Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:03 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Background Checks

I've had an LTC for about 12 years now and am wondering if others have experienced the same problems as me. First off I unfortunately live in MA. Every time I purchase a new firearm I get a hold after completing my background check. This has happened with every firearm I have ever purchased which is currently around 40 or so from dealers. My check never goes through so I have to wait the full 7 days before they can release the firearm under the Brady Bill. This is extremely frustrating, especially if I ever wanted to purchase a firearm from a gun show as many of the vendors are not local. I know that a Federal UPIN would make it so I would not have to wait. But I have had my fingerprint card done and sent out twice already for my UPIN and both times, after waiting a considerable amount of time, I called to ask when I would receive it. Both times I was told they never received my envelopes. And I know for a fact that I had sent them to the correct adress.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:07 AM
Baja_Traveler
US Coast Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My suggestion would be to send it again registered signature required. Then they have no excuse. Only 7 days - you are lucky. Here in Kommiefornia its 10 days with no exemption for CCW holders...
Old 02-16-2017, 11:54 AM
Extremetaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just checked the dates on my last permit application.

It was submitted on the 6th of November last year.

...I got the permit two days ago.

Quit yer whingin'!

Old 02-16-2017, 07:18 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not complaining about renewing my permit. I already know to fill out the form and send it in a year before it expires. I'm talking about getting a government hold everytime I purchase a firearm and the fact that it is annoying and inconvenient. Especially when they will give no explanation as to why.......
Old 02-16-2017, 07:22 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And I believe it's 7 business days, not counting the days of purchase, which puts it right at 10 days. My point is it is called the instant criminal background check, but nothing about it is instant.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:31 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not to be a wise guy.......

.....but you could move out of Massachusetts. We have no waiting periods in GA, and FFL transfer fee at "my guy" is just $15.00.

Ferox34
Old 02-16-2017, 08:49 PM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As bad as Connecticut is there is no waiting period when you purchase any firearm as long as you have a carry permit. I'm assuming what you are saying is you have a carry permit and still have to wait the seven days for the background check if so that's completely ridiculous
Old 02-16-2017, 11:29 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. And to reply to other post I would love nothing more than to move out of MA, but my current circumstances work/family don't afford me that opportunity unfortunately.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:17 AM
JVStalin

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Smile No, wait !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. And to reply to other post I would love nothing more than to move out of MA, but my current circumstances work/family don't afford me that opportunity unfortunately.
Here in Alaska , if one chooses to get a Concealed Handgun Permit , on can opt , for a few bucks more , to get the "NICS Exempt" option. This allows the permited one to skip the not-so-instant background check , as one has already jumped the flaming hoops . Other states offer a similar option. In Alaska , to get the ACHP, one already has submitted fingerprints to the Feds, a photo, and has passed a local background check. The "NICS" program is Federal, so, your state must apply to the Feds to allow a "NICS Exempt " waiver tied to your state's CCW program. Lobby your state legislators to bring state law up to date and in sync with other states best practices. GOOD LUCK !
Old 02-17-2017, 08:26 AM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My state (MA) does offer a Federal UPIN which allows you to essentially skip the background check. But, as I have stated above, I've been to my local PD twice to have my fingerprint card done and both times sent it for my UPIN. And both times after waiting for a long period of time I contacted them and was told they never received my envelopes. I am currently sending it in a 3rd time. I know I have the right address, I'm thinking that they just don't want to be bothered with doing their job.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:03 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Option....

....rather than mailing, can you deliver the form in person?? MA isn't that big of a state/commonwealth, can you just hop in the car?

Ferox34
Old 02-17-2017, 09:08 AM
Sophia

RFC Admin Team
TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
My state (MA) does offer a Federal UPIN which allows you to essentially skip the background check. But, as I have stated above, I've been to my local PD twice to have my fingerprint card done and both times sent it for my UPIN. And both times after waiting for a long period of time I contacted them and was told they never received my envelopes. I am currently sending it in a 3rd time. I know I have the right address, I'm thinking that they just don't want to be bothered with doing their job.
Quick question: Are you asking a question? Looking for a possible solution? Or is this just a complaint thread?
Old 02-17-2017, 10:36 AM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced these issues and if so how they resolved them.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:12 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Cool here in GEORGIA

all is good, back ground check might take 20 minutes, depending on how busy the gun shop is!! with my C C permit there is no background check. I pay for my gun and go out the door. C C permit the first time is $85.00 including police fingerprints. 30 days prior to expiration it is only $35.00 to renew, no additional fingerprints required. come on guys, leave the unfair north and come to the promise land.
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM
Mapache

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The hold under the Brady Law is 3 business days, not 7 days. Mass law may prevent them from releasing before 7 days.

I am a dealer, and have found that NICS will sometimes delay when there is a further review if there is a peak volume of calls. Getting the UPIN is your best option, and sending the app with sig confirmation is probably the way to go.