Got the JW-15 to the range - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:45 PM
.22fanatic
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Got the JW-15 to the range

I bought this rifle at auction a couple of weeks ago and finally shot it today. When I bought it it was part of a lot that included a Winchester 52 reproduction that I wanted so the Norinco was thrown into the mix. I intended on selling it until I saw it and realized that someone had put an awful lot of time and money into refinishing and re-stocking it with a beautiful full length stock.

After input from several RFC members advising me to at least shoot it before I put it up for sale I decided to see what she could do. I found an old Redfield 2x7 scope that looks proper on this rifle in a drawer, got it mounted and drove to the range. The range is in my front yard so it didn't take long.

I brought 2 types of ammo, CCI SV and Eley Target, figuring that at least one of them would do well enough to show me if the rifle was worth keeping.

I got it sighted in at 25 but had plenty of problems with the scope not taking corrections. I was about to give up but in frustration I screwed the windage all the way in and back what I guessed was half way and all of a sudden the windage started working! No clue whats going on with the scope, it's one that came with a traded for rifle and seems in excellent shape with perfect glass. I may end up sending it to Redfield to see if they can fix it.

Anyway, once the adjustments "took" I moved to 50 yds. It was shooting ok but not great. A couple of caveats- first, I haven't sat down to try to shoot well for many, many months, and second, the wind was all over the place and I made no attempt to compensate for it. I was shooting at an IBS 50 yard rimfire target which has five rows of five targets. The first two rows, not counting sighters at top, were shot with the CCI SV. The first groups weren't good at all but I was still getting used to the rifle and the narrow stock, not to mention the trigger which isn't bad but is probably 4 lbs with a decent amount of travel.

After five or six groups I was already making up my mind that the rifle was going up for sale. I had faith in the CCI ammo and figured that the rifle just wasn't going to perform. Then, starting with the third row down not counting the sighters, I changed to the Eley Target ammo. I didn't make any attempt to condition the bore to the new ammo, just loaded it up and started shooting.

The difference was amazing. After the first four rounds went into less than half an inch I got so excited that I threw the last round way out. It was me as were the all the shots that were out after that. It was a lot of fun shooting groups even if I continually managed to throw one or two per group far enough to ruin the measurment. I'm sure it was almost all me just getting back into shooting after quite a break.

If I can make it happen I'll include some pictures of the rifle and set up as well as the target. I know the groups are nothing special on this forum but at least now I know. Thanks for the advice and help!

One day I may figure out how to simply post pictures here but I guess it won't be today. Here's the Dropbox link, once you open the link just click on one of the pictures and it will open up full size.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tdxael1m6...eEP_AiNia?dl=0

Last edited by .22fanatic; 03-19-2017 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Link not working
Old 03-20-2017, 07:50 AM
blkwollf
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
95% (46)
Good Going;...BUT,...U Double Clicked your Post!!!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:57 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by .22fanatic View Post
One day I may figure out how to simply post pictures here but I guess it won't be today. Here's the Dropbox link, once you open the link just click on one of the pictures and it will open up full size.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tdxael1m6...eEP_AiNia?dl=0
Was gonna show yer pics, but something went sideways.

Last edited by edlmann; 03-20-2017 at 09:13 PM.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:57 PM
.22fanatic

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks

I saw that but don't see any way to delete the duplicate.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:00 PM
.22fanatic

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks Edlmann! Can you tell me how you did this? Using Dropbox is a bit of a pain.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:41 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Nice rifle!! You have to use a 3rd party hosting site such as photobucket and then copy the IMG code and put it in your post.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...93#post4642793
Old 03-20-2017, 02:55 PM
.22fanatic

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thank you! I'll check that out.
Old Today, 06:42 PM
minimouse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice! I'd keep it, too. Someone went through a lot of trouble to re-stock that one.
Old Today, 09:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
That is the nicest JW-15 I have ever seen and certainly worth keeping and "tinkering" with!! That looks like some serious stock work/checkering - sweet rifle and if you ever want to unload it look me up

PennDog