Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:18 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
FYI to folks discussing the lead free bullets. The lead free rounds about to be released, are now 15 grains.

Eric
Sooooo can we assume the velocity is going to be increased a fair amount as well???

Using the 17 Hornet ammo as a comparison, the 20gr stuff in the 17 Hornet is advertised as 3650fps and the 15.5NTX factory ammo is advertised as 3870fps. I would think the same 15.5NTX bullet out of a 17 WSM should be around 3150-3200fps.

Eric, do you have any idea what kind of velocity the 15 grainers are going to have??
Old 04-19-2017, 03:38 PM
Lastshot

Editing Steve's posts and correcting his spelling
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
how fast is 15 grains moving at the muzzle? I know they will drop off quickly, but Geeze.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We have been shooting the 15 grain lead free for about two months. I've run it through a chronograph and have shot some ground squirrels with the ammo as well. Here was our announcement on the release: http://www.varminter.com/new-lead-fr...om-winchester/

In a nutshell, the 15 grain lead free is right at 3300fps out of my Franklin Armory SPR rifle (18" barrel). It groups well, but we plan on shooting the ammo out of every 17WSM chambered rifle that we have available to shoot right now (#7 rifles).

If you have any other questions, ask away!

Eric

Old 04-19-2017, 10:37 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
We have been shooting the 15 grain lead free for about two months. I've run it through a chronograph and have shot some ground squirrels with the ammo as well. Here was our announcement on the release: http://www.varminter.com/new-lead-fr...om-winchester/

In a nutshell, the 15 grain lead free is right at 3300fps out of my Franklin Armory SPR rifle (18" barrel). It groups well, but we plan on shooting the ammo out of every 17WSM chambered rifle that we have available to shoot right now (#7 rifles).

If you have any other questions, ask away!

Eric
How accurate is accurate? How explosive at what ranges on the ground rats.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm getting a bit under one inch (it will probably be better from a traditional bench) at 100 yards and a cluster you can cover with your index finger at 50 yards.

I've killed them out to 160 yards (small Southern Idaho squirrels). Expansion is good, but as with all lead free bullets, it does not have the extreme damage the lead bullets cause. They are still dead though.

I'd post a picture, but you know... Check out our Instagram Page for the pics you seek.

Eric
Old 04-20-2017, 11:56 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eric, I see they're calling this bullet 15gr but can we assume it's the same 15.5gr NTX bullet they use in the 17 Hornet ammo???

I'd find it hard to believe they'd make a whole different bullet for only half a grain but let me guess, they're swearing up and down it's a different bullet, right? lol
Old 04-20-2017, 11:58 AM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am interested in the 20 grain lead free. Is it a monolithic copper hollow point? Is it actually doing 2,875 fps? As accurate as the 15 grain?
Old 04-20-2017, 08:57 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I'm getting a bit under one inch (it will probably be better from a traditional bench) at 100 yards and a cluster you can cover with your index finger at 50 yards.

I've killed them out to 160 yards (small Southern Idaho squirrels). Expansion is good, but as with all lead free bullets, it does not have the extreme damage the lead bullets cause. They are still dead though.

I'd post a picture, but you know... Check out our Instagram Page for the pics you seek.

Eric
Sub MOA?
Old 04-20-2017, 10:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Eric, I see they're calling this bullet 15gr but can we assume it's the same 15.5gr NTX bullet they use in the 17 Hornet ammo???

I'd find it hard to believe they'd make a whole different bullet for only half a grain but let me guess, they're swearing up and down it's a different bullet, right? lol
Most likely, it's a Winchester bullet. If that's the case, it very well may be 15 grain. I'll be including that in my full review of the ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacR View Post
I am interested in the 20 grain lead free. Is it a monolithic copper hollow point? Is it actually doing 2,875 fps? As accurate as the 15 grain?
The 20 grain lead-free does not exist in the market and probably never will. Winchester's engineers decided to go with the 15 grain option, which I believe was the correct choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Sub MOA?
I'm not saying that officially yet. I need to put more rounds into targets before I can give that determination.

Eric
Old 04-21-2017, 02:13 AM
Lastshot

Editing Steve's posts and correcting his spelling
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Our fascination with sub MOA is a fascination to me. It used to be a MOA gun was a fantastic gun, now If it isnt moa, we think it sucks. When I was younger a gun that was MO deer was good enough, something like 3 inches at 100 yards was a fair rifle. I am not picking, because I have gotten the same way, I want all of mine to shoot fantastic, I am often disappointed.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:34 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastshot View Post
Our fascination with sub MOA is a fascination to me. It used to be a MOA gun was a fantastic gun, now If it isnt moa, we think it sucks. When I was younger a gun that was MO deer was good enough, something like 3 inches at 100 yards was a fair rifle. I am not picking, because I have gotten the same way, I want all of mine to shoot fantastic, I am often disappointed.
Not so long ago if a rifle shot an inch at 100yds it was an exceptional shooter. It also gave reloaders something to aspire for while working like elves into the wee hours tuning loads to squeeze out just a little more accuracy. Now rim fired factory ammo is on the same track with better and better performance with some getting 1/2 MOA groups @ 100yds.. Holy moly!!

Last edited by Al the Infidel; 04-21-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:19 AM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The 20 grain lead-free does not exist in the market and probably never will. Winchester's engineers decided to go with the 15 grain option, which I believe was the correct choice.

What is the story behind this picture?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WSM ammo.JPG (34.4 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Steve in IN; 04-21-2017 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Put quote into quote code