Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:53 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Torsion trigger spring in polymer housing

Hello,

I've been reading through posts on torsion trigger spring mods, and most that I've seen are using older aluminum trigger housings. Has anyone done this mod using the newer polymer housings?

If so, I have a couple of questions. For the spring stop, the posts I've seen drill and tap a screw (set screw, etc.) above the trigger pin. I'm skeptical if this would work with a polymer housing, but on the other hand, the spring doesn't seem to apply too much pressure, so maybe it would be fine. If anyone has tried it, did it work out OK?

I've also been thinking that there might be a simpler route that would work with a polymer housing, but probably not on a metal one. My thought is to use a short piece of the same music wire used for the torsion spring, heat it up red hot with a torch or lighter, then melt a hole straight through the polymer in the same location as you would drill and tap. Then, on the torsion spring, bend a dog leg on the end that would line up with the hole. When installing the trigger, the dog leg would insert into the hole, anchoring the end of the torsion spring. Any thoughts on this or experience with using this method?

If you look at the last pic on this post, the idea would be to place the hole in the polymer housing, where the set screw is in the pic.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...5&postcount=28
Old 04-20-2017, 11:54 PM
chillypepper
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
yes I've done dozens.

First is to loose the flexy fantastic plastic trigger.

Then I polish the holy heck outta the bushing area of the hammer plus cut a little slot, and let the spring ride on that.

I've done plenty enough even to the poly triggers to say that the flex in the trigger will make a pretty okay trigger job into not so much. Get a good trigger. You can work with the rest of the group to make it work.

How are you cutting your trigger for the spring?

here is where a bunch of guys are going to say that either I'm wrong, or to go get a kidd. I'm only giving my experience and can't say for anyone else's.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:24 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillypepper View Post
yes I've done dozens.

First is to loose the flexy fantastic plastic trigger.

Then I polish the holy heck outta the bushing area of the hammer plus cut a little slot, and let the spring ride on that.

I've done plenty enough even to the poly triggers to say that the flex in the trigger will make a pretty okay trigger job into not so much. Get a good trigger. You can work with the rest of the group to make it work.

How are you cutting your trigger for the spring?

here is where a bunch of guys are going to say that either I'm wrong, or to go get a kidd. I'm only giving my experience and can't say for anyone else's.
Thanks. That's another idea, using the hammer bushing, that I may borrow.

I bought 6 metal triggers from Brimstone for $12, so I have plenty to practice with. And only costs me $2 for each screw up.

I had an idea about milling the trigger right after I made the first post, and ran down to the garage to see if it would work. Not sure if I chose the right radius (can't tell what's right by the pics on other posts), but here's what it looks like. 5 more triggers left to get it right if this one isn't right:

I used a 1/8" drill bit as the axis for the trigger pin hole, and adjusted the vise to what looked like a similar radius as I've seen on other pictures. I chucked a cheap ebay end mill bit in my old Sears drill press and set the depth to make the first cut, rotating the trigger on the drill bit/axis. Adjusted the depth and repeated until it looked deep enough for the width of what the torsion spring will be. Not super clean, but looks like it will be functional. In any case, not too bad for 10 minutes of effort.

I bought 4 - 3ft lengths of 0.032" music wire from ACE Hardware on the way home ($1.60 for the pack), but I haven't thought too hard about winding the spring yet.

Last edited by rawhp; 04-21-2017 at 12:27 AM.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:07 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried making a couple of springs last night, and realize it isn't so easy. I used a drill bit clamped in my desk vise to wrap the music wire around, but then needed a small c-clamp to hold one end in place. It took a LOT of force to form the spring, and needed to leverage my pliars against the vise to do the final pull. The 2 I made came out sort of OK, but the windings didn't end up tightly together, like the ones in Vincent's post:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...8&postcount=26

I now appreciate why a better thought out jig is needed for good results, and see how the little slot in the bolt in Vincent's jig would help guide the windings and keep them together.

I also found that I need to do more one more pass with the end mill to deepen the cut in the tirgger so that the sprng will fit without binding when it finally goes into the trigger housing. Just playing with the trigger and spring makes me think that the idea of melting a hole in the housing to anchor the end of the spring may work. I'll probably add the hole at a slight angle so the spring naturally has a tendency to move further into the hole when tension is applied.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:14 PM
Tyendor
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhp View Post
Hello,

I've been reading through posts on torsion trigger spring mods, and most that I've seen are using older aluminum trigger housings. Has anyone done this mod using the newer polymer housings?

If so, I have a couple of questions. For the spring stop, the posts I've seen drill and tap a screw (set screw, etc.) above the trigger pin. I'm skeptical if this would work with a polymer housing, but on the other hand, the spring doesn't seem to apply too much pressure, so maybe it would be fine. If anyone has tried it, did it work out OK?
It will work fine with the screw through the side of a poly housing, that's the way Brimstone does on the tier 1, tier 2 and BX triggers.

And then when you get the torsion spring done you can drill and tap the hole where the return spring and plunger used to be and install a setscrew for a trigger over travel stop.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:03 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (73)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
I personally have done a dozen or so... Brimstone has done thousands... so, what's your worry

Old 04-21-2017, 07:07 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
I personally have done a dozen or so... Brimstone has done thousands... so, what's your worry
THIS!
Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I went the "keep it simple" route, with the dog leg at the end of torsion spring, and drilling an angled 3/32" hole (~30 degrees) in the housing, big enough for easy installation. I should have cleaned up the end of the dog leg from the sharp cut using wire cutters, but it's smooth and rounded off now so it will slide easily on the housing when putting it in.

Vincent's post said to bake the spring at 450 for an hour, so the oven is preheating now. I may wind a couple of more to see how low I can go before I have reset problems.

EDIT: The spring came out of the oven a nice bronze-redish color, kind of like a stainless steel exhaust system looks after it gets heated up. I did a little more honing and polishing of the sear and hammer before installing it, so the trigger is breaking at 1.5 lbs (10 pulls with my cheap Wheeler guage with less than an ounce deviation). I spent about an hour trying to make it fail and rechecking the engagement surfaces without any issues, but safety testing with live ammo is the only way to really know it's safe at this point (I'm thinking of getting some shims to tighten things up further).

Last edited by rawhp; 04-22-2017 at 07:26 AM.