2017, A Sagerat Odyssey - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:06 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertFish View Post

Option #2: "I will be out of the office from April 10, 2017 through April 15, 2017 and will be in Southern Oregon ruthlessly assassinating thousands of Belding's ground squirrels with my buddies SageRat22 and the Legend, S&G Custom. I will be staying at Rancho Red Mist where I will not be answering my phone, checking my emails or paying attention to the used gun market for the 20 of you guys who call me every flipping day for advice. I will be seeking admission into the Red Mist 200 Yard Club with my new long range 1717 HB this year and I will be too busy to worry about much else other than bumming HMR ammo off Scott and trying to finagle him to get me on some rock chucks too. On the off chance that I accidentally answer my phone after 7:00 p.m. PST, any advice you get will be greatly influenced by Maker's Mark and should not be deemed as reliable."
There was a nosy newspaper editor that would call my office and ask my staff where I was. They would tell him "in Siskiyou County participating in vector control exercises."

Was up there yesterday (northern California). It was overcast most of the day, but when the sun came out, they came up. Rather slow day (200 rounds) so I left after 5 hours.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:46 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertFish View Post
My secretary was nice enough to remind me that I am going to be out of the office all next week in Oregon and that I need to remember to leave one of those "Auto Vacation Responses" on my email to let everyone know. She suggested that I consider using a customized response like all my hip colleagues do; as opposed to the canned default one in Outlook. That makes sense I guess, but I am having a real hard time deciding which one of the two versions would be best. You see, half of my day is spent actually doing work for clients and the other half of the day is spent getting calls from gun guys and playing on the internet. So here is what I think would be two good options:

Option #1: "I will be out of the office from April 10, 2017 through April 15, 2017 on business out of state. Unfortunately there is very little cellular signal and internet access is spotty at best. Please bear with me in not getting back to you until the third week of April. As always, I really appreciate your business and look forward to continue to assist you on your matters."

Option #2: "I will be out of the office from April 10, 2017 through April 15, 2017 and will be in Southern Oregon ruthlessly assassinating thousands of Belding's ground squirrels with my buddies SageRat22 and the Legend, S&G Custom. I will be staying at Rancho Red Mist where I will not be answering my phone, checking my emails or paying attention to the used gun market for the 20 of you guys who call me every flipping day for advice. I will be seeking admission into the Red Mist 200 Yard Club with my new long range 1717 HB this year and I will be too busy to worry about much else other than bumming HMR ammo off Scott and trying to finagle him to get me on some rock chucks too. On the off chance that I accidentally answer my phone after 7:00 p.m. PST, any advice you get will be greatly influenced by Maker's Mark and should not be deemed as reliable."
It should go something like this.....
Hi, im sorry I missed your call. I am out of the office and out of cell service untill next week. Every year a myself and a small group of dedicated volunteers donate a week of our time. We spend a week helping rural farmers that have lead contaminated pastures with logistical and financial support of their operation. We believe that the nations farmers are the most valueable asset to this great country. If you would like to get involved, donations can be made to the AAA French Foundation at Canyon Creek. Att.Mike. Thank you so much for your understanding and support!
Old 04-05-2017, 10:58 AM
DES/TSD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad to see your coming here. I will be too busy getting ready to leave for NC so I can't harass you guys while ya'll shoot those critters. I like the part about helping farmers. Ecologically sensitive and truthful.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:22 PM
BigBull301

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We shot last Friday and Saturday.
Very high body counts of rats and Chucks. Headed back at the end of April.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:27 PM
S&G Custom

TPC Rating: 
99% (101)
Turning out to be a rough season so far Going through tuns of ammo without even pulling the trigger ! Lost most of my hunting gear at the Rancho Red Mist last week to scumbag thieves that broke in to my mobile. This seasons turning out to be very expensive so far NOT GOOD !

SG
Old 04-19-2017, 09:50 PM
SageRat22

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Plus the weather really has remained unsettled with occasional nice days and bunches of rainy/snowy/cold/windy days. Poor ol' Vertfish didn't come out because the weather forecast was for lousy weather the entire time he would have been here, and it was. Lucky for a bunch of rats I guess, but we missed his sense of humor and unique contributions to the ambiance of Rancho Red Mist.
I'd like to be able to change my quarry to tweaker scumbag thieves but Oregon still frowns on shooting them, sadly.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:55 AM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
I am still saddened that my pilgrimage to southern Oregon to see John and Scott and the target-rich Rancho Red Mist alfalfa fields had to be cancelled due to the terrible weather. The forecast was cool, cloudy and rainy every single day of the adventure. Scott was taking off extra time at work to host the event and John was juggling ranching, security for his son's huge auction, the local fire board and a host of other volunteer work in order to pull off the week of shooting that I had planned. Those of you guys out there that hunt these little devils know that they mostly come out when it is sunny or even party sunny; even if it is cold and there is snow on the ground. But if it's 60 degrees and overcast, they just don't come out much.

There was much anticipation this year as Sage and I both invested in new long-range boomers in our Anschutz 1717's. My estimation is that about 5,000 rats were spared a rather explosive death thanks to Mother Nature. Here is a typical scene from the Rancho Red Mist living room:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kmHQO-Q_wrU
Old 04-21-2017, 05:56 PM
RonL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Has anyone noticed that there are fewer rats this year? The ranch I hunt on doesn't seem to have as many as usual. Other people I've talked to who live near rat covered fields have noticed the same thing. Of course there have only been a handful of sunny days this spring!! I am over 2 months later this year than last year to start my season. Great for the rancher, sucks for me.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:15 PM
RonL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The last image looks like the back side of Stukel Mtn. to me. ???
Old 04-24-2017, 11:04 PM
SageRat22

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
The weather has continued its unpredictable nature. What was forecast to be sunny and pleasant turned out to be overcast with cold winds, not ideal rat shooting. We worked at it and made 4-500 rats into carrion feed for the day. Late in the day we decided to find a rock chuck. Chucks typically inhabit rocky points and rock piles where they can see and still be within a short walk to a good food source like the alfalfa field we were rat shooting on. This point is a 140 yard shot which is on the long end for 17hm2 but in the effective range for 17hmr. The Legend with a chuck that he peeled off the previously pictured knob. He was teaching it to ride his shooting bench and to share space peacefully with other passengers. Both chucks got along quite amicably.
These chucks committed the mortal sin of getting caught out in the open field and were easy work for my 17hmr. Since this is the Kimber forum I grabbed one of my Classic Varmints in 17hm2 for photo purposes. Four rock chucks have the same forage consumption rate as a cow, so they can really impact hay and pasture production.
The next morning dawned bright and sunny with little to no wind and the best part is that the new croppers were up. A great morning, we may have eliminated 8-900 sagerats in about 4 hours. This was my view from the office. The bare spots are squirrel mounds that the rancher had just harrowed down.
To reply to earlier comments, the winter did impact rat numbers significantly but with the babies up, the hunting should improve. The goofy weather is still a major factor, overcast, cold and windy keeps them in their holes. With the alfalfa starting to grow, at some point we'll be impacted by our ability to see them.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:49 PM
minimouse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You guys are having too much fun!
Old 04-28-2017, 01:24 AM
Gabby-Bill
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&G Custom View Post
Turning out to be a rough season so far Going through tuns of ammo without even pulling the trigger ! Lost most of my hunting gear at the Rancho Red Mist last week to scumbag thieves that broke in to my mobile. This seasons turning out to be very expensive so far NOT GOOD !

SG
I hope you had all the serial numbers on the big stuff to give to LE, in the event it is recovered.
Hell of a way to start your season!
Hope you get everything back.
Gabby
Old 05-01-2017, 08:19 PM
S&G Custom

TPC Rating: 
99% (101)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby-Bill View Post
I hope you had all the serial numbers on the big stuff to give to LE, in the event it is recovered.
Hell of a way to start your season!
Hope you get everything back.
Gabby
UPDATE : They busted the guy today just up the road from Rancho RedMist We'll have to see if I recover anything.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:55 PM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&G Custom View Post
UPDATE : They busted the guy today just up the road from Rancho RedMist We'll have to see if I recover anything.
Good to hear! I hope you get your stuff back and I hope that guy does some time.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:14 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Good news S&G custom!! Maybe you can get some things back and hopefully they will arrest a few accomplices.