Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

where to bed a bull barrel

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Flintlock28 
#1 · (Edited)
hello, my Magnum research has a .920 bull barrel and I want to bed my new stock. a Richards microfit,

has anyone done this? or have suggestions as to where to bed it? from what I have read which was a 3 year old thread they said to bed the first 2 inches in front of the action, and at the tip of the forearm grip. I guess that means at the end of the stock, to keep it from teeter-tottering. since the take down screw is all that holds it in.

Suggestions, comments, snide remarks welcome, thanks.

jamie

See less See more
#2 ·
Its my understanding to bed about the first 2 inches in front of the vblock. The reasoning is that a .920 barrel is to heavy for the aluminum receiver. You may want to try some different pressure pads under the barrel before bedding the forend tip. That may not be the best place for your setup. You can use innertube to find the best place and size and then bed that area. Hope that helps, I haven't done it yet but it seems to be what most people recommend from what I have read on this site. Nice stock by the way.

#4 ·
jamie,

I'm kinda in the same boat....I have the Target model that shoots awesome, but I'm considering getting a Stocky's Eliminator stock. I'm debating if I get the stock if I should free float the barrel, and use the method below posted by Nemohunter, or Just try using the stock with support at the end of the forearm?

Anyway, check out this link, it might be up your alley:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320811&highlight=How+nemohunter

#5 ·
I've got the Eliminator and unfortunately one of the options you mentioned isn't available...at least not very easily. The forearm on the Eliminator is almost completely hollow, therefore there is nowhere to simply add a pressure pad or bed the first few inches of barrel without building up some sort of structure which would close up one of the forearm vents. I'm currently using the Volquartsen bedding kit with a pressure pad at the tip. I've also bedded just the rear of the receiver. If the pressure pad proves not to be effective, I may go back to a complete free floating barrel, however last time I tried that the barrel started to droop which surprised me being an all KIDD build with a very tight barrel/ receiver fit.

#6 ·
Thanks for the information, I'm probably just like you weighing my options. I like the idea of free-floating, but it looks like from what you describe, that's not gonna be too practical. On the other hand, my rifle shoots so well with the forearm end supporting the barrel, that maybe free-floating is not necessary.
I'm averaging about 3/8" 5 shot groups at 50 yards, so I'm not complaining.

By the way, could you post some photos of your stock? I really want to see what the crimson Red looks like..Not just the factory photos.

Thanx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.