Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:10 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ 527 stock

I was looking at the CZ online store at stocks for a 527. The American stocks are listed as Walnut and when you look at the picture provided there is what you would expect. When looking at the "Turkish" walnut for the other stock types there seem to be some very nice figured wood patterns. Is there a difference between the regular walnut and the "Turkish" walnut? I realize that stocks on CZ rifles are a crap shoot but is the "Turkish" that much better? Or am I doing some wishful thinking?
Old 04-18-2017, 07:28 PM
SWUtah

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
synthetic

I've got a nice 527 American M1 synthetic stock (NIB takeoff) if anyone is interested. Nice and lightweight, good for a field gun, especially in harsh or wet weather environments.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:50 PM
Oso

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ Stock

The standard stocks are made with Turkish walnut, and not an American or European variety of walnut. Same wood used on my 455's and 527's. The color is a medium reddish brown and density is similar to mahogany. Luck of the draw ...you may get you a stock with some figuring, but most are nondescript straight grained.

Every once in a while they may make a special order that have a unique stock, but this is not the norm.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies. I am going to try the CZ stock lottery and order one online.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:36 PM
lesaus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For walnut, I would start with Herter's French Red Stock Filler. This will fill the pores and bring out the grain with the built-in stain.

For a finish, boiled linseed oil will seal the wood and give a natural look. It will require multiple coats to seal and a bit of rubbing, but, well worth the effort.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:04 PM
mbrd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
when i was a kid i used to do a linseed oil/turpentine process to get a deep grain shine out of walnut and red cedar. it was basically 50/50 linseed/turp for the first step, and evenly graduated down to 100% linseed oil by about the eighth (final) step. i'd wait a couple of weeks between steps, to really let the stuff soak in. it was all very amateurish, and i haven't done it in decades, but it really produced some nice results on decently featured, and finely sanded lumber.

sorry to wander off topic, just wondering if anyone else tried this- i'm no woodworker.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:13 PM
jkingrph
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No kid here, I'm almost 72. I have been using a similar process for probably 55 years now, most often to refresh an old finish . My most recent was on a 1957 Marlin 39a Mountie. I would rub the linseed oil mix on initially with some 4/0 steel wool to help clean the old dirt grime off. On one of the shotgun forums I had found a formula for a mix called Slackum oil, apparently an old British mix of linseed oil, turpentine, carnauba wax, and Venetine turpentine. It makes a good low gloss finish, abit slowly.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:35 PM
nexus99

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWUtah View Post
I've got a nice 527 American M1 synthetic stock (NIB takeoff) if anyone is interested. Nice and lightweight, good for a field gun, especially in harsh or wet weather environments.
Hey Utah, what are you asking for your synthetic stock? I'm looking for an American stock (bad geometry on my 527 Carbine stock for use with optics).
Old 04-21-2017, 07:47 AM
mauser22
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I hear ya. Inspired by a Carbine that Gerald put in a lux stock I have come up with a wild but expensive idea.

.223 Carbine. replace straight stock with a lux AND add the M1 flush triggerguard and magazine.

Should recoup some with sale of the original stock magazine etc, still my wallet needs to heal a bit from other Crazy Old Fart projects.

It's something to do.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:35 AM
flatlander

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a 527 carbine in 7.62x39 specifically to re-barrel in 6 RAT a few years ago. The Turkish walnut stock on this one has some nice fiddleback figure through its whole length, which makes for a pretty attractive OEM stock. No idea how often you come across a stock as nice as mine, but I've yet to show it to anyone who wasn't impressed with the amount & type of figure it has.