shoulder pressure or not ? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:20 AM
vicfox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

A bit of time has passed since I posed this initial question and have had the value of time at the range to do more experimenting. I have been doing well and had a scope upgrade whilst shooting some very consistent Centre X .
Through all this I have found the best accuracy to come from no shoulder pressure at all after trying various amounts of pressure and positions.

Thanks to those who chimed in.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:25 AM
OlGeezer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My results

I posted a reply earlier on this thread and took what I learned here to the range bench.

For newbie me, some moderate but consistent shoulder pressure has improved my shooting. I now have more holes touching than I did 2 months ago. It worked for me.

It got me theorizing that recoil must begin before the bullet actually leaves the barrel. It might explain the "fliers" I was getting when I was not using hardly any shoulder pressure. Of course, it could also be wind, ammo, flinch and any number of different factors but I did notice a significant increase in accuracy.

I have found little information about shoulder pressure. Many/most readings seem to ignore it as part of the basics for more accurate shooting.

I realize there are some shooters who don't use any shoulder pressure and get great results. It seems to be boiling down to consistent technique as the cardinal rule, after I discover and eliminate all my bad practices and effects.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:13 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlGeezer View Post
I posted a reply earlier on this thread and took what I learned here to the range bench.

For newbie me, some moderate but consistent shoulder pressure has improved my shooting. I now have more holes touching than I did 2 months ago. It worked for me.

It got me theorizing that recoil must begin before the bullet actually leaves the barrel. It might explain the "fliers" I was getting when I was not using hardly any shoulder pressure. Of course, it could also be wind, ammo, flinch and any number of different factors but I did notice a significant increase in accuracy.

I have found little information about shoulder pressure. Many/most readings seem to ignore it as part of the basics for more accurate shooting.

I realize there are some shooters who don't use any shoulder pressure and get great results. It seems to be boiling down to consistent technique as the cardinal rule, after I discover and eliminate all my bad practices and effects.
That's a big factor. Regardless of whether you use some shoulder pressure or not, you need to be consistent if you expect to get consistent results. I prefer as little contact with the gun as possible for that very reason. But with light weight sporters and guns with heavier than "hair" triggers, you have to grip or hold them to a certain extent.