly minted "Orange Hat" IITs will work and get practice teaching fundamentals, range saftey, and positions. I would HIGHLY encourage anyone who can to go!
I'm actually already signed up for the March RBC in Ramseur and I accepted my Orange Hat in October. Looking forward to a week of learning new stuff. I've got 1,500 rounds of .22LR that my 10/22 likes and I've loaded 500 rounds for my AR ... now it's like waiting for opening day!
Old 01-18-2017, 08:07 PM
RaggedHole

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
I'm actually already signed up for the March RBC in Ramseur and I accepted my Orange Hat in October. Looking forward to a week of learning new stuff. I've got 1,500 rounds of .22LR that my 10/22 likes and I've loaded 500 rounds for my AR ... now it's like waiting for opening day!
Dude, that is awesome! Don't know if you have camped there before but it an awesome experience. I brought 500rds for my AR and went bone dry which was a real bummer. A couple of the guys and I had to muster some reinforcements from the local walmart. I would say 650-700 just in case, it is no fun switching ammo types/quality after you have everything dialed in. I am going to the Douglas, WY RBC in June and am so stoked to go back to another one, have an awesome time!!!

P.S. I totally agree, it is WAYYYY harder to fo the full distance KD. Your targets may be the same but what they dont tell you is that your mistakes, room for error, potenial poi shift, and deviation now increases 4X @100yds, 8X @ 200 yds, 12X @ 300yds, & 16X @ 400yds. I just barley squeaked out my Long Range rocker @ 40/50.

Rifleman's Tramp Stamp ^^^

Last edited by RaggedHole; 01-18-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:21 AM
Kennebago

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGhillemohr View Post
Looking forward to more KD in both TN and AL this year, hopefully I can fit them in my schedule!
If I can make the scheduling work I'll be at either Pelham or Talladega this year - hopfully I'll see you there!
Old 01-20-2017, 08:03 AM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennebago View Post
If I can make the scheduling work I'll be at either Pelham or Talladega this year - hopfully I'll see you there!
I'm sure I'll make it to a couple of them! Talledega is ideal. We shot six KD's on 20 July 2016 on a one day KD. I don't think we could have shot that many in one day at Manchester or any other paper target range.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:37 AM
YukonJack
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What's the course of fire and recommended rifle(s) for a KD?

I'd love to shoot a KD and have my Rifleman, have shot the CMP SAFS and Garand clinic, but personally own nothing larger than a .22 - and that's clearly not gonna cut it.

-Mark
Old 02-09-2017, 08:51 AM
MacGhillemohr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post
What's the course of fire and recommended rifle(s) for a KD?

I'd love to shoot a KD and have my Rifleman, have shot the CMP SAFS and Garand clinic, but personally own nothing larger than a .22 - and that's clearly not gonna cut it.

-Mark
The course of fire is exactly as a reduced course AQT, except we shoot the actual distance!

The two KD's I have been to, go by a "hits count" only type of scoring the targets. This means only hits in the black will count!

A score of 40 hits is needed to qualify as a KD Rifleman.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:53 AM
MacGhillemohr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rifles I would recommend for KD are AR's, M1 Garands, M14/M1A. Just about any .223/5.56 or .30 cal rifle that is suitable for slinging up and fast reloading will do the job.